Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumping fish waste around town...

Default Dumping fish waste around town...

Hmmmm....I wonder who is doing this?

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...salmon-dumping

I heard this on the news radio this morning and just about rolled out laughing. We're down here in Kenai complaining about people cleaning fish on the beach and leaving carcasses everywhere. And now you have all these guys who were nice enough to take their fish home before cleaning, but then they go out and start dumping the waste on the ground around Anchorage. Can ya'll seriously be that dense? I mean how difficult is it to either use the waste properly (compost for the garden) or dispose of it properly? At least take it down to the Arm and dump it in the ocean instead of at the local city park. Does the landfill up there have a special intake for fish waste? Some people are just nuts.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I think the landfill charges like $2.00 to dump fish carcasses. C'mon people...if you can drag yourself to the river and catch a bunch of fish, you can afford that to dispose of them properly.

Not everyone has a garden or need for compost....we don't...but we use the majority of the fish. Spines and guts are about all we toss, and if we have time and room we cook up the spines and take the meat out for dog food.

The picture is from Sand Lake, dumba*ses. Multiple piles were also found on Chester and Campbell Creek. Like I said, this crap happens every year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I talked to one guy in Kenai whose solution to the whole cleaning/carcass disposal issue was to simply take his entire catch an hour down the road to Homer and use the dock's cleaning stations. I may follow that lead next year. It's free to use, keeps the dirt out, has hoses and tables, and the waste is taken care of properly.

I used the Kenai city docks. The $42 price tag is a kinda steep for the semi clean tables and broken spray nozzles but I was not taking all the remains back home! I even live near the landfill. Better planning needed for next year for sure. For tomorrow at Fish creek I'll have a big tarp and fold down table to do it on the river. While I'm there any one is welcome to use it! I'm Only 45 min away so odd deal with the little big of dirt at home.

Heck i asked a park ranger a few years back about dumping 90 or so carcasses in a local unnamed river and he said there aint no law against it, and thats its great for the ecosystem - "please toss them far enough out so that they dont end up on the shore". he said

so we did, based on his authority - end or story

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Heck i asked a park ranger a few years back about dumping 90 or so carcasses in a local unnamed river and he said there aint no law against it, and thats its great for the ecosystem - "please toss them far enough out so that they dont end up on the shore". he said so we did, based on his authority - end or story
    That would likely be fine so long as it was a creek that freely discharges to the ocean or a larger river. Both Campbell and Chester creeks go through a lake before hitting the ocean. I doubt the residents of Campbell Lake or the folks that hang out around Westchester Lagoon would appreciate the fish waste in the lake not to mention the bear/bird attraction. Ship Creek though would be a great choice below the dam.

Someone dumped a load in the Soldotna Safeway parking lot today.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

What most people don't realize is the high possability of transferring fish born pathogens such as; Henneguya, BKD, IHN, Ichthyobodiasis, Furunculosis etc. If the local Anchorage streams don't have these pathogens, there's a decent chance they do now.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Could anyone imagine if equal numbers of peninsula residents traveled to Anchorage and dumped the same amount of personal waste and fish carcasses, the ruckus raised could be heard back on the Kenai? The city of Kenai loves the revenue while the residents hate the influx. How about a seasonal toll booth$$$$$$$. That would slow down drivers almost as much as those committing suicide with poor driving habits. Locals are beginning to talk about limiting how many people are allowed on the beach. Perhaps a draw permit. Yah not everyone is a slob but for those of us who have to deal with the result of all the traffic, litter and rude visitors are growing weary.

Default constructive

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKAGUNHUNTER View Post
    Locals are beginning to talk about limiting how many people are allowed on the beach. Perhaps a draw permit. Yah not everyone is a slob but for those of us who have to deal with the result of all the traffic, litter and rude visitors are growing weary.
    The slobs you refer to don't read or learn from posts here. How about some suggestions about what non-slobs can do to help you guys out? There are a lot of us up here that also see and abhor the slobs you mention, and also want to do something about it. One difference (I believe) though is that we don't put limiting access towards the top of our lists.

I'm serious. Got a constructive suggestion that does not involve penalizing non-slobs for what the slobs do?

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKAGUNHUNTER View Post
    Could anyone imagine if equal numbers of peninsula residents traveled to Anchorage and dumped the same amount of personal waste and fish carcasses, the ruckus raised could be heard back on the Kenai? The city of Kenai loves the revenue while the residents hate the influx. How about a seasonal toll booth$$$$$$$. That would slow down drivers almost as much as those committing suicide with poor driving habits. Locals are beginning to talk about limiting how many people are allowed on the beach. Perhaps a draw permit. Yah not everyone is a slob but for those of us who have to deal with the result of all the traffic, litter and rude visitors are growing weary.
    Limiting beach access is the only recourse. The state is examining this possibility already. I believe it is in the best interest of the locals to establish rules or these slobs are gonna run roughshod over your community and ruin your beaches

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

In King Salmon there is a fish grinder at the port run by the borough for the residents to use so that carcasses are disposed of properly.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Heck i asked a park ranger a few years back about dumping 90 or so carcasses in a local unnamed river and he said there aint no law against it, and thats its great for the ecosystem - "please toss them far enough out so that they dont end up on the shore". he said

so we did, based on his authority - end or story
    ...but yet we won't be allowed to wear felt soled shoes in the river next year.

How would limiting access to the beach eliminate the dumping of fish back in Anchorage or elsewhere?

It wouldn't but it might just be an attention grabber. I'm just jumping in cause FB has. And we all know how much he dipnets!!!! LOL
    As a reminder, Homer has a fish waste dumpster at the dock, why can't Kenai do the same thing? Cause they don't want to pay for it? They forward fund everything else like 6 wheelers and emergency boats, so where is the dumpster waste container? It just does not exist yet but needs to be. IMO
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 08-10-2011 at 16:55. Reason: cause I can!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Dumped our fish guts at the Soldotna landfill this year. It was quick, easy and free.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    It wouldn't but it might just be an attention grabber. I'm just jumping in cause FB has. And we all know how much he dipnets!!!! LOL
    As a reminder, Homer has a fish waste dumpster at the dock, why can't Kenai do the same thing? Cause they don't want to pay for it? They forward fund everything else like 6 wheelers and emergency boats, so where is the dumpster waste container? It just does not exist yet but needs to be. IMO
    Like I posted on another thread they wanted to add a gut wagon in Kenai.
    They just couldn't find anybody who wanted to do the job for the money they wanted to pay them.
    This would have also raised the fees in Kenai from $15 to $20 to cover the cost.
    If you know of /find someone willing to haul off this waste and use/properly dispose of it let the city of Kenai know.
    Maybe I should bid the contract. I could just haul it to Anchorage and dump it in the first stream I find like so much of the dipnet fish waste this year.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Probably the same goobers who don't bury their poop....
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast