Thread: This weeks can of worms..... 3.5" 12 Guage Slugs and ......

Default This weeks can of worms..... 3.5" 12 Guage Slugs and ......

....... and big brown dangerous things that can kill you

So has anybody done in a large bear with the Lightfield 3.5" IDS slugs. They post some impressive numbers like 4800 ft/lbs of energy and 22" of penetration. Seems like enough for a carry, protection gun like a 870 super mag....... Your thoughts

Ron

Probably has a place in the world and more power than a handgun but big and bulky for just walking around.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I know I have watched several waterfowl hunters, ( including myself ), short shuck and jam up pump guns with 3.5in shells. Unless a person is VERY used to a shell that length I would guess it may be a one shot deal - especially under duress and trying to act fast..?
    It has to be a real thumper, but I can't even stand shooting 3in slugs, so with a 3.5 I think I would just as soon let Boo Boo eat me than pull the trigger on that monster...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've shot a fair bit of 3.5" slugs through a Mossberg Pump and Benelli SBE, though not the Lightfield slugs. Here's a test for you: Put a 5 gallon bucket 15 feet out and hit it 3 times as fast as you can cycle the action. Bet you can't hit within 5 feet of it on your 3rd shot if you're shooting anything but an SBE.

Aiming DOWN with heavy recoil is a religious experience like the second coming, and you won't want to be on hand for #3. The SBE sucks up recoil pretty well, but it's still not fun aiming down at something close. A pump? Not on my watch, nohow.

So maybe something like an 11-87? BTW: I shoot 3" Winchester partition golds (385 gr. at 2000 fps) out of my 5.25 lb NEF Tracker 2......... That makes it 54 lbs of recoil. Now those numbers in an Marlin 1895 GG are good, but you can get quick follow ups with the marlin. I was thinking for a good all around choice to carry. Shoot small game, moose at 100 yards or less and bears (in needed in EXTREME cases).......

Ron

You'll have to try it for yourself, for the real answer. Your body moves different when you're shooting below you, with less give and sway. I'm not especially recoil shy, less than lots of folks probably, but there's a lot more "perceived" recoil when shooting down rather than horizontal like 99.9% of range shooting.

Ron,
    Since we have slug hunted in IL since I was 14 yrs old I can say getting rid of my 870 and going to an 1100, and then several 1187's, was a blessing. Like BB says though,getting back on target quickly, and with accuracy, can be a real challenge. I commend you for being able to handle the 3in slugs - I shoot the win 2 3/4 in 385 grain out of a heavy wood stocked 1187 and it is still not fun for me. I can't tell you how many deer I have killed with that combo and I can say that I have tried to take a second or third shot on a running deer after the first hit and it is a waste of time for me as after the first I am so rocked off balance its almost impossible in any kind of cover to get in an accurate follow up shot.
    Now, when I have helped others trail wounded deer, or do a drive, I grab an open sighted 1187 and shoot 1400 FPS win 2 3/4in slugs and "can" put three into a running deer.
    So, my vote would be
    A. make sure its a gun you are very familiar with - preferably an auto for me at least.
    B. shoot whatever slug you can handle and put 3 in a moving target - do not sacrifice accuracy for more power.

One more consideration would be a very powerful slug - could be 3.5in or even a 3in - could cause a mechanical failure in an auto simply from the heavy recoil. In a bear attack scenario I want all the chips I can get in my basket. I would think the 385 grain slug would be a very potent deterrent in 3in or even 2 3/4, they sure do a number on deer....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Jimmy Durante laugh at my nose when I was thirteen so shooting down and recoil sure send me a message.hard to pick your nose with a thumb nuckel
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you