Thread: Glasply boats

Default Glasply boats

Howdy,
    I'm considering (and trying to convince the wife) that a boat is a reasonable thing to have here in SouthCentral Alaska. That said, what would I need to know about a late 70s early 80s glasply? I've heard that the hulls are very strong due to the layered fiberglass construction. What would you look for specifically if considering one of those hulls?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Howdy,
    I'm considering (and trying to convince the wife) that a boat is a reasonable thing to have here in SouthCentral Alaska. That said, what would I need to know about a late 70s early 80s glasply? I've heard that the hulls are very strong due to the layered fiberglass construction. What would you look for specifically if considering one of those hulls?

Thanks
    In general, they are very good. Like any boat, look for any cracks, gelcoat blisters, loose hardware and the rot that corresponds, and have a survey done. I bet you hardly find any of that as they had good hulls. I personally like their no frills design and easy to care for lay out. Mechanical issues will depend upon wear, tear, and if things were repaired in a timely fashion.....if at all....Definately get a survey....I can't say it enough....

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Howdy,

Thanks
    I owned and fish an 85, 28ft Glasply for 10 yrs... I acquired it through salvage... it had been sunk once. We patched the hole, tossed the old Chevy 350's and installed diesel's... Rewired it, etc, etc, and it was a very good fishing vessel... I especially liked the way the heavy hull handled real nasty seas... and so did the passengers... Later on many Glasply owners were tossing the stock Chevy 350's gas and replacing them with yanmar diesels which not only added speed to the vessel but great economy - fuel wise - as well... There are several still operating as Charter boats out of Homer... go talk to some of those owners/operators...

I have owned 2 glasplys. One 21' that I sold to upgrade to a 28'. They are solid boats, very heavy and seaworthy. I have done a lot of reading on them, and I have heard that a lot of the pre 1978 models, espicially the boats smaller than 21' have wooden stringers that get rotted out, so if you are looking at one, check the stringers and transom for this problem. My '78 21 footer was solids, no problems.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

If you are looking for a Glassply I know where there is a really nice one that may be for sale -

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    If you are looking for a Glassply I know where there is a really nice one that may be for sale -
    @rambling raven. I'm looking, and looking at Glasply hulls. If there is information, I'm eager to hear. Thanks.

Boreal, You don't have enough posts for me to send you a PM - how can I contact you.