Thread: Kasilof or not to Kasilof?

Default Kasilof or not to Kasilof?

I need about another 15-20 fish for my family but I will be out of town until Aug.1. I know the Kasilof is open til Aug. 7 but is it worth driving from the Mat-Su? I'm not sure whether to go there or up to Chitna. Any thoughts or advice?

I caught 26 on the Kenai earlier and unded up wasting around ten on a bad canning incident...so, I need to redo my canning and still room in the freezer.

Default If it were me...

Factors to consider:
    1. It's only slightly farther to Chitina from Wasilla than it is to Kasilof.
    2. You will have to contend with a terminal fishery at the Kasilof.
    3. Kasilof reds don't hold a candle to Copper reds size-wise.
    4. IMO Copper reds taste way mo' bettuh.
    5. Is this a humpy year?
    6. I fished the Kasilof at the end of the season a few years ago and only caught one fish; a silver. Not complaining, now, it was delicious.

When all else fails, try this:

~tr

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Go to Fish Creek.....save a lot of gas.

Awesome graphic Gr8fl! Thats what I need for pretty much every weekend. But I need a third die that has hunting, fishing and camping on it.

I was down on the Kasilof on the 19th and thought it was pretty slow, but there were those few lucky individuals that nailed them. It probably didn't help that they had an emergency opener that day either. On the 25th I was driving through and knew full well it was a commercial opening, but figured since I was there anyway I would give it a try -- 3 Reds and one Silver, all smallish, in 7 hours and others complaining about it being slow on both of those days, but there was one woman we all wondered at as she couldn‘t seem to even wet her net without getting a fish. I don't know if this was just a slow year at Kasilof, or I just hit it at the wrong times. From all I hear they kicked butt on the Kenai this year.

I live out here in the Knik area and might give it a try just for the heck of it, but it is always crowded and muddy at the best of times as well as some inconsiderate slobs that disregard private property and trash the area pretty badly each year which makes the rest of us look bad, the piglets in the minority, but their mess is sure in the majority.

As to the Copper, they run later up there and if you call Hem's, and can get hold of one of them, they will tell you right up front if it is worth the trip or not, even if you don't charter with them. You can always get a recorded message on their phone too. I used to either walk in or 4 wheel and then hump fish up the cliffs, but the last time I was there I was by myself and with no help decided to spend the money and charter, I now highly recommend that route.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post

I live out here in the Knik area and might give it a try just for the heck of it, but it is always crowded and muddy at the best of times as well as some inconsiderate slobs that disregard private property and trash the area pretty badly each year which makes the rest of us look bad, the piglets in the minority, but their mess is sure in the majority.

4 ATV's this morning but other than that fewer people overall than last year. less fish though too. I wouldn't depend on fish for a meat run. if you do either you have to mudbog it to the mouth or go with the morning opener. average this morning was maybe 1 or 2 per net in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    ...I need a third die that has hunting, fishing and camping on it.
    I'll have to check with R&D on that one...

Default the Decisionometer

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    But I need a third die that has hunting, fishing and camping on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    I'll have to check with R&D on that one...
    Here's what they came up with:

~tr

Default single

~tr
    Your entire R&D department (despite their clearcut skill in all things technical and graphical) are quite obviously all SINGLE.

~tr
    Your 'o-meter is missing another category: range shooting/target practice. That is a great filler for when you just can't go anywhere but still have some time on your hands.

We spent the last couple days camping at the Kasilof, north and south shore, for the first time. At a couple fish a tide it seemed slow, and sonar counts steadily dropped over the couple days we were there. The kids loved playing at the beach, and overall it was family friendly. After reading about trash being left behind etc... I was pretty impressed at how relatively clean the campsites and surrounding area was for being an public use type area. Spent 20 min with the kids and a trash bag leaving our surrounding area cleaner than we found it before we left.

Spent the 19th at the Kasilof North Shore. Wife, kids and I ended up with 14 reds and 2 pinks from 7 am until around 2:30. Most people were hitting some, but I think we did better than average. We were very pleased with how much cleaner the whole area was this year compared to last year. It was pretty pleasant, with fewer people, too.

Then my son and I went with a friend to Kenai North Shore on the 26th. Fishing was great -- The three of us ended up with 52 reds between us dipping from around 7 am until 2:30. Best part was my son (age 9), standing in ankle deep water with the net submerged in under 2.5 feet of water, catching fish behind the rest of us. But I was also impressed (?depressed?) with how much trashier the beach was there. Lots of cans, plastic, paper, etc. We hauled some out to the trash cans, but it was quite a different scene from the Kasilof this year. Wish we lived closer. Would be nice to be part of the clean-up crew down there to make the area nice again. Maybe we can "pay if forward" on Fish Creek in Wasilly this week, as we live just down the road...

Personnel wise, we had a great visit with dippers at both rivers this year. Everyone seemed pretty cool and it helped pass the time between fish to swap stories and have a good laugh with folks.
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"