Thread: How do I ripen my tomatoes?

Default How do I ripen my tomatoes?

Hello guys. I have a lot of nice looking mature tomatoes in my greenhouse but they are staying green. Anybody know if there is something I can feed them to make them turn red? Thanks in advance for the advice.

You could pick them and wrap them in newspaper. Don't know how it works, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hello guys. I have a lot of nice looking mature tomatoes in my greenhouse but they are staying green. Anybody know if there is something I can feed them to make them turn red? Thanks in advance for the advice.
    I was beginning to wonder and worry about my tomatoes also... only a couple tomatoes had actually turned colors and ripened.. Now however in the last two days I see other tomatoes beginning to change colors.. I think my basic problem is that I made poor choices on the variety of tomatoes to grow....(this year)...

If you're using a fertilizer that has any nitrogen in it... stop!

Make sure you are pinching off all the suckers and start trimming back new flowers. When the plant doesn't have new growth to work on, it will refocus on ripening existing fruit.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have noticed that if there is one tomato ripening it kind of triggers the rest to start. My thought was to buy a farmers market ripened tomato and put it by a bunch of mature green ones to trigger them to turn. I do the trimming and pinching too but otherwise tomatoes take FOREVER!

My mother use to wrap them in a small blanket or towel, put them in a box and within a few days, they would start to turn red.

good luck I have tried this the last couple years with grrn tomatos by the time I am done I have a bunch of green FUZZY tomato's. I hope something works I hate seeing good food go bad.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Ironartist Etheline gas will ripen your fruit. Pick one or a few and place in a bag with an apple or two you will have red tomatos, works for green bananas too.

Be patient. Nature will ripen those tomatoes just fine. In the fall when you're running out of time and the temps are threatening the plants we pull them and hang them upside down in the garage. No reason to panic and do that now in the peak of the gardening season.

Don't pick them yet. If you pick them they will not be as sweet. Like mr. Pib said wait till frost is threatening before you pick green tomatoes.

Start looking up recipes for green tomato pickles. Those are a good way to get rid of green tomatoes.

put orange or red tarp/plastic/spare rain pants underneath plants.

"Time" is the best answer.
    Add a few sunny days in, they'll ripen.
    Much better if vine ripened.
    Good luck

My mom always used to say to cut the water off to trigger the ripening. Water them just enought o keep them alive.

I haven't had to do that, I have toms running out of my ears. Speaking of ears, my corn has huge ears and they look ripe too.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it