Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 Crickett!

Default .22 Crickett!

The 2 grandsons are coming Friday eve for a weekend with Me and Granny and I thought it was time the 5 yr old had a smokepole that fit him! Ordered this sweet little "bunny knocker" last week and was very happy to see the UPS guy today! Couldn't wait to get home and mount the scope - overall a decent little rig....
    Only negative I could dredge up is it lacks an actual safety - once the bolt is drawn back and cocked its ready to go. Should not be an issue as it will only be fired under very direct supervision - but I guess I would still be more comfortable with some type of button or slide safety...
    Gonna blow up some balloons and hang them and let the grandsons shoot some #12 shotshells to start out - maybe work in some 22 shorts if I feel he can handle it well enough. Hard part is going to be keeping the 2 1/2 yr old brother at bay! He may actually be the shooter before we are done as he is ALL boy for sure.... 100_2922.jpg100_2924.jpg
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I'd say that should be a hit with the grandkids!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

OK, couldn't wait to get home and grab the Crickett and run a few rounds thru it to site it in!
    Got to the farm at 7:30PM, had the gun on the bench in 15 min - it was still a crispy 89 degrees out with absolutely NASTY humidity! Sweat poured off me, a wasp flew out from under my bench as he had "claimed it" as home I guess and kept pestering me and the sun had set and light was fading! So, it was just an ideal setting!!!
    Took me about 7 or 8 rounds to get on the bullseye ( 25 yards ) and then plunk, plunk, plunk right it there! HMMM I like!
    Put 5 in at almost a 1/2 in group - then put 5 more in the upper right black "cover up dot" at 5/8inch. I was impressed considering the situation for sure...
    Trigger felt a bit stiff - scaled it at 4.25lbs later - may be a little tough on very small fingers but OK. Scope is very nice for a $40.00 scope made in China under the Crickett name.
    I was shooting Remington 22 shorts - hollow points. Had some Eley shorts but heat was too much and had to stop.
    Anyway, gun is a shooter and other than it being a bit challenging to load one shell at a time with big fingers it should work great to train youngsters with!
    100_2927.jpg
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

tha'd be a sweet little survival gun
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

They AIN'T just for children. A lot of respected wilderness survivalist consider that a perfect meat procurement tool. And they get no argument from me. They once offered that in .22 magnum, do you know if it available in that cartridge currently.....???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    They AIN'T just for children. A lot of respected wilderness survivalist consider that a perfect meat procurement tool. And they get no argument from me. They once offered that in .22 magnum, do you know if it available in that cartridge currently.....???
    AGL, I could see it being a survival gun, I might opt for the Thompson if it were for me as the break open action would be much easier for me to load - especially if it were very cold or perhaps I had been hurt etc... It is very accurate for such a little thing...
    There are no 22 mag models in either the Crickett or Thompson I could find....

I have purchased 3 of the Thompson's for my kids. I like the peep site along with the 1 inch stock extension. I got my girl hers the pink camo model the weekend after she was born. Have fun teaching the grand kids to shoot.

I bought my daughter one. I was amazed at just how small they are. Still, the quality is very good, IMO. My daughter's has the pink laminated wood stock. I put a small NC Star scope on it, but it was shooting fine without it. We were shooting at pop cans and once the sight was set, the can was jumping every single time at 30 to 40 feet. We'll see how it does on spruce grouse this fall. Have patience when shopping, if you have the time to do so. I was in no rush and got hers for 75$ on GunBroker.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Taxidermist View Post
    I bought my daughter one. I was amazed at just how small they are. Still, the quality is very good, IMO. My daughter's has the pink laminated wood stock. I put a small NC Star scope on it, but it was shooting fine without it. We were shooting at pop cans and once the sight was set, the can was jumping every single time at 30 to 40 feet. We'll see how it does on spruce grouse this fall. Have patience when shopping, if you have the time to do so. I was in no rush and got hers for 75$ on GunBroker.
    I thought I'd add that it "fits her to a T" and looks stunning to boot...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Pink is my oldest grandsons favorite color too - not to sure about that boy just yet???

A little talcum powder or flour in the balloons is fun.

I picked up a Crickett in 22 Mag to take on my Kodiak trip next year. Five years ago we seen a lot of fox. Since the Crickett weighs almost nothing, easy to pack and will not tear up hides.
    When I was setting it up in shop, had several customers say, "that's a kid's gun." And I'd tell them that I was taking it to Kodiak in 2012 for a hunt!!! Sorta caught them by surprise, and had then to explain what the Crickett would be used for.
    If your looking for a 22 mag in the Crickett, looks like they only have black stock available right now.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I picked up a Crickett in 22 Mag to take on my Kodiak trip next year. Five years ago we seen a lot of fox. Since the Crickett weighs almost nothing, easy to pack and will not tear up hides.
    When I was setting it up in shop, had several customers say, "that's a kid's gun." And I'd tell them that I was taking it to Kodiak in 2012 for a hunt!!! Sorta caught them by surprise, and had then to explain what the Crickett would be used for.If your looking for a 22 mag in the Crickett, looks like they only have black stock available right now.

Chris
    Thx, I could not find a mag listed by them - AGL4Now was interested....

I will try to attach from distributer:

Name: KSA 22WMR BLACK SYN 22MAG BLU
    Manufacturer: KEYSTONE SPORTING ARMS
    http://www.crickett.com
    MSRP: $139.99 EA Model Number: KSA280
    UPC:
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/CHRIS~1.YEA/AppData/Local/Temp/4/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]CRICKETT ® YOUTH RIFLE
    • .22 WMR• Blue barrel• Black synthetic stock• Bolt-action, manually cocking single-shot • Forged steel & machined low scope bolt handle• Rebounding firing pin• Williams ® Fire Sights• Drilled & tapped• Brl.: 16-1/8''• Made in USA
    Chris

It didn't come out pretty, but that should give the info to find the rifle. Once again, since I'm not a paying member and in the business... I will try not to promote my shop.

Any questions, I got a 22 Mag Crickett- and I'm just over 6' tall. Yes, it is a small rifle but for what I want it for (light weight, little space for fly-in hunt) it is perfect.

Chris

Just got email that Mossy Oak stock is also available.

Name: KSA 22WMR MOBU 22MAG BLUED
    Manufacturer: KEYSTONE SPORTING ARMS
    http://www.crickett.com
    MSRP: $159.99 EA Model Number: KSA284
    UPC:
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/CHRIS~1.YEA/AppData/Local/Temp/4/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]CRICKETT ® YOUTH RIFLE
    • .22 WMR• Blue barrel• Mossy Oak ® Break-Up ® synthetic stock• Bolt-action, manually cocking single-shot • Forged steel & machined low scope bolt handle• Rebounding firing pin• Williams ® Fire Sights• Drilled & tapped• Brl.: 16-1/8''• Made in USA
    Chris

Just a thought...Midway had .22 Mag reamers for around $30 and you can turn most guns in to a .22 Mag with some cutting oil, a T handle and a 3/8" socket in about 10 minutes. Just make sure the bolt face will handle the .22 mag round before you cut the chamber.

TI Goat has a cool conversion for these rifles, bring sthe weight way down.
    http://www.titaniumgoat.com/index.html

Why cut the chamber on a crickett? The new firearm is about the same cost as a reamer!
    I missed something on the lightweight stuff, a Crickett don't weigh hardly anything as it is, that is the main reason I am taking one in 22 Mag to Kodiak next year on my deer hunt. (Fox, ect-- maybe even plinking in camp???)

Chris

TI kit knocks down to a small kit and brings the weight way down to <2lbs.
    Think backpacking. Think 50lbs of gear and food in a Supercub for a ten day hunt, like cuting the handle off of your toothbrush and titanium underwear.

22 mag and 22 LR bolt faces differ on the crickett, so recahmber tends to be out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast