Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag

Default 7mm Rem Mag

How many of you men are using the 7mm Remington Magnum as your go to hunting rig?

What's your setup?

What are you feeding it?

Thought's on this calibre as a Moose/Elk calibre.

340 .

Wink

My dad has been using his Browning BAR 7mm up her for the last 25 years. To date, He has probably taken 12 moose, 4 sheep, 2 elk and who knows how many deer with it. Ive only seen 1 moose that needed (and I dont think that it did personally) more than one whack from it, it was probably 200 yards out.

We got that one on video, it was early morning and you could see steam coming out of both entry and exit holes in that moose. He just stood there wobbling for a few than tipped over.

I believe my dad uses factory remington core-lokts, or maybe remington factory nosler loads in the 160 range. I do know that he uses the ones in the green/yellow box now. But I seriously doubt he pays much attention, as long as it says 7mm He's good to go. Hes old school and doesnt disect and worry about all this hunting gear and such that we do.

I also saw a buddy take a fantastic 500 yard shot on a goat with his A-bolt in 7mm. I dont know what he was using for bullets. Probably a handload his dad made for him.

You would be hard pressed to find a better calibre (man that reads weird!) for Alaskan hoofed animals. My dad says he would have second thought about using it for brownie though, but doesnt matter he doesnt hunt bears.

Again back to the word calibre, do you say it cal-i-brae or cal-i-ber
    Last edited by rimfirematt; 03-14-2007 at 19:41. Reason: need to know some british words

I use a Remington Model 700 in 7mm Mag as my go-to gun for sheep, and sometimes for caribou as well. (I use 30-06 for moose and the other caribou.) I am becoming more convinced that I need to use quality bullets, but I'm never had a problem with 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt rounds.

-Brian

Default Tikka 7 MM

I bought a slightly used Tikka T3, Stainless Steal hunter, topped with a Nikon Monarch 4 X 12 scope, Shooting 150 grain Fusion shells and love it. Took it out moose hunting and my son shot his first moose. Beautiful fork at 100 yard and it only took 2 steps. Will be using it for black bear, bou and goat this year instead of my 338WM.

Terry

I've been using a Browning A-bolt 7mm mag for the past few years. I know some people have issues with Browning, but this gun punches holes inside of holes on paper. It loves 150 gr Federal Premiums...haven't gotten into handloading yet. It's a brute to lug around though, will hopefully upgrade to a Montana soon!

KAL - i - bur

I have been using my Savage 7mm mag for 19 years now and would not trade it for anything. I like Federal premium 180gr. I know this gun will hunt anything you hunt. The only possible exception might be Grizz.

Question Who makes it?

"I have been using my Savage 7mm mag for 19 years now and would not trade it for anything. I like Federal premium 180gr"

I am not familar with a 180 gr load for the 7 Mag - who manufactures this load or is it a handload?

A buddy of mine took a 60 inch moose a few years back at very close range (under 20 yards) with a 7mm shooting core lokts...not sure the grains. Anyhoo, the animal surely would have died, but got some help from the two guys he was standing with (ain't moose smart) , but both shots he took netted no exit wounds and little pieces of bullet here and there within the moose....best we can tell the bullets fragged shortly after impact so we now have him set up with some much nicer bullets in case he doesn't have a buddy with a 338 three feet away next time. But I know lots of folks out here that use that round successfully with good bullets for moose and heard of a few brownies as well. No room for cheap bullets on a pricy hunt....it's cheap insurance.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I consider a 7 Mag to be at least adequate for all North American Big Game, including the bears, with a good bullet. I've never kilt a bar with one, but I wouldn't hesitate to try, unless I was using a light for caliber bullet, which I don't do.

I've always used 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets. Maybe I don't need the Noslers and could get by with a regular, non-premium bullet, but when you hunt in the Greatland, there's the possibility of Bar trouble. I just reason that the Partition would penetrate better, and always expand some.

All my shots have gone all the way through Caribou, and I've no reason to think a 7 Mag. isn't plenty gun for bigger animals using the above criteria.
    Smitty of the North

Default No complaints

No complaints thus far with my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, topped with a Burris 3-9x40mm it has not disappointed. I have been toting the 175gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws of late. The 7mm family is traditionally very straight-shooting and I have no grounds to disagree. I like my setup, as it performs well, is pleasantly light to carry, but wasn't too $$ to make me feel bad carrying it through alders after furry white things.

