Thread: Caribou from Coldfoot

Default Caribou from Coldfoot

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for quite awhile and have greatly appreciated the wealth of information this site offers. With that in mind, I'm hoping to get some advice on a caribou hunt out of Coldfoot in fall 2008. Right now I'm thinking of using Coyote Air for an unguided drop-off hunt; it will be my 2 brothers and cousin in addition to myself. We are all from Maine, young and healthy (mid to late 20s) and have hunted whitetails, moose, and black bears extensively, plus I have spent the past several years in Alberta and have really gotten into backpack hunting bighorn sheep, elk and mule deer in the mountains. This would be our first hunt in Alaska although my cousin grew up on Kodiak. We have all our own gear; I will probably be driving up from Alberta and pick the boys up from the airport in Fairbanks. Which herds would typically be accessed out of Coldfoot? Would we be better off going out of Kotzebue? Also, are there any opinions on the best timeframe to do a hunt like this? I was thinking late August to avoid the rut.

Thanks for the help,
    Nate

Hey I was in your boat last year, trying to decide what way to go. I'am planning a trip to Maine in sept. 07, want to do some info exchange!

Default Kotz

Just a word up, if alaska fish and game prop 85 dont pass, Kotz will be one caribou for non residents. PM me if you want info on Coyote Air.

Terry

Default caribou hunt

nwebb,

PM me for the skinny on Coyote Air.

Default Bou

Hunting bou from Coldfoot will be a costly endevour. Dirk of Coyote air is great, thats if you can get on with him, which is almost impossible to do. Id recommend flying into the 40 Mile area with 40 Mile Air out of Tok.

Quote Originally Posted by joescat View Post
    Hey I was in your boat last year, trying to decide what way to go. I'am planning a trip to Maine in sept. 07, want to do some info exchange!
    I'd be happy to help with your planning in any way I can. PM me for more info.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    Hunting bou from Coldfoot will be a costly endevour. Dirk of Coyote air is great, thats if you can get on with him, which is almost impossible to do. Id recommend flying into the 40 Mile area with 40 Mile Air out of Tok.
    I second that advice....nicer country too, imho.

Default our Alaska hunt

My wife and I did the alaska hunt in sept. of 06, we had a blast and are planning the next for 08. E-mail us at ajcarrickmi@yahoo.com

Default 40 mile

First class operation all the way.

Steve

Default same hunt

I am planning the same hunt you are talking about for this fall. My father and wife will be along for the ride. I will send you any info you desire after my caribou trip return, after moose season float hunt, and after my fall brown bear hunt. These dates all run together (20 Aug-15 Oct.) Fell free to ask me any guestions about my planning. Once you price out a bou hunt from Kotz, Coldfoot will seem cheap. Rod
    Last edited by AFHunter; 03-26-2007 at 11:45. Reason: Added info