Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut out of Anchorage?

Default Halibut out of Anchorage?

Just wondering if there were any halibut out on the inlet in anchorage or if its more down south. I dont expect there to be a lot or large ones but if there were any that would be good. If not are there any other ocean fish that hang out up around there?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Just wondering if there were any halibut out on the inlet in anchorage or if its more down south. I dont expect there to be a lot or large ones but if there were any that would be good. If not are there any other ocean fish that hang out up around there?
    10th and M seafoods and New Sagaya. Nobody fishes out there for a reason my friend, Plus some nasty water to mess around with.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    10th and M seafoods and New Sagaya. Nobody fishes out there for a reason my friend, Plus some nasty water to mess around with.
    Thats what I figured. I was just gonna chuck a piece of herring out there off the bank during high tide while I fished the mouth of another stream. Wanted to know if it was a waste of time or not.

My guess is yes it is. I have been here 30 years and there is a reason nobody does it. Not busting your balls on my first post or anything but hell. I wish there was a way to work the salt here close to home. It just does not work
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    My guess is yes it is. I have been here 30 years and there is a reason nobody does it. Not busting your balls on my first post or anything but hell. I wish there was a way to work the salt here close to home. It just does not work
    Oh I understand. Youre not telling me something I wasnt expecting to hear. I was just curious.

Hold on a minute, I'm not convinced. Certainly there are plenty of salmon around, any salmon returning to streams & rivers farther up the inlet run through, others headed for Matsu might circle around one or twice on their journey. The fry of the same must make their way out too, not to mention the hooligan runs. Don't forget there are set net sites out on Fire Island.

Why wouldn't there be halibut out there following them around? I would not deny that catching them would be a challenge. Just like very few folks try to catch halibut off the beaches of the Lower Inlet, the mudflats are near impossible to fish, and the glacial grey water makes visibility pretty poor, not to mention the super swift currents.

So, my vote is cast for there being some butts around but very hard to find & catch.

There any fisheries biologist types out there that know for sure?

Handmade

I have to agree with Handmade here, any where in the ocean with a food source has some kind of fish. I bet there's halibut and tons of cod in that water.

Getting them I agree is probably not too feasible, particularly from shore.

I don't think halibut magically stop swimming north when they see Kenai and Soldotna on their right when swimming up the inlet.....I bet there are catchable numbers, and just like anywhere else you'd have to take a close look at the charts to find any potential areas. I don't know if I would call it a good or a bad idea or not, the upper inlet can be dangerous just like anywhere. I have boated the Knik Arm by the bridge many times and it is a very nice area for a skiff. I have also launched my old 23 foot boat in Anchorage and it was fine launch. It is a great place for a test run on the boat. I have never fished it.

Oh great! The last super secret halibut fishery is now going to be compromised.

It's funny, but some 40 or more years ago they used to say that there was no way to catch fish in the Kenai River because the water was too murky. So nobody fished it. Go figure.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Oddly enough, I remember reading a fishing report just this spring/summer about someone fishing for kings at ship creek and pulling up a halibut. Hearsay? Maybe. But I too believe they are out there, maybe just not in enough numbers to make catching them very feasible.

I have a good friend that comes up here every now and then to suck mud/muck/sand with the dredge right near the port. He says halibut are there. Are the numbers good enough to fish? Beats me, and there is only one way to find out......

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Oddly enough, I remember reading a fishing report just this spring/summer about someone fishing for kings at ship creek and pulling up a halibut. Hearsay? Maybe. But I too believe they are out there, maybe just not in enough numbers to make catching them very feasible.
    It was a halibut carcass. Someone filleted it and disposed of it in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I have a good friend that comes up here every now and then to suck mud/muck/sand with the dredge right near the port. He says halibut are there. Are the numbers good enough to fish? Beats me, and there is only one way to find out......
    LOL i may just toss a line out on the incoming tide and see.. who knows what could be swimming out there. maybe thats where Nessy has been hiding all these years LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    LOL i may just toss a line out on the incoming tide and see.. who knows what could be swimming out there. maybe thats where Nessy has been hiding all these years LMAO
    You can laugh all you want as I could care less. To him they are not funny, but a complete pain in the rear. And a very real one.....The belugas are far worse though as they shut everything down...The halibut don't. Anyway, he comes up every couple of years to dredge out the shipping lanes as they quickly fill with silt. BTW the money he makes while doing it is no laughing matter either.....I tend to listen to him as he has many hours out on the inlet and knows the upper parts like the back of his hand. They are there for sure. The real question is can you catch them?

Quote Originally Posted by Handmade View Post
    There any fisheries biologist types out there that know for sure?

Handmade
    I am not. My dad is, and has actually done some studies right out of the port and in the farthest north portions of Cook Inlet and Knik Arm (for the crossing). He found very little life on the bottom, and certainly not any halibut. A few small flounder was about it. I don't know if it's too silty for them or what, but most fish don't come this far up. Salmon and hooligan to spawn, but not much seems to follow other than the Belugas.

I'd try out off the mouth of campbell creek. I'm sure theres butt there w/ all the dipper carcasses washing down stream

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'd try out off the mouth of campbell creek. I'm sure theres butt there w/ all the dipper carcasses washing down stream
    You just can't help yourself....lol.

I'm repping you for the little innocent whistle there at the end....I love good sarcasm, whether I agree or not.

Ok, rain-check on the rep. Gotta spread the love.....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I am not. My dad is, and has actually done some studies right out of the port and in the farthest north portions of Cook Inlet and Knik Arm (for the crossing). He found very little life on the bottom, and certainly not any halibut. A few small flounder was about it. I don't know if it's too silty for them or what, but most fish don't come this far up. Salmon and hooligan to spawn, but not much seems to follow other than the Belugas.
    Good point, perhaps the amount of silt in the water is just too much for them to spend an extended amount of time in, unlike the spawners who just pass through?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    OMG.....sounds like a great place to try!!!! And you don't even need a license as what idiot would fish for halbut there?????

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Good point, perhaps the amount of silt in the water is just too much for them to spend an extended amount of time in, unlike the spawners who just pass through?
    Or, it could be the 30 foot tide changes. They would expend a lot of calories just dealing with the tides.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast