Thread: Saltwater silver flies

Default Saltwater silver flies

I been tying bunch's of clousers, bunny and bucktail candlefish patterns Anybody got some favorites they are willing to share that I have not thought of?..

Are you in a boat or on shore?

Offshore and around the kelp beds I'm high on Claussers with pretty heavy eyes if they aren't right in the kelp. You want the heavy eyes so they sink fast, and most of your strikes will come on the sink rather than the retrieve. If they're right in the kelp or darned close I switch to weedless Deceivers.

Wading tidewater and salt flats, I prefer light Claussers, but if they're ripping around on the surface in the river mouth I switch to heavily weighted Karluk Flask Flies. Surface and heavy weight? Yeah, because you have to strip them as fast as you do for barracuda in the tropics, yet keep them under the surface.

You might look into tying some Squid patterns. Squidros or hoochies or similar.

BrownBear,
    Mostly fishing from a skiff, around points. Those deceivers you mentioned; are you weighting them? I quess it depends on the line?