Mtn Wx

Default Ruger77

I shoot the Ruger 7mm mag, topped with Leo 3-9. I have always used Rem 175 gr bullets, but would have them put large exit holes on some deer and winter caribou. The new Fed Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claws (175 gr) are what I feed it nowadays. I also found many bullets that did not shoot well out of this gun.

I too use my 7mm Rem Mag on everything but big bears. 154 grain Hornaday spire point in front of 67.5 gains of IMR 4831, Rem mag primer and remington cases. The load was given to me when I bought the rifle 30 years ago from a very knowledgeable shooter and reloader. Try as I might, I have not been able to improve on it for accuracy. The caribou and black bear have been one shot kills.

I shoot a T/C Encore in 7mm Mag. I've taken two sheep and one caribou with it. One of the sheep was close to 300 yards. I shoot handloads with 150 grain Barnes TSX and have been able to keep shots under MOA when shooting from a rest.

I currently run 139-grain Hornady Heavy Mags through mine. For bigger game, I'd run a heavier bullet, but deer/caribou/sheep... the 139 heavy mags are unbeatable. Amazing!

I was going to hand load the new Barnes MXR, but have been happy enough with the Hornady factory loads to not do so yet...

A Remington 7mm Mag topped with a Leupold 3x9 is the only rifle I own. I've taken moose, caribou, deer, goats, and black bear in Alaska with it, as well as elk and medium sized critters in "America" and other countries. I shoot 175 gr Speer Mag Tips exclusively, but they are getting harder to find. Shots have ranged from 10 to 400+ yards, most in the 75-150 yard range. This rifle is on it's 3rd stock and 2nd barrel with over 12,000 rounds thru it.

The only "drawback" I've found is that close shots (<50 yards) usually result in little to no bullet expansion. But dead is dead no matter the size of the hole....

Quote Originally Posted by 375JDJ View Post
    The only "drawback" I've found is that close shots (<50 yards) usually result in little to no bullet expansion. But dead is dead no matter the size of the hole....
    The 2nd sheep I killed surprised me at about 30 yards. I scoped him for a split second to make sure he was legal, and then fired my 7mm Mag. He didn't even flinch. I was terrified that my scope had been knocked out of whack by an earlier fall on the hike into the area, and was certain that I was about to watch this ram walk away unharmed. Frantically I chambered another round, said a 2-second prayer, and let loose another shot at this ram that was still standing still, staring me down. This time he crumpled on the spot, rolled a few times, and came to a rest against some rocks.

When skinning him I found two holes, both of them not large enough to fit my pinky through. At that close range the 7mm bullets didn't expand at all. I think he would have died eventually from the first shot, but it did so little damage that he didn't even notice it passing through his chest cavity. The 2nd shot took out his heart, so that was the end of the story...still, I now prefer shots that are just a touch longer with such a high speed caliber.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    .still, I now prefer shots that are just a touch longer with such a high speed caliber.
    ....or take a handgun or bow instead (meant as humor!).

Great story and example!

Thumbs up

I was gifted an old (64?) remington 700 bdl in this caliber with a 3x9 burris and although I haven't taken any game with it I like and all the research I've done agrees with the previous posts. Can't wait to get out moose hunting with it this year for the first time in way too long.

I had a couple boxes of 175gr remington for it, but I've heard core-lokt horror stories before, so I guess when it warms up I'll see what I can find in a box locally.

Good thread and nice to read about the other 7mm rem mag owners!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The 2nd sheep I killed surprised me at about 30 yards. I scoped him for a split second to make sure he was legal, and then fired my 7mm Mag. He didn't even flinch. I was terrified that my scope had been knocked out of whack by an earlier fall on the hike into the area, and was certain that I was about to watch this ram walk away unharmed. Frantically I chambered another round, said a 2-second prayer, and let loose another shot at this ram that was still standing still, staring me down. This time he crumpled on the spot, rolled a few times, and came to a rest against some rocks.

When skinning him I found two holes, both of them not large enough to fit my pinky through. At that close range the 7mm bullets didn't expand at all. I think he would have died eventually from the first shot, but it did so little damage that he didn't even notice it passing through his chest cavity. The 2nd shot took out his heart, so that was the end of the story...still, I now prefer shots that are just a touch longer with such a high speed caliber.

-Brian
    Or just shoot them in the heart the first time

( )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast