Thread: Squishing JHP bullets???

Default Squishing JHP bullets???

Did some horse trading and ended up with a Ruger 6.5in 357. Dug around and finally came up with enough components to make up some 125 gr JHP shooters.
    Now, I don't reload a ton of pistola bullets, but feel like I know enough to make a decent load. However, I seem to struggle with getting the proper seating depth and crimp pressure set without some deformation of the lead tips. I have went to a 4th die at times by seating the bullet without the crimp set - then placing the round into another crimp die with no seater plug - however that adds one more step.
    Anybody else have this issue - or a easy fix?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The seater on your dies is configured wrong for your bullet. There are seater cups for keith style bullets, round nosed bullets, and pointed bullets. Use the right seater for the bullets ogive and the deformation will dissappear.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The seater on your dies is configured wrong for your bullet. There are seater cups for keith style bullets, round nosed bullets, and pointed bullets. Use the right seater for the bullets ogive and the deformation will dissappear.
    Though I will add that crimping in a separate step is not a bad policy. Redding and Lee make crimp dies and both work very well.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Smokey:
    Get the 4 die set from Lee.

They worketh mighty fine in my Lee Turret press, which (the press) ain't good for loading anything else ceptin 30-30.

I have that set for both 357 and 44 Mags.

Those JHP boolits have soft noses, and there ain't nuthin you can do about that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Ahhh, as usual it seems more moola will fix the crisis! Thx fella's...
    Next delima will be I bought some Hornady 140gn Levelotion bullets and I have to find what seats them properly AND I have to trim the cases down....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Do the extra step. Buy a Redding profile crimp die...it will do the job right.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Smokey:
    Get the 4 die set from Lee.

They worketh mighty fine in my Lee Turret press, which (the press) ain't good for loading anything else ceptin 30-30.

I have that set for both 357 and 44 Mags.

Those JHP boolits have soft noses, and there ain't nuthin you can do about that.

Smitty of the North
    What he said . . . ceptin I do like my cheap Lee Turret press for most handguns. Itís easiest to do the extra crimp pass because then you donít need to be very concerned about case length or the right plug for your bullet that way. All my handgun stuff gets a 4th pass in a Lee Factory crimp die, that one extra pull salves a multitude of issues.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

One can modify seating plugs with epoxy; just be sure to coat the bullet with PAM or paste wax prior to sticking it in the gob of epoxy you plopped on the end of the plug...

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    What he said . . . ceptin I do like my cheap Lee Turret press for most handguns. Itís easiest to do the extra crimp pass because then you donít need to be very concerned about case length or the right plug for your bullet that way. All my handgun stuff gets a 4th pass in a Lee Factory crimp die, that one extra pull salves a multitude of issues.
    I have 2 sets of RCBS x 3 die's, I think I can set up a good 4 die combo with that - got the grandsons this weekend so no time for reloading as they want to join in and that gets interesting FAST! They are like octopuses - 8 arms ea I think!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I like my cheap Lee Turret Press for hangun stuff, and 30-30. 38, 357, and 44 Mag. are the only handgun cartridges I load. I have a 4 hole turret for each of'em.

I don't think that press is suitable for loading most BN rifle cartridges. Due to the flex in the press and slop in the turret, I didn't have good luck loading some others.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    One can modify seating plugs with epoxy; just be sure to coat the bullet with PAM or paste wax prior to sticking it in the gob of epoxy you plopped on the end of the plug...
    Right on the money.

If it's a bullet I'm going to use lots, I buy a spare seating plug (they're cheap) for the mod. I've also had very good luck chucking the plugs in a drill and relieving them a bit to fit the bullet. Just reach inside the plug with a Dremel tip and go to work. The Sierra JHC is one of the worst bullets ever for deforming when seating. No prob whatsoever with a little Dremel work.

Just be sure to label the plug when you're finished loading and throw it back in the drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I have 2 sets of RCBS x 3 die's, I think I can set up a good 4 die combo with that - got the grandsons this weekend so no time for reloading as they want to join in and that gets interesting FAST! They are like octopuses - 8 arms ea I think!
    That will work, just seat and crimp in 2 passes like you are.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I like my cheap Lee Turret Press for hangun stuff, and 30-30. 38, 357, and 44 Mag. are the only handgun cartridges I load. I have a 4 hole turret for each of'em.

I don't think that press is suitable for loading most BN rifle cartridges. Due to the flex in the press and slop in the turret, I didn't have good luck loading some others.

Smitty of the North
    Yup, I do all my rifle ammo on my RCBS Rockcrushers for those reasons. I sure like the fast set-up of the little turret for handguns though, just swap in the head and go to work. I keep heads set up complete with powder measures for 38, 357, 10mm, and 460 then a bunch of others without the powder measure yet but I keep adding as I find them around . . . very handy setup.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona