Thread: Trailer question

Default Trailer question

i've got a utility trailer that is 40 x 48 inches in width/length and about 100lbs in weight. would it be safe to tow this without a ball mount? total weight i plan to put on the trailer is about 200lbs max. when hooked up to my Honda CRV, the total length of the rig will be about the length of a full sized pick up truck.

What kind of hitch does it have? Both the trailer and Honda.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

i've got a curt class III hitch mounted on the honda with a 2 inch insert. the trailer has a ball coupler mounted on the tongue which i can unbolt and insert it to the hitch on the car. i believe the trailer tongue is 2 inches also. i just wanted to know if that was a safe idea to tow it without the ball method. that makes reversing a whole lot easier.

Are you saying that you want to insert the tounge of the trailer directly in to the reciever of the car and then pin it? No ball at all???

I think that is a bad idea. Trailers swivel on the ball for good reason. I think you are going to end up with a bent trailer if you go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Are you saying that you want to insert the tounge of the trailer directly in to the reciever of the car and then pin it? No ball at all???I think that is a bad idea. Trailers swivel on the ball for good reason. I think you are going to end up with a bent trailer if you go this route.
    I concur. Bent trailer would be the least concern...i would be more concerned about how it affects the Honda at highway speeds. It could get really interesting....especially over bumps/hills.

Quote Originally Posted by littleman81 View Post
    I concur. Bent trailer would be the least concern...i would be more concerned about how it affects the Honda at highway speeds. It could get really interesting....especially over bumps/hills.
    roger that. it was a crazy idea i had. i just wanted some input before i try it heheh.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    roger that. it was a crazy idea i had. i just wanted some input before i try it heheh.
    No worries. I hear you on backing a short trailer though...it can be a royal PITA!

No worries. I hear you on backing a short trailer though...it can be a royal PITA!
    LOL yes sir!

You wouldn't even make it to the highway. Coming out of your driveway you'd bend that tounge so bad you wouldn't get much further. Practice backing the trailer instead.