Thread: questions about the little su river

Default questions about the little su river

I tried to send this to Mr. Fullbush, his inbox is full.

I just moved here a month ago, dont have a clue, love to fish, read your thread on fishing the little su with great interest in trying it myself. I've fly fished a few times on the ausable in michigan where I'm from. I have lots of flies and gear but had to sell most other things to move here, (off the trunk between wasilla and palmer). I've fished the eklutna tailrace several times with no luck. If your, (anyone), is inclined I have a few questions;

1) Do I need a float boat (personal pontoon like whats sold at sportsmens warehouse) to fish the little su off of church rd? I'll buy what I need to, (fished out of dry fly drift boats in the past) but dont want to buy a boat that isnt going to be practical for most stuff.

2)I'm definately not an expert at flyfishing but not quite a novice either, is the river fast with sweepers? The rivers I've fished are moderate, fished heavily and clear for most of the way, plenty of time to dig in your heals and fish the hole in front of you, is that similar to the little su on that stretch?

3) Can I just drive down that road that follows the river (off of church) and there will be trails to walk down to the river, or is it mostly private?

4)Anyone willing to spend a few hours getting me started, beer/liquor/flies/food whatever your vice is, is on me if you feel like putting up with too many questions from a newbie for 1/2 a day on the river, I really need to start catching some trout.

Little about me; I'm 40, married with kids, wife and I are both working for the school district starting in August, hence my urgency to get some fish.
    all the best
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post

I just moved here a month ago, dont have a clue, love to fish, read your thread on fishing the little su with great interest in trying it myself. I've fly fished a few times on the ausable in michigan where I'm from. I have lots of flies and gear but had to sell most other things to move here, (off the trunk between wasilla and palmer). I've fished the eklutna tailrace several times with no luck. If your, (anyone), is inclined I have a few questions;

1) Do I need a float boat (personal pontoon like whats sold at sportsmens warehouse) to fish the little su off of church rd? I'll buy what I need to, (fished out of dry fly drift boats in the past) but dont want to buy a boat that isnt going to be practical for most stuff.

2)I'm definately not an expert at flyfishing but not quite a novice either, is the river fast with sweepers? The rivers I've fished are moderate, fished heavily and clear for most of the way, plenty of time to dig in your heals and fish the hole in front of you, is that similar to the little su on that stretch?

3) Can I just drive down that road that follows the river (off of church) and there will be trails to walk down to the river, or is it mostly private?

4)Anyone willing to spend a few hours getting me started, beer/liquor/flies/food whatever your vice is, is on me if you feel like putting up with too many questions from a newbie for 1/2 a day on the river, I really need to start catching some trout.

Little about me; I'm 40, married with kids, wife and I are both working for the school district starting in August, hence my urgency to get some fish.
    all the best
    Ron
    Others should be able to comment on more of your questions, but regarding the float tube, I woudln't even consider it. With the idiots running 20+ foot inboard jetboats on that river, flying around corners faster than they can adjust for people coming the other way, the last thing I would want to do would be to be floating in an inner tube type things in the middle. It used to be tame, but that was 20+ years ago. Now, I am leery about being out there in a 19' freighter canoe because of the likelyhood of being run over.

So you are talking the little sue from Schrock road north of Wasilla down to Houston? If you take church road to the end turn left and a short way there is a bridge there. I floated it last year and its smaller so a pontoon raft will work fine. There is a lot of trees and stumps and what not to stay out of. It moves along faster than the lower part of the river. Not many people or boats go on this part of the river. I never saw anyone the whole way. There are some good holes to fish didn't have much luck with the little fishing I did. Its about 17 miles and if your doing it in 1 day better get going early. Better over night trip. If you have floated rivers before you should be fine. If not I wouldn't make this your first trip. Its a fun float but lots of sweepers.

I wouldn't call it fast on that section under normal conditions, faster than below the Houston area but slower than Hatchers Pass. Canoes, catarafts, etc would work fine. The crazies in the powerboats wouldn't come in till the last few miles before the highway bridge in Houston. They're mostly FAR below the highway closer to the Burma area launch but a few actually run all the way up above the highway. There are alot of sweepers and logjams, some that require portage around, however. I personally haven't floated that section of the river since the 80s as a crazy teen so I couldn't provide specific details. I'd figure a full day+ to the highway if you're doing a little bit of fishing.

I'm sure it is developed and private property along the shoreline all the way to the highway by now. I remember it being mostly wild back in the early 80s. Shrock parallels the river for a short distance, but there's houses and private property between. The bridge at Sushana has room around it before you hit private property. The bridge at the end of Shrock (the paved part at least) has a small parking area and a trail off to the left, but the land on three corners is private. One owner has a sign about cannibalism so you might want to stay out of their yard!

I was at the Shrock bridge last night and did pretty well hooking 5 dollies and a couple of those yellowish trout (they looked jaundiced, can fish get liver disease? ) on tangerine and caramel 8mm beads. The kings are spawning along with some chum, let them be and fish behind them.

I sure do appreciate the replies, sounds like I should look for a shorter float, I'd think 17 miles won't leave much time to fish in 1 day.

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post

all the best
    Ron
    Hey Ron I just noticed this thread, sorry I didn't catch it sooner. My in-box looks like the rap sheet of Bill Allen. Michael S and Brian M keep my in-box jumpin w/ short notes of endearment

You have to know a property owner on Pittman to pull out otherwise you have to go all the way to Houston. The pontoon boat I used was like a 8 footer from sportsmans warehouse (my bro-in-laws) I'd love to fish w/ you Ron but because of my vocation coupled w/ ALL my wifes relatives showing up on Sunday I'm hooked up till fall. Remind me then..I dumped some PM's I have room now

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov