Thread: Prince William Sound Question

Default Prince William Sound Question

Just a quick question for those of you who know the sound real well. If someone had access to a landing craft is there any place that is "open" enough or big enough for four wheelers. Is it even legal?

Thanks
    Boatless

4-wheelers would have a hard time. best to check with the Forest Service.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Can't speak to the legality of it, since I've not looked into that. However, there are going to be few spots where it would be worth the effort (or even possible). It might be possible to ride some of the outside beaches (the south side of Montague, for example). However, most of the protected waters inside the sound are characterized by steep, rocky coastline. Unless your wheeler is amphibious, you'd find yourself riding circles on one small section of beach - and during low tide only at that.

As fun as it sounds, PWS is not the place for wheeler. Montague maybe, but Kodiak is much better for wheelers. Now sleds in the winter is a different story.

Prince William Sound is part of the Chugach National Forrest. I looked to see if there are any designated trail areas, and I did not see any, so I believe that it is closed to the use of recreational vehicles. I know this is the case in the Kenai National Wildlife preserve where the few trails that exist are blocked and marked as closed.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Prince William Sound is part of the Chugach National Forrest. I looked to see if there are any designated trail areas, and I did not see any, so I believe that it is closed to the use of recreational vehicles. I know this is the case in the Kenai National Wildlife preserve where the few trails that exist are blocked and marked as closed.
    Thanks Jim
    Boatless