Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Great day on the Kenai!

  1. #1
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default Great day on the Kenai!

    What a day! My wife and I floated the Upper Kenai and had a wonderful day. It started off with us fishing a hole with a ton of reds in it, but they were all colored up. I was having no luck yet my wife managed to pull out two chrome colored reds hooked square in the mouth.

    We moved down river and saw a Brown bear with two cubs. The cubs were pretty fun to watch, as they played around and were oblivious to the world around them.

    I have never really fished for trout on this river and thought it was about time I gave it a shot. I through on a tasty looking flesh fly and hocked in the water behind a root wad and swirling eddy. A few casts and drifts later I saw a nice rainbow lunge out of the shadows and nail the flesh fly. What an awesome rush! This is the biggest rainbow that I've ever caught.

    My wife and I continued fishing for reds, as we'd like to put a bunch in the freezer and smoker. We ended the day with seven nicely chromed fish. It would have been a spectacular day if I wouldn't have left my net sitting on a gravel bar. LOL!


    IMG_1988.jpg

  2. #2
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Nice lookin bow!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  3. #3
    Member Firefisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Sounds like a great time. Way to put it together! Isn't it amazing how good women are at fishing?

  4. #4
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Here's some pics of our catch, my wife caught the biggest one, of course! It was a huge red, it dwarfed the others by quite a bit.



    IMG_2014.jpgIMG_2021.jpg

  5. #5
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    where did you guys start and end your float?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  6. #6
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default

    Way to go mossyhorn--looks like the lady kicked butt.That was you guys in the "bug" right ? Seeing the sow and cubs was super cool.Oh...very nice rainbow also.We went by you in the mini-drifter.What an awesome day on the river.

    Too bad you left your net on a gravel bar--hope someone will get it back to you........Did you get too anxious to go after more fish and space it off ?Easy to do in the heat of the moment.......I think we have all left gear at times..a knife..a pole...the dog...a kid...my ex-wife...

  7. #7
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    We started at sportsman's and drifted to jim's. I sat the net on the gravel bar near a log and just forgot about. I was down the river a ways and noticed it wasn't in the boat. I guess someone got a nice gift! Lol! Mark, ya that was us in Chuck's cataraft. Those cubs were funny.

  8. #8
    Member fishak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    452

    Default

    wish i could say the same for us, guess we weren't high enough. started out at that pull out right after jims on skilak road and tried there for a hour and a half with nothing. there were a few snaggers there and the only fish i saw caught or rising were tomatos. thinking they are still lower, we head to bings for 3 hours and got 1 fish to keep. not hot at all at those places. nice rainbow and reds. i just started fishing for those bows late last season and im hooked haha
    hook, line, sinker, done.

  9. #9
    Member Mark Collett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Between the Willapa Rivers, United States
    Posts
    467

    Default

    I got some decent video of the Grizllies but haven't downloaded it yet.I'll take care of that later and put it on here.

  10. #10
    Guest
    Guest

    Default

    Nice fish, looks like you had a lot of fun!

  11. #11

    Default

    We drifted the same from Sportsmans to Jim's Friday and only saw 1 chrome fish the whole way down. Lots of tomatoes but only 1 keepable fish. With the numbers of fish in the river I was amazed they were not there. Lots of people fishing just below the take out at Jim's. Must have watched 20 fish for an hour and not a single fish among them... That's 20 man hours of dead fishing! I called a buddy that lives on the Kenai in Sterling and he gave the same report. Very few fish. Where are they?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Are we being deceived?

    I keep hearing and experienceing this sort of report - NO FISH - over and over this year. The reports are both on the lower and upper river and dipnetting. There are indeed a few hot periods but the counts don't reflect any slow periods at all - every day has been hot per the counter.

    As an engineer that has been involved with measurements for over 40 years I've learned several important lessons. One that sticks out is this: when you changed your measurment tool and/or the way you measure somethng and the results aren't what you normally get - suspect the instruments.

    I suspect the new sonar is much more accurate that the old one or is over counting. Either we were really getting a lot more fish up the river in the past than we realized or the we are getting a lot less than we are being told.
    Bottom line: the comm guys are doing great while most of us Alaska residents that depend on the fish for food and recreation aren't doing so well.
    We've heard this story so many times before!



    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    We drifted the same from Sportsmans to Jim's Friday and only saw 1 chrome fish the whole way down. Lots of tomatoes but only 1 keepable fish. With the numbers of fish in the river I was amazed they were not there. Lots of people fishing just below the take out at Jim's. Must have watched 20 fish for an hour and not a single fish among them... That's 20 man hours of dead fishing! I called a buddy that lives on the Kenai in Sterling and he gave the same report. Very few fish. Where are they?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I keep hearing and experienceing this sort of report - NO FISH - over and over this year. The reports are both on the lower and upper river and dipnetting. There are indeed a few hot periods but the counts don't reflect any slow periods at all - every day has been hot per the counter.

    As an engineer that has been involved with measurements for over 40 years I've learned several important lessons. One that sticks out is this: when you changed your measurment tool and/or the way you measure somethng and the results aren't what you normally get - suspect the instruments.

    I suspect the new sonar is much more accurate that the old one or is over counting. Either we were really getting a lot more fish up the river in the past than we realized or the we are getting a lot less than we are being told.
    Bottom line: the comm guys are doing great while most of us Alaska residents that depend on the fish for food and recreation aren't doing so well.
    We've heard this story so many times before!
    You realize they operated the two concurrently for the past 3 years to gauge the difference before implementing the DIDSON as the official counter right?

    I've had little trouble limiting every day i've put in a couple hours since the fish first hit the river. I suspect some of the posts from folks who didn't do so well are the same folks who are standing waist deep in the river, they're not catching becuase the fish are running behind them.

    I do find it interesting that we've had two solid returns in a row now, as counted at the mouth, with few returners to some of the up river spawning ares. Perhaps pointing out a flaw in using a single site to manage a non-selective fishery to count fish that are headed to multiple tributaries?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default fishing is always good - if you catch fish

    I do realize that they were using two counters and implementing a 1.4 factor to adjust for past differences. But we haven't had a reported big run like this year to compare the two. If I recall 2004 would be an intersting comparison - there were lots of fish for everyone that year.

    I'm sure lots of people walk down to the river and catch their limit in 5 minutes or less every day a different times of the day all season. And some people go to Vegas and win year afer year - luck is a big factor as well as the numbers of fish.

    Skill certainly is a factor also - some people just don't know what they are doing - but I rank myself as a fairly skilled fisheman for reds as are a lot of my friends. We aren't seeing the fish we have in past up river or down river although there have been a few surges reported. With huge runs day after day there simply should be more fish in the river. "Ample opportunity" just isn't there for this kind of run.

    An additional measuring spot may be interesting but since the run is managed primarily for commercial harvest why should anything change as long as there are big runs for the comm guys to harvest?


    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    You realize they operated the two concurrently for the past 3 years to gauge the difference before implementing the DIDSON as the official counter right?

    I've had little trouble limiting every day i've put in a couple hours since the fish first hit the river. I suspect some of the posts from folks who didn't do so well are the same folks who are standing waist deep in the river, they're not catching becuase the fish are running behind them.

    I do find it interesting that we've had two solid returns in a row now, as counted at the mouth, with few returners to some of the up river spawning ares. Perhaps pointing out a flaw in using a single site to manage a non-selective fishery to count fish that are headed to multiple tributaries?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Cool What planet are you on?

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    . . We aren't seeing the fish we have in past up river or down river although there have been a few surges reported. With huge runs day after day there simply should be more fish in the river. "Ample opportunity" just isn't there for this kind of run.

    An additional measuring spot may be interesting but since the run is managed primarily for commercial harvest why should anything change as long as there are big runs for the comm guys to harvest?
    tv,

    I've heard people before trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you've got to be the first person I ever heard trying to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

    This year's run is outstanding . . and everyone I know has easily taken all the fish they want. Every time I've been to Swiftwater to dump a bucket of guts, I've seen fish-on, fish-on, fish-on.

    Fish-on . . .

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default so where are the fish....

    So why when I go down there are few fish - not I or anyone around me are catch more than a few? Some obviously don't know how to fish - I most often catch fish even when others don't.

    A friend was down at Swiftwater yesterday and a only saw a few fish go by in small buches occassionally - cerainly not a record run or anything to shout about. He left and went upstream by Bings- found no fish there. Continued up to the Russian and finally found some up there.

    The comm guys are very happy and some personal use dipnetter - esp. those in boats -are sucessfull but if you read the posts in this forum and the newspaper I'm not the only one asking "Where are all the fish we keep hearing about?"




    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus;982618[SIZE=1
    ][/SIZE]tv,

    I've heard people before trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you've got to be the first person I ever heard trying to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

    This year's run is outstanding . . and everyone I know has easily taken all the fish they want. Every time I've been to Swiftwater to dump a bucket of guts, I've seen fish-on, fish-on, fish-on.

    Fish-on . . .
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  17. #17
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    I'm not sure how anyone can say that there are or there aren't any fish at bings. That water is so off color you can't see anything in it. My wife and I did fine on the upper and there were plenty of fish, probably should have had our limits but sometimes I couldn't hook a fish to save my life. Constant schools were moving up though with chromers in every pod. Going through Skilak on Monday, it was unreal how many fish were in the lake near the outlet.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    tv,

    I've heard people before trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you've got to be the first person I ever heard trying to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse.

    This year's run is outstanding . . and everyone I know has easily taken all the fish they want. Every time I've been to Swiftwater to dump a bucket of guts, I've seen fish-on, fish-on, fish-on.

    Fish-on . . .
    I have been fishing the Kenai, particularly the upper for about 25 years. I have always, this year included, to catch my limit or near limits every time. Having said that, for the last 4 days while floating from Cooper's Landing to Jim's, I stopped at Sportsman's just to observe. I can say with certainty that the numbers of fish caught by the fishermen in that area as well as that through Jim's is significantly less than what I have experienced in years past. That is not to say that the fish are not on the way, but I know that they are not at that part of the river in any numbers yet.

    I talked to a couple camping next to me and they have been on 2 guided trips - Thursday and today (Saturday) and they report that there have only been 3 fish caught by the guided fisherman combined over those 2 days.

    Note that I am commenting on the upper river.

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Smile Happier'n clams at high tide . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    So why when I go down there are few fish - not I or anyone around me are catch more than a few? Some obviously don't know how to fish - I most often catch fish even when others don't.

    A friend was down at Swiftwater yesterday and a only saw a few fish go by in small buches occassionally - cerainly not a record run or anything to shout about. He left and went upstream by Bings- found no fish there. Continued up to the Russian and finally found some up there.

    The comm guys are very happy and some personal use dipnetter - esp. those in boats -are sucessfull but if you read the posts in this forum and the newspaper I'm not the only one asking "Where are all the fish we keep hearing about?"
    Don't know what to tell you, tv. I've got my fish (40#),our son has his, our daughter, brother-in-law, neighbors, and friends all have theirs. Far more folks than the "comm guys" are very happy.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Dipnetting from a boat?

    Glad you and everyone you know did well. Unfortunately you and yours may not be representative.

    I would guess you got yours from a boat - a lot of us aren't lucky enough to have one and have to drive down from up north to wade out in the water. "Ample opportunity" could be better!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Don't know what to tell you, tv. I've got my fish (40#),our son has his, our daughter, brother-in-law, neighbors, and friends all have theirs. Far more folks than the "comm guys" are very happy.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •