Thread: Hunting Knight Island area for Deer?

Default Hunting Knight Island area for Deer?

Anyone hunted Knight Island area for Deer? I'm a little concerned about getting to Montegue with my boat but Knight island seems doable without much open water. Even the bays accross from Knight Island to the west look like they might be good.

I hunted north Knight last Thanksgiving. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Just remember while there might not be huge stretches of open water, the fjords can make for some fairly long catches and hence some big waves can build when the wind conditions are right. Also where multiple passages connect can make for some nasty mixed seas.

Yea that is my main concern for sure. Perry passage looks like it can get nasty with northern or southern winds. I was thinking I could run Culross passage and avoid a big portion of the open area and then run across from from there. For that matter I might try hunting Culross though it would probably get hunted a lot more often.

In my experience commercial fishing out there, the two biggest areas of concern that you'll be crossing are Port Wells and the open area in front of Main Bay that you'll have to cross before reaching Knight Island. Perry Passage can get nasty, as can Port Nellie Juan, but for some reason Port Wells seems to get bad more frequently than Perry or Nellie Juan. You need to spend some time with the charts before you go and map out a number of places along the way where you can get out of the weather if it gets nasty all of the sudden. The seas can go from flat calm to 6' waves in a heartbeat out there, so it's better to plan ahead.

-Brian

Agree 100% it an turn nasty with in minutes...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whenever there is a pressure differential across the mountains, Whittier is the low point that funnels the air, so it has the potential for the worst water. When we came back from Montague a few years back from a deer hunt in November, the worst water was running into port after running up Culross. So just because you don't run into the sound proper, doesn't mean your trip might not be delayed by rough water.

Cook Inlet does the same thing, its the S SW wind. Are tides very big in that area?

How was Culross passage? Is it a better way than Perry? Looks like its sheltered more as long as wind doesnt come right down it.

Default Go get em..

Just leave in bad weather, it might just turn nice in minutes and you'll be able to carry on as expected. That's how all my trips seemed to work out last year. Sorry, just fealt like being a smartass, I know this doesn't help much.

Chris

culross is sheltered for sure and a good reprive from the big waves, out front of main bay, nellie jaun, and wells can get pretty dang choppy (especially in a 20 foot skiff) but if you check the weather you'll be fine. Winds out of the north east are the worst. Watch out for rocks around foul bay and all the way out past eshamay
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.