Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Jetboil fuel

Default Shipping Jetboil fuel

Called Nortern Air Cargo about shipping Jetboil fuel ( Isobutane) to Kotz they said they won't ship it . Any ideas?

Had the same problem a few years back; I remember a solution involving ocean going vessels... That would involve knowing someone in Kotz to ship the fuel to and have them store it for you until you arrive. I'm not sure how frequently cargo ships head up that way either so it may be too late at this point (if you're planning an August hunt). We ended up switching to an MSR stove fueled by white gas (can be purchased at the AC store in Kotz among other places).

Can't you take the peak fuel that is dot certified

There's none in Kotz for you to buy?

Definite issue for traveling outdoorsmen and women. I always generally think that NO FUEL can be transported by commercial or cargo aircraft. If a truck or boat can't get there, I can't ship fuel there. Ultimately the best solution for me has been to use a white gas stove. I am always able to buy white gas or other suitable liquid fuel somewhere near my staging point. In fact, I think the official Coleman Fuel well is located in Alaska somewhere.

I'm pretty sure there's a way for you to get Jetboil fuel close to your final destination, by shipping it way ahead of time. Not knowing the particulars of the trip you're taking makes it impossible to be sure.

You can buy DOT approved fuel canisters in Sportsmans and other sporting goods shops. It flies no problem.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    You can buy DOT approved fuel canisters in Sportsmans and other sporting goods shops. It flies no problem.

You are right they will fly the DOT stuff,,, I checked into it last year. The HAZMAT cost were not worth it for a couple cans of fuel.

You will find White Gas and One lb Propane cans in most villages, with white can the most available.

Whitegas stove are my first choice but are harder to fly than a propane screw one burner, that goes on top of a 1LB propane can.
    The airlines can get picky about dirty gas stoves and fuel smell in the fuel bottles.

If you do use white gas flush your stoves with diesel then wipe down with alcohol to reduce gas odor.
    I mark mine with a home made tag that reads " Cleaned and Flushed, No Fuel IAW"

One last light weight option I have used is an Alcohol stove something like the Caldera Keg, I have used this system and like it for remote hunts, were ISO fuel is unavailable. I have been able to buy HEAT fuel deicer in any place that sell fuel. I burn the yellow HEAT as fuel.

The last tip is call your transporter NOW, ask if they have any ISO fuel that hunters have left and if so can you either have it or buy it. Have them pack it away with your name on it, but still have a plan B.

I have seen a lot of ISO fuel left behind that somehow made it to the transporters. Not worth getting caught trying to sneak it in.

Happy hunting.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 07-30-2011 at 11:35.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If you decided to go with white gas (which is prob a good idea) I usually purchase a NEW container. Even though flushed, cleaned, soaped, or perfumed some "inspectors" will not let a used contained on a plane - how ever unreasonable that position is! I just avoid the whole confrontation by purchasing a new, unused container. Yup, I have more than one contained in the garage - some only used once. For some odd reason returning has never been a prob - if it were, I would just toss the container if the problem came up. Good Luck
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I'd love to use a Jetboil or one of the other canister stoves, but HAZMAT regs are inflexible. Unless you can buy it in the bush, do exactly what shphtr or the stid says and buy a MSR multifuel stove. They work with whatever you can get at the bush village, or even from gas out of the plane's tank. Don't ever think about circumventing the airline hazmat rules. Unsafe and you'll be very sorry should you get caught

Get one of these:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves...ionale/product

I have flown all over Alaska with my Whisperlite Internationale white gas stoves and never had an issue. As stated above, clean out the fuel bottles and such. Take an extra pump.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If you're shipping a used fuel tank or canister it must have no fuel odor. If you want to make sure there are no issues like this it is best to ship a new stove. I've also been successful using plain old unleaded gas in any stove that uses "white gas". That way there's no need to worry about finding Coleman fuel when you get out to the village or wherever.

call tgifreight in anchorage .they might be able to package and label the fuel how it needs to be so you can ship it

I flew out with a transporter on Kodiak and they had a lot of fuel left from hunters who didn't use all theirs and just left it for other hunters. Your transporter might have the same. There was also a ton of salt that wasn't used and was their for the taking. Give your transporter a call, they might have some left overs from other hunters as well.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Had the same problem last year with Wright air and our Jet boil fuel . We were given a list of approved fuel that could ship .
    Here is the thread that covers it , look on page three.

RR

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...09-Jet-Boil-or
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I have flown all over Alaska with my Whisperlite Internationale white gas stoves and never had an issue. As stated above, clean out the fuel bottles and such. Take an extra pump.
    Same here. They burn 100LL right out of the airplane tank drains just fine
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Jet boil to kotz

Your screwed.i accidenally had 4 canisters of jetboil in my checked bag a couple years back and the feds had a fit. It cost $250x 4= $1000. Expensive lesson for sure. Jetbiol canisters are not dot approved and can not be shipped via any commercial air carrier.i was also flying to kotzebue. Get your self something that will run in gas/kerosene etc......

I called Northern Air Cargo about the Snow Peak Giga Power and sure as Ranger Rick said they will ship it. It must be shippped with the proper paper work that you can get off the net or they will print it at NAC. The guy I talked with said the Jetboil and MSR fuel canisters are not made to the specs that the Snow Peak are. Thanks for all replies guys and good hunting

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysack View Post
    I called Northern Air Cargo about the Snow Peak Giga Power and sure as Ranger Rick said they will ship it. It must be shippped with the proper paper work that you can get off the net or they will print it at NAC. The guy I talked with said the Jetboil and MSR fuel canisters are not made to the specs that the Snow Peak are. Thanks for all replies guys and good hunting
    So you can ship it, can you check it as luggage or no?

The word I have is that it cannot fly on a commercial passenger plane so probably a no-go as far as checking it in your luggage. I am sure that NAC will get it there and you can possibly get it on a private charter flight but you are not likely to be able to toss it in your luggage and check it at the Delta Air counter.

From the DOT-SP 12274 document:

9. MODES OF TRANSPORTATION AUTHORIZED Motor vehicle, rail
    freight, cargo vessel, and cargo only aircraft.

For you MSR fuel bottle owners out there you can wash your fuel bottles (and caps) out with hot water and soap. Rinse well in hot hot water and stick a loosely spindled paper towel inside to blot up water left inside. I have shipped fuel bottles cleaned this way (with the cap off) with no problems.

Also, change your cap O-rings every few years.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast