Thread: Cleaning Algae off Boat

Default Cleaning Algae off Boat

Pulled the boat out of the slip today at Homer. How is the best way to get the Algae off of the Hull? I power washed it but that did not work worth a darn. Thanks for any input. Jeff

get one of them bug sprayers that you pump up and spray bleach on it, then spray it off w/ water

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Miracle Grow hose attachment filled with bleach. Soak it let it sit, and rinse.

[QUOTE=FishnMishn;981840]Miracle Grow hose attachment filled with bleach. Soak it let it sit, and rinse.

That's what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Pulled the boat out of the slip today at Homer. How is the best way to get the Algae off of the Hull? I power washed it but that did not work worth a darn. Thanks for any input. Jeff
    I heard that didn't happen in the Homer Harbor I'm slipped in Seward and use the garden sprayer 50/50 water and bleach. It got ahead of me last year when I was out of state for awhile.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Weed eater.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Weed eater.
    Or a goat!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks for the Information about 2 months worth of grass and gunk to get off. I had read Muratic Acid was good also but seems pretty harsh to put on the hull? bleach sounds better thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    I heard that didn't happen in the Homer Harbor I'm slipped in Seward and use the garden sprayer 50/50 water and bleach. It got ahead of me last year when I was out of state for awhile.

This should be posted in the Gardening forum! Nice crop.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMishn View Post
    This should be posted in the Gardening forum! Nice crop.
    I know, I like how its growing on the paper thin zinc plate, that is hilarious! Skinny Raven you need some bottom paint!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    Thanks for the Information about 2 months worth of grass and gunk to get off. I had read Muratic Acid was good also but seems pretty harsh to put on the hull? bleach sounds better thanks again.
    DO NOT put acid on your hull if you don't have to, acid and alloy do not get along.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I know, I like how its growing on the paper thin zinc plate, that is hilarious! Skinny Raven you need some bottom paint!
    I have looked into that but for now a little Clorox and $5.00 at the car wash is going to have to do.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Looks like the greens for dinner to go with the catch, lol

I would try the bleach also.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    get one of them bug sprayers that you pump up and spray bleach on it, then spray it off w/ water
    How long should I let the Bleach sit before rinsing?

Wait maybe 5 minutes to rinse. Some don't even rinse just put it back in the water. I use straight bleach in a weed sprayer and it works great. I can do my boat in about 10 minutes. The main thing to watch out for is getting bleach in your eyes. You can cell later where it gets on your clothes due to the white spots. Also, make sure you rinse your sprayer with fresh water after use or it will not work next time. You will be amazed how well it works. It turns the green white in a couple of minutes and it just falls off.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Wait maybe 5 minutes to rinse. Some don't even rinse just put it back in the water. I use straight bleach in a weed sprayer and it works great. I can do my boat in about 10 minutes. The main thing to watch out for is getting bleach in your eyes. You can cell later where it gets on your clothes due to the white spots. Also, make sure you rinse your sprayer with fresh water after use or it will not work next time. You will be amazed how well it works. It turns the green white in a couple of minutes and it just falls off.
    Many thanks for that bit of info jrogers, I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I assume you're going to do this while the boat is on a trailer. Remember to thoroughly rinse your trailer too. If you don't, much like Jrogers said about your clothes, you'll see the same on your trailer (speaking from personal experience).

Well,,,,, I tried the bleach, it didn't do a thing, maybe fresh water algae is tougher than salt water algae, plus It was on there when i bought the boat so no telling how long it's been stuck on.
    Think I will just launch and go find some shallow water and give it some brilo action and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Well,,,,, I tried the bleach, it didn't do a thing, maybe fresh water algae is tougher than salt water algae, plus It was on there when i bought the boat so no telling how long it's been stuck on.
    Think I will just launch and go find some shallow water and give it some brilo action and see how that works.
    If it's been on there that long it was probably already dead. I use a scotch bright pad on the spots I missed after it dries, rubs off pretty easy but I have never had to do the whole bottom. Once clean the bleach will work on the new growth.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    If it's been on there that long it was probably already dead. I use a scotch bright pad on the spots I missed after it dries, rubs off pretty easy but I have never had to do the whole bottom. Once clean the bleach will work on the new growth.
    Thanks for the info, think I'll just hook up and get to scrubin' on it there ain't to much on there just about a 2" ring but it still kinda bugs me.
    Supposed to get close to 90 degrees today, gonna be a good one for a little scrubin fishin and swimin, don't feel much like wor,wor,wor,,
    man I just can't say that word.