Thread: Fall black bear near Anchorage

Default Fall black bear near Anchorage

Hey guys,
    I am originally from MT and just gained residency in AK. I have hunted my whole life in MT and I am looking to get out and hunt black bear this fall and, to be honest, am a little intimidated. I did a little bit of hunting this spring with no luck, and wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. Techniques, tips, or (I know this may be a little touchy, but here goes...) locations! I am not afraid to do some walking and am looking for trail heads. I hear that there is some merit to getting above the tree-line and glassing up in the berries. Any ideas on spot-and-stalk, fall black bear within a couple hour drive of anchorage would be great, and I will take any pointers I can get. Thanks for you help, and PM me if you would prefer!

HOPE...... all you need to know. your already on the right track. get high and use the heck out of some quality glass. focus on areas where the berries are thick and you will find some bears. boats in PWS do pretty well also. spot them from the water and hike to them. crow creek pass had decent numbers of bears. its a pretty good hike but pretty well worth it. Try baiting next spring. TONS of fun and very productive.
    thats about all i'll give up. wont give away my pet spots but that will get you started.

Ryan - When fall rolls around, send me a note and we can sit down over a coffee or beer and talk ideas. I'm pretty busy from now through mid September, but late September through mid October is when you really want to be out there anyhow. As you already seem to know, high amid the berries is the trick. You can either hunt the road and spot from every pullout or pick a trail and start walking. Either will be productive if you're willing to climb. We're talking above the goats in many cases, so look very high.

Black bears are all over the place. When the berries get ripe, if you glass above timberline in berry country you should be able to connect in any reasonable area.

I would stake out some garages on the hillside. You have to kill them with spears though.

Saw what I would guess to be around a 5.5 footer cross the parks highway today near Trapper Creek
    Paul

So...lots of posts mention glassing from the turn-outs on roads and then moving on a bear that may be in a opportune location. Are we talking some back-road, the Seward highway, or what. I don't need specifics as I am sure you all don't want to give up your honey-holes (but if you're not afraid to give specifics I would take them!), but in general are we talking highways or back-roads?

Quote Originally Posted by MT2AK View Post
    So...lots of posts mention glassing from the turn-outs on roads and then moving on a bear that may be in a opportune location. Are we talking some back-road, the Seward highway, or what. I don't need specifics as I am sure you all don't want to give up your honey-holes (but if you're not afraid to give specifics I would take them!), but in general are we talking highways or back-roads?
    Whatever roads may be near moutains with berries, or with streams that have salmon runs. I'm headed out in the morning to a spot for a handgun hunt. You never know till you get out there and glass. Even hiking popular trails and glassing. Get out there and do work son!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Whatever roads may be near moutains with berries, or with streams that have salmon runs. I'm headed out in the morning to a spot for a handgun hunt. You never know till you get out there and glass. Even hiking popular trails and glassing. Get out there and do work son!
    this is the best advice your gonna get. get out there and look! your not gonna kill a bear on this forum. go explore. there are bears all over them there hills. Go get you one!!!

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I have a little bit better idea of how I am going to hunt such BIG country! I appreciate the tips and am looking forward to finally getting to hunt some Alaska big game!

I've seen bears from the Seward highway, Hope road, Palmer Creek road, and the Sterling Highway. You could see them anywhere, they are just easier to spot when they are on top.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!