Thread: IMR 4007 SSC powder

Default IMR 4007 SSC powder

Anyone know much about this new powder? I am new to reloading and reading as much as I can and am learning about powder. The IMR load data looks pretty good for my 325 with 220's.

Default IMR 4007ssc..

Perry,

Super short cut, even. No I don't know anything about it except I also found it on the Hodgdon's site for the 325. I have a new Hornady #7 manual and I didn't find it in there either. It does seem to be a good propellant for the 325. I think it takes years for new powders to arrive in Alaska.

About the burn rate of 4350 I think from the way and in the quantity it was used. It looked good though. I used H4350 and RL-19 mostly for the kimbers I loaded for. I'm doing work up now for the 338 WSM and would like to try 4007 for it. Let us know if you find some.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

What brand and diameter is the 220gn? I can run the numbers in quickload. And

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post
    What brand and diameter is the 220gn? I can run the numbers in quickload. And
    I'm going to try some Sierra Gamekings. 220g, .323 (8mm). Sierra says they were designed for velocities of the 8mm mag so they have a thicker jacket than lighter Gamekings. If I can load them up to around 2700 fps mv with any kind of accuracy it seems like it would be a good round. The IMR load data says they got max 2778 with the 4007 powder and the pressure was around 54000 I think. Anyway, this will be my starting point and first rounds I load for the 325wsm. Might have to use different powder though like Murphy mentioned. Eventually I'll probably load some Swift A-Frames for my 220 loads. Seems like that would be the HD Moose and Bear round.

That might be a good powder for the 350 Rem Mag as well. (the case looks almost exactly the same as a 325WSM with a belt )
    But I have never seen it in a store yet...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/imr4007ssc.htm
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I haven't even looked around in Fairbanks yet. I doubt if anyone here has it. A couple online sellers show it out of stock or on order. Not that I could order it, but it seems like it hasn't really hit the retailers yet. I'll have my buddy in Anchorage check around and I'm sure Murphy will be the first to find it here in Fairbanks!

Default An update

Well today I went into SW here in Fairbanks and they finally got this new powder in. I picked up a pound and will work up some rounds for the 325.

You know it's not a bad idea to grab a few pounds of powder (if you can) when working up new loads (all the same lot #) sure helps and in the long run save a little time and headaches.

I know this may sound strange, but I really don't care about powder type or brand in a category as long as it is correct for the pressure limits and the bullet.

I can lay in a stock of it, for instance I like to get two cases of kegs (64 pounds) of the same lot. You might say it's like getting to know the powder.

If you are loading by velocity when working up loads this can really save the frustration factor between the hot and cold cans.

Some folks are lucky and never get in a hurry before a hunt and have to load for the hunt. It's nice to know when you tip the can your not throwing in a sight change or a sticky lift for the bolt handel.

Way back when we all were in love with Norma's MRP, it dried up. There was quit a search going on here with the boys looking and asking each other for it. Some guys were happy to get part cans, they needed it that bad. There was a little dissatisfaction with misses.

Thanks for the advice/info. This will be my first batch of handloads for my 325. I'm just getting into it. I'll use some factory loads I have for sheep hunting this year since I have them and my guns shoots them good. But, I need to get my feet wet and learn the proper steps of working up rounds. I've done one batch of plinker rounds for my 44mag but no hunting rounds for it yet.

I think over the years I've bought the same video tape some four or five times to lend out to new reloaders. Never have gotten any of them back.

The one put out by Dave Tubbs is a great one for a guy that wants a jump start in reloading. It would put anyone years ahead in the learning process.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Thanks for the advice/info. This will be my first batch of handloads for my 325. I'm just getting into it. I'll use some factory loads I have for sheep hunting this year since I have them and my guns shoots them good. But, I need to get my feet wet and learn the proper steps of working up rounds. I've done one batch of plinker rounds for my 44mag but no hunting rounds for it yet.
    Perry,

Feel free to contact me if you want to stop by. Bring that 325 and components and we'll have another lesson. Maybe even make our own video.
    I've got a lot of powders you can try out to see if you like them. I'd just hate to see you have to hunt with factory loads. We can probably wring out that 44 SBH also.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up 4007

Sportsman Warehouse has it in Fairbanks........suppose to the new powder for the Short mags from IMR.
    Alaska