Thread: Looking for unique door mechanism designs

Default Looking for unique door mechanism designs

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a way to make our cabin door (solid wood) difficult to open for the average person that doesn't know the proper trick. I'm not sure how else to explain it other than that. Do any of you have ideas or pictures of sophisticated entry mechanisms on cabin or house doors?
    I'm looking at having this be a pull out door rather than a push in type.

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

Why pull out? My ranch cabin pushes in for a reason, I put a large flat metal bar on the inside that raises with a cable inside a pvc pipe, that goes outside to a hidden spot. No need for a key, you would have to tear the door down to get in.

A door that pulls in is only supported by the bolt and hinges where as a door that opens out has the entire jamb perimeter to rest against. Your door would only have to have the mounting point of the metal bar to be defeated to allow entry. Without a very sizable bar mounted on the top and bottom of your door it would not be hard for a bear to get into you carbin with a door that swings inward.

Mountaintrekker a sliding bar on the door that enters a mortise on the jamb this bar would have a hole in it that has a verticle pin drop in to prevent the door bar from sliding untill the pin is raised. Make any sense? I am trying to explain it while sitting in Afghanistan and can't post a drawing.

I saw this one episode of Scooby-Doo where they pushed on the nose of a statue and the door slides open. That was pretty cool.

Something to remember when dealing with fancy locking mechanisms... when it breaks, are you going to be locked in/out of your cabin? So, regardless of what tricky mechanism you come up with, be sure it fails open. If it's gravity operated or spring loaded, the device that "releases" the door should actually be releasing the locking pin or bolt to allow a spring or gravity to open it, not close it.

One thing that I've seen used quite often is to have a sliding bolt in the center of the door opposite the hinges which slides in and out of a hole in the doorjamb when you twist this ball that sticks out on each side of the door. They are really pretty nifty devices and have a very high functionality rate.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Wao, Thats great!
    Hi JOAK...,
    The door automatically open and close with entrance of anyone in the room and also looking at having this be a pull out door rather than a push in type.
    Nice sharing....

The common solution? A dead bolt.

All my cabin and shed doors swing out. Most have paw prints were bears have stood up and tried to push them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew36 View Post
    Wao, Thats great!
    Hi JOAK...,
    The door automatically open and close with entrance of anyone in the room and also looking at having this be a pull out door rather than a push in type.
    Nice sharing....
    kitchen calgary