Thread: Wrangell Mountains... Messa Lake or sheep/Grissley Lake???

Default Wrangell Mountains... Messa Lake or sheep/Grissley Lake???

My dad and I are flying into the area for a sheep hunt and we are trying to decide to go to Messa Lake or sheep or grizzley lake... any preferences?

Which air service are you using?

Regardless, be ready to compete for any legal rams in that area.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Regardless, be ready to compete for any legal rams in that area.

Taylor

Better options for sure. People can and do get rams out of there, but Taylor is right.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Much hunting pressure in both areas.

Buckkunz,
    As with any and all sheep hunting in this day-and-age, be physically and mentally prepared to hike 6 or 8+ miles from the lakes you mentioned. This, of course, is standard procedure for sheep hunting. Each of those lakes will have a few drop-off teams. I would not ever expect to see legal rams within "spotting scope distance" of the lakes. So "outlive" your competition by putting barriors between you and the drop-off lake. Barriors like stream crossings, ridge lines involving climbing, or simply out-hiking the competition.

But be assured that there are legal rams in the country around each of those lakes.

I have shot rams in the first hour of light on opening day, and I have shot a ram as late as 2:08PM on the tenth day of a ten day hunt. So be prepared to hunt hard for the duration of your hunt. Be aware that a percentage of hunters have one big climb in their legs. Others have enough mojo for one big climb, and then a smaller climb the next day. Too many hunters, especially big guys, are either mentally or physically done by day three, and back at the pick-up point on day four or five. But some of those guys can actually hunt and hike their way to better conditioning if they would just stay out and "grit it out" for another week. So just be prepared to go slow, steady, and strong for the duration of the hunt. Don't take any "days off" to rest. Just work slower if you need to when you feeling beat-up. You can take "days off" the rest of the year.
    Have a great hunt. And let us know how the hunt "panned-out" after you return.

AlaskaTrueAdventure/Dennis

That was great advice by Dennis. Regarding that part of the Wrangells there WILL be competition. I was sent home after prebooking a charter into that area a couple of years ago when the pilot cited "too much pressure". I took a ram out of there about 6 years ago before some of the surrounding areas changed to drawing permits. There are rams out there though, so hunt hard and take Dennis's advice and enjoy your time in the mountains.