Thread: Help with Model 70 300 WSM..

Default Help with Model 70 300 WSM..

I've got a Winchester model 70 Featherweight 300 WSM that I bought a cpl yrs ago from gun broker. I ended up getting just what I wanted, an early one from about 2001. I put a Burris Fulfield II on it and sighted it in about a yr ago, as I remembered it grouped well at 100 and 200 yds, about 1.5" at 100 and 3" at 200, I know this is not sniping, but acceptable groups for me. I took it out 2 days in a row this week and can't get it to group. I'm shooting 180 gr Winchester silver tips and power points and tried some handloads and 150 gr corelokts. I'm gettin groups at 100 with all loads of about 3" and at 200 about 7". I don't know what's wrong, I checked all the screws and they are tight. I do have a little contact with the stock and barrel if I wiggle it. Other than that I don't know. I'm starting to believe that I may have a defective scope. I had to send in my Burris Euro Diamond binos after I dropped them from 3' onto the carpet. I also had to send in my Burris spotting scope after I went to use it after the 3rd time and noticed that the lenses/prism was knocked loose. Maybe it's the scope. I'm thinking about taking it to a good gunsmith to have him check it out. Any advice and gunsmith recommendations would be appreciated. I've yet to kill anything with it and was planning on taking it Caribou hunting in Sept, but 7" groups at 200 is not acceptable. My friend was shooting next to me today, he has a new model 70 satinless 300 WSM and was grouping considerably better, good groups like I have shot in mine before. Both days and crap shooting. Shot my buddies Ruger Gunsite Scout carbine with open sights at 100 and grouped 1.5" at 100 yds w/ ghost rings, way better that with my scoped Winchester. I'm at my witts end.

Billy Jack

Thanks Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Can you please explain what you mean in that the barrel only touches when you "wiggle" it. There should be some flexibility in the stock if you put pressure on the barrel, but I wouldn't describe it as a wiggle.

If everything is tight as you stated and you are getting groups--not erratic patterns, then I'd check two other items before the scope. I'd pull the barreled action from the stock and check its bedding in the recoil lug area. Winchester bedded this lug with some type of thermal resin (hot glue) and it can and will crack causing inconsistent contact on the recoil lug. That would certainly open the groups and is an easy fix. A second factor could be barrel fouling. How many rounds have you fired your rifle since the bore was last cleaned? I'd guess that with more than 40 rounds you could expect accuracy to deteriorate. Wipe-Out (normally available @ WWG) is an easy, easy fix for that issue.

If the bedding is good,the bore is clean and all of your fasteners (scope rings, bases & action screws) are adequately tight then I'd check the scope. IME scope problems are more inclined to be a shifting zero, no response from turret adjustments or completely erratic grouping. They do not usually "fail" by producing a consistently larger group size, though it can happen.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I agree with 1 Cor. A dirty barrel will cause groups to open up significantly. Use a good copper cleaner and keep after it until there is no "blue" on the patches. If it still does not shoot, then consider your scope. Frankly, those new model 70s are amazingly accurate. I have shot a number of 1.5" groups at 300 with my 7 mag; it does have a 4-14 Leupold on it. Best wishes. J.

Shooting technique? I recently had an erratic group session with my Blaser LRS-2 that generally shoots 5 shots into one hole....I was getting 1.5" groups and discovered the cause was my forend stop TOUCHING the barrel.

Anyway, like the folks said, decopper first, put a new scope second, come to see us third.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Shooting technique? I recently had an erratic group session with my Blaser LRS-2 that generally shoots 5 shots into one hole....I was getting 1.5" groups and discovered the cause was my forend stop TOUCHING the barrel.

Anyway, like the folks said, decopper first, put a new scope second, come to see us third.

I attempted to remove the copper fouling with Hoppe's No 9 bench rest copper solvent with no luck. Huntin season is right around the corner and I don't have the time to do the work myself, so it's on it's way to your shop. Pretty sure it's not the scope now but a combination of the forend contacting the barrel and the copper fouling. Look forward to shooting her when I get it back from your shop.

Thanks Billy Jack
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

0.001" barrel deflection at the muzzle is 1 full inch at 100 yards. You can easily do as-much-as 0.005" just by pushing on a barrel with your thumb. The barrel cannot touch the stock. Don't settle for the dumb "dollar bill" slipping under it either. Make sure you cannot get the stock to touch using construction paper or an index card. Put three index cards together and keep removing stock until they slip through easily. Now use one card and make sure it can slip around the barrel when you squeeze the barrel and forend together with moderate pressure. This will ensure a free floated barrel.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Having played around a fair amount with my own Win 70 in 300 WSM I will second what Wild said about shooting technique. My rifle sits in a McMillan edge stock and it is light and recoil is harsh shooting full power 180 grain loads.
    Groups were all over the place until I took the advice of another shooter and placed my hand on top of the scope and used light downward pressure.
    Vary your shooting technique to see what works for you but remember to be consistent for each group you shoot.
    Tennessee

The recoil from the 300 WSM bothers me more than most calibers. The fast quick recoil is uncomfortable and quickly leads to flinching IMHO ! Using the opposite hand to hold down pressure on scope helps my groups, easier to handle a straight back recoil. I can shoot
    bigger cartridges for some reason the 300 mags always seem to kick hard and fast !