Thread: "Green Boxes"

Default "Green Boxes"

"Green Boxes"
    Please take time if you will and read my new article entitled "Green Boxes" here is the link, Thanks Mike http://ammoguide.com/?article=mhsp68/greenboxes
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I read through your article BT. It is nicely done and characteristic of your enthusiasm for the hunting, shooting and reloading interests shared by our forum community of friends here.

I have many of those green boxes on the shelf in my reloading area as well. Some of my most accurate loads have been with those bullets, some not. There is no question that those green box bullets get the job done because they have over the years. I personally don't use them in the fall up here for big game with my .375H&H, and I don't use them for spring black bear with my .257WBY. I only use TSX's for those applications for many good reasons associated with my hunting style. However, that doesn't mean TSX's (or any premium bullets) are the only bullet that should ever be used for all hunting purposes for everyone, which I think is part of your message.

I feel that we are so fortunate to have so many bullet choices available for us handloaders....it is fantastic!

Chuck

I don't have a favorite big game bullet. I choose a bullet for the game specific conditions. I like cup core bullets like Sierra GK and Pro Hunter, Hornady Interlock, and Nosler Partition. I also like bonded bullets like Swift A-Frame for heavy up close shots on dangerous game and will try now the North Fork in these conditions. I do not favor the homogeneous bullets like the Barnes X, TSX or TTSX, as some who are using them as an all around bullet do. I have really tried to like the X, TSX and TTSX over the last seven years (the TTSX for two years and none of them this last year) in the field and I am not impressed because of the lack of consistency.

Now Barnes fans don't get bent out of shape, I know you have watched their video and think that this is the only bullet one should use, and the only bullet for "performance and not de-formance" (I got so tired of that talking point in the video) - but I think after some years, folks will get over that tall tail if they will try other types of bullets. I have tried Barnes in the field in varying conditions and on varying types of game at different distances out to 354yds - and I am not impressed!!!!

I take great pains to place my shots where they are suppose to go when in the field, and I have had to track more and follow more game with the Barnes bullets percentage wise, than with any other bullet design I have ever used. So, I don't have a favorite bullet for big game, just one I like the least, and the others I have mentioned above that have done the job for years and meet the game and condition specific need. Your mileage might very, and that is what is so great about where we live. We do have options and we don't all like to drive the same car or truck either.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice article beartooth. It is too bad Sierra doesn't make a .366 bullet - I would look no further!

Very informative article Beartooth, I enjoyed reading it. I have only shot the Matchking bullets (not for hunting) and like being able to pick up the phone and get to talk to someone at Sierra.

Well put! It fires me up too, because i just scored on 5 boxes of those Seirra's (165 gr HPBT).............$10 per box.
    BT, your writing is very good.

Thank you very much, kind of you to say so.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS