Thread: Nosler Partition versus Swift A-Frame

Default Nosler Partition versus Swift A-Frame

Feel free to chime in with field and or accuracy reports.

I load 250gr Partitions for my brother to shoot from his 338WM. The bullets recovered have always shed their entire front lead portion ahead of the dam. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this with their Partitions.

Recovered A-Frames I've seen from other hunters hold up better with retention of frontal lead and more expansion. Either way the animal was dead so I suppose either does a fine job.

I'm thinking about switching to A-Frames for the fall season. I have not had a chance to test with A-Frames yet so forum chatter is welcomed...

Both are premium bullets and work well; NEVER had a failure yet. The Swifts tend to retain the frontal lead moreso than does NP. However Swifts tend to be a more spendy than the NP.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have shot both and recovered almost none. I try very hard to take broadside or qtr away shots which leaves little heavy bone or muscle mass contact - thus 99% exits. I would not be afraid to run either one thru the shoulders of a big critter though. I don't think a few specimens to examine says much as far as which one would take more punishment IMO.
    If your pushing the speed limit with the 338 then maybe backing off a bit would also help with retention?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks for the imput.

I don't push the speed, I tune for best group. His 250gr load is running 2660fps.

The recovered bullets have been moose kills. The goat, sheep and bou have been pass troughs.

His rifle shoots the 250gr Partition into a very nice group. We're considering working up a 225gr A-Frame. Just looking for input.

I'm also getting away from Bergers for my 300RUM. I'm getting ready to test a 180gr A-Frame for a November Elk hunt in AZ. Last year a 175gr Berger tore the hell out of a white tail shot from a .308Win so I'm scratching the 300Rum 175gr Berger VLD Load.

marshall - the performance you describe with the partitions is precisely how Nosler designed them to "act" and the A-Frame is meant to perform more along the lines of a bonded core, hang on to all the weight you can, high performance bullet hence they are totally different beasts - We have heard and read about "complaints" that partitions "blow up" for years and years yet few ever take the time to actually read (or ask) what the Nosler description succinctly says about their beloved partitions (and the Accubonds, which they designed to emulate the partition in terminal performance) "expected" performance - plan on roughly 60% weight retension

Back Country,

I think you're correct. A little cut and paste from Nosler:

The integral Partition supports the expanded mushroom and retains the rear lead-alloy core which retains more than two thirds of its original weight, ideal for deep penetration. Finally the special crimp locks Nosler puts into each Partition adds strength to resist deformation under the pressure of heavy magnums.

In any case the animals have all died so the bullet did it's job. I'm going to work up an A-frame load and compare groups and velocities of the finished loads. Both are excellent bullets.

I've never recovered either of these two bullets. I shoot them in smaller calibers but have found that the NP are more accurate than the A-Frames in all three cartridges(.270Win, 7mm-08 and 30-06)that I've loaded for. I shoot NP and AB in all my big game hunting loads now. Whichever shoots more accurate gets the nod between these two.

As stated the A-Frame will retain more weight over the NP.

I've good accuracies with both bullets and clean kills with both too. I started yrs. ago shooting Partitions and then switched to AFrames for some 10-15 yrs or more and now back to Partitions. Recovered quite a few of both and it always pleased me to see the "bonded" mushroom of the A Frames but it is as said many times...it is what you're rifle prefers. I was on the band wagon of "effective killing" bullets that are the hype of said days and now I know it is always gonna be shot placement that will generally get the job done.I've pretty much given up on the whzz bangers and high cost bullets....to me 26 or 2700 fps works rather well and so does the nominal 24 to 2500 fps calibers. Abit off the trail I know but to your curiosity...buy the Aframes afore the cost of metals rises higher and they get to the absorbently high price range as the North Fork of which I have great favor of.