Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishapaloooza 2011

Good deal. Don't mind paying, just didn't know exactly what to expect since we had camped there the last two years for free.

Thanks to a generous Texan (anonymous unless he chimes in) we are in good shape for the shuttling.

Using his vehicle to carry the trailer and raft I rented from Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground. Was going to just rent his trailer, but at last minute decided to use his trailer and raft. Sure will make the flight up from North Carolina easier. It will be the first time I ever flew to Alaska with under 300 lbs of gear. ha ha...

Max is the man and will be joining us for dinner around the campfire one night, perhaps the 6th or 7th. Looking forward to making him something in the dutch oven. Least I can do for all he has done for me.

My buddy Joe, many of you met last year, will be there same dates as us with his wife. Doing the tourist thing for a few days, then fishing 3-4 days. His wife did a remote float on the Kugururok in arctic NW Alaska with us 5 years ago, but that is the only part of Alaska she has seen. It will be a treat for her to see Seward, Homer, Cooper Landing, etc.. He will use their rental car and along with the borrowed vehicle, our shuttles will be easy. Of course when you mix in Chuck, Dave, etc.. shuttles are always easy during Palooza. Carrie and I may be floating alone a few days till Chuck and Dave get into camp, in such case I may just stick my thumb out and see what happens. I am not worried about being abducted.

Just went upstairs and inventoried my bead selection.

I could sell bracelets at a girl scout Jamboree.

See you goobers soon.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

There is the tesoro station in sterling that has a few odds and ends for groceries, along with great burgers and ice cream. Not sure what you're looking to pick up.

Planning on being there quite a bit this year myself as my hunt trip fell through.

@dan, I have a 16' cataraft amd trailer that I'll probably leave down there while I work during the week.

'Palooza wear order is in!!!
    Now I just have to find room for it in my vehicle!!!!
    See y'all in September with the schwag.

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post

Planning on being there quite a bit this year myself as my hunt trip fell through.

Sorry your hunt went south, but will look forward to seeing you at Palooza. It is a great time man, wouldn't be taking my wife for the third year in a row otherwise. We are giving up a remote float trip (my passion) to do this trip, so it was not a decision reached lightly. There is a fantastic group of folks at Palooza. The fishing can be outstanding and the company is guaranteed to be. I sent you a PM on the other comment. Thank you.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    See y'all in September with the schwag.

Never heard that word before.

Sounds dirty.

What else should I expect from someone from the country that invented midget tossing.

Which makes me think of slippery midgets.

Now that sounds dirty too.

See what you did Dave??

Thanks....

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    What else should I expect from someone from the country that invented midget tossing.

-Dan
    Hey Goober it was the crazy Austrailians dat toss dem midgets!!!!
    Not de Canooks!!!!

Hey there Palooza Fans. Just finalized my dates as Dan has mentioned. Will be there Sept 5-12 with the wife in tow this time.

After hearing the stories from last year she wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I am sure the hospitality will be awesome. as it was last year.

We will do the mandatory tourist stuff on the way down, as the wife has only seen Kotzebue and points North. We will be fishing the 7th-11th.....maybe more. May be bringing the Ally Canoe as my 17ft travel cat is still without a frame. Was really lookin forward to havin some Palooza River Rats fish with me this year. Next year The Carolina Cat will have a Hospitality seat open for any Alaskan (or the occasional stray Canuck) willing to ride.

Anybody heard from Nick lately? Thought he may need a piggyback ride back to his camper. Quyen said he will try to get down and share some refreshments but he may not be able to fish much. What about Pete? I spoke to Jose and he will be there as well. Cant wait to hang out with the Palooza crowd again this year.

Dave, you up for bashing some chromers on the Middle again? I had a friggin' blast doing it last year. Nothin beats sight casting to stacked silvers with 5" Dolly Llama.

Drop by the campsite any time. We will have our tent pitched near Dan and Dave's campsite. Stop and share a beer and some good grub. Dan and I will put on some nice Dutch oven dinners and deserts, so stop by and grab a bite. All fisherman, hunters, and other liars welcome! Anyone found drinking Carolina Tea from a milk jug will be asked to leave

See you soon, -Joe

Quote Originally Posted by twoatlow8 View Post

Anyone found drinking Carolina Tea from a milk jug will be asked to leave

-Joe

Hope you basterds have fun without me

Dan

I'm up for some magnum chromer action Joe.
    Just 31 days 18 hours and 22 minutes until Sahtu and I hit the road to 'Palooza!!!
    Not that I'm keeping track or anything.

For anyone with a vehicle that can pull a trailer, there is a pretty good deal on a raft and trailer rental. If not having a raft is keeping you from coming down to Palooza, check out this thread on the rafting forum. There are a few viable options for raft and trailer rentals. We have lots of guys shuttling together so it is easy once you show up with a raft. Get a boat and come down and join in the fun.

Below is from recent thread on the rafting forum......

Thanks for the heads up Familyman

Never used Groupon, but my brother has and mentions some good deals.

Details below on the raft rental deal.

Before man conquered his fear of water, he amused himself with dust sports such as pushing boulders off cliffs, wrestling tumbleweeds, and falling in the dust. Enjoy an aquatic adventure with today’s Groupon to Alaska Raft Connection. Choose between the following options:

• For $100, you get a two-day do-it-yourself raft rental (a $200 value).
    • For $150, you get a two-day assembled raft and trailer rental (a $300 value).

Alaska Raft Connection outfits adventurous do-it-yourselfers for self-guided water voyages along Alaska’s pristine scenic waterways. Water wranglers can saddle up in one of the Alaska Raft Connection's many inflatable floatables before setting out on the river for a two-day fishing trip, or in the local pool for two days of getting yelled at by lifeguards. Equipped with leading brands such as AIRE, NRS, Sotar, and the shop's own brand of self-bailing inflatable rafts, the pontoon purveyors at Alaska Raft Connection can ensure patrons will leave with the right raft for any journey. With 13- to 18-foot self-bailing rafts, intrepid explorers can safely tax along on their aqueous adventures, and the 14- to 18-foot catamaran-raft hybrids bring a Polynesian flair to the experience. All rafts and catarafts include either a rowing or paddle-frame-mounting package and will be pre-assembled for those who choose the assembled raft and trailer package.

Alaska Raft Connection
    Old Seward / Oceanview
    1120 E Huffman Rd., Suite 537
    Anchorage, Alaska 99515
    (907) 250-2271

I am sure anyone interested could contact them directly and get the same deal. Perhaps work out a 3-4 day rental.

Some folks (like me) may not want to sign up and give email address to Groupon in fear of occasional junk mail or email offers. I got a secondary email address for this purpose and used it to access Groupon this morning.

Could be a good way for someone without a raft to visit Fishapalooza on the Upper Kenai in Sept

I will be there Sept 5-12 and many others from the forum will be there during most of mid Sept. Pick up the raft and come down for a few days. Many of us shuttle together and leap frog down river. A good time for sure. Camping at the rainbow lot at the Russian River Campground. Sticky (top of all threads) in the fly fishing forum gives more info on Palooza. Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground in Sterling rented me a raft and trailer for Palooza this year. Goo Vogt of Alaska Wildwater in Anchorage rents Sotar rafts. Many options for folks that may want to join the Palooza crowd but don't yet have a raft. Do drop in.

-Dan

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...697#post984697

Alright guys n girls, who is coming or as Chuck says, "who is brave enough" to come. ha ha...

Any folks not familiar with what Palooza is, ask here or shoot me a PM.

Anyone got a raft, but nobody to fish with? Not a problem as folks are often hoping someone like you will be there. Easy to find someone to fish with a day or two. My buddy and his wife are up for dibs Sept 7-11. Got a raft rented for my wife and I and will cram him and his wife in with us, but if someone wants a fishing partner, please take him. ha ha ...

Folks that have never been, but thought about it, now is the time. Great group of guys/gals down there. Sausage party mostly, but feel free to bring the wife or girlfriend. Civil crowd despite what you read here. I say this in good confidence as I am particular about where I take my wife.

There is not 40 drunk folks hanging around a campfire each night in case any of you goobers have some kind of social phobia

Think 5-10 or so, 4-5 over by that fire, maybe a few nights when everyone is thirsty there is 10-15 folks by a common fire. A place where you can be sociably selectable if you will. Some folks hang out in their RV or tent most the time. Some are more social and wander around from site to site chatting and such. Just do what you want, when you want. Everyone there is having fun in their own way. The long and short of it, a very informal get together of folks that enjoy camping, fly fishing, and a beer around a campfire. Squares allowed of course. We are not a bunch of drunks or anything. ha ha..

-Dan

Our dates are set and airline tickets are confirmed

Sept 5-12.

Will take the $5 bath at Wildman's

Do drop in

-Dan

They only charge you $5 for a shower. That's a lot of friggin skin you got their. You'd think they'd charge by the square inch. Probably about $200/shower for you.

And you would think they would sell half a corn dog to you

Alright guys n girls, who is coming or as Chuck says, "who is brave enough" to come. ha ha...

Anyone got a raft, but nobody to fish with? Not a problem as folks are often hoping someone like you will be there. Easy to find someone to fish with a day or two. My buddy and his wife are up for dibs Sept 7-11. Got a raft rented for my wife and I and will cram him and his wife in with us, but if someone wants a fishing partner, please take him. ha ha ...

-Dan
    I fished Joe last year for 2 or 3 days. My shoulder still hurts from rowing his around. He still owes me beers for guiding him.

And you would think they would sell half a corn dog to you

Holy Crap. Dan warn me about comments like that. Just blew taco all over the laptop. That is some funny **** there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

No shet man. True story. Qkayak emailed me a few hours ago. Sent a pic of a HAWG bow he caught recently. I had to email him back and ask if he got some measurements. The fish looked to be 30-32". Turns out, it was a 16" bow!!!!!!! That is little people for you, always trickery and other sideways business when they are around. I have the same problem though, I can hold a 30" fish and make it look like a 16" fish in the pictures. Just no justice in the world man. None at all.

-Dan

OK, I'll bite... with all the "activities" being tossed around, how about stating When and Where this "thing" is going to be?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    I thought something more strategically taken was in order.

I am all about some strategizing

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    OK, I'll bite... with all the "activities" being tossed around, how about stating When and Where this "thing" is going to be?

Sept 5-20 is when the main concentration of folks will be there. Some come in for a night or two, some for 3-5 days, some for a week or two, Drifter comes in for a month. That is partly why I am hoping folks will post up here and all. To help other guys/gals plan when they might join in. We will be there Sept 5-12. Going earlier than the last two years on purpose (fishing related).

-Dan

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast