Thread: Lightweight Tripods

Default Lightweight Tripods

I am looking for advice on Lightweight tripods that are capable of holding around 4lbs. I saw a post in a thread about the vortex tripod that weighs 33 oz. Any others that I should be looking at. I am trying to stay under $150. I have looked at some of the carbon ones, they're definitely light, but would definitely lighten the bank account also. Thanks in advance for advice/recommendations.

I picked up the vortex highcountry. About $85 at sportsmans with the ball head.

I checked out the Vortex Highcountry and thought it had WAY to much flex in the legs when fully extended. I didn't like that about my last Nikon tripod so passed on it.

I just bought a Slik Mini II instead. It doesn't go up much past 40 in (which some people aren't going to care for), but is very stiff and the stock ball head holds up my 48 oz spotter quite well. That's what I was looking for. True heavy duty field testing to follow in about 2 weeks....

Cost was $80 with free shipping from Amazon. Construction appears very solid. Total weight is 27 oz. Maybe someone will chip in who has actually used/abused one and can give you a better data point.

Yk

I have used and abused a Slik Mini for several years and it is still going strong.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Cullman nanomax 200T (w/ball head)....... comes in at 23oz., holds 4.5 lbs, and a max height of 30" around 60.00 from most companies online.

still waiting for mine to come in from B&H photo...

Every sheep hunter will want one !!!!

Barney's in Anch is carrying Cullman's now. I like Stewart's too if youre looking at Gitzo/Manfrotto price range.
    The Velbon Ultra Maxi has disappeared around town - maybe no longer made - was great. Compact. Metal head.
    Good luck.

Cullman Nanomax 200T

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I checked out the Vortex Highcountry and thought it had WAY to much flex in the legs when fully extended. I didn't like that about my last Nikon tripod so passed on it.

I just bought a Slik Mini II instead. It doesn't go up much past 40 in (which some people aren't going to care for), but is very stiff and the stock ball head holds up my 48 oz spotter quite well. That's what I was looking for. True heavy duty field testing to follow in about 2 weeks....

Cost was $80 with free shipping from Amazon. Construction appears very solid. Total weight is 27 oz. Maybe someone will chip in who has actually used/abused one and can give you a better data point.

Yk
    I also picked up a Slik Mini II...Works perfectly when my 4 oz pedco isn't the right choice.
    New--$68 including shipping on ebay...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Cullman Nanomax 200T

Be careful Kaha or my wife is going to add your name to the list of "those I am not allowed to speak of"

You will be in good company though, Stid and Alaska_Lanche are both on it with Hunt_AK working to make the team in the near future!

Hope my nanomax makes it here in time to try out before I leave.. 8 more days!!

Wondering which you guys prefer, Ballhead or 3 way pan? I haven't used a ballhead before and wondering what I'm missing. I will be using a tripod for video and spotter.

Thanks!

RC

Ballhead..... hands down !!!!

Got the Nanomax 220t. 29oz and holds 5.5lbs. Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys use for video cameras (if you use them)

After playing with a ball head it is way better. I would like to try a pistol grip head though

Gitzo GT0531 and Outdoorsman's pan head. it's awesome for glassing and digi-scoping.

Thanks for the info guys. I will have to check out a ballhead but it seems for videoing a pan head might be better.

MT_SLDR.... I use a Canon Vixia hf400. I am no expert by any means but it does what I want it to.

RC

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would like to try a pistol grip head though

If you are talking about the Manfrotto 322, skip on it man. I had one and it slipped a lot and is bulky.

A good ball head is the answer to me and I have tried about every conventional option out there.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i agree with you ryan. a really good pan head will IMO out perform any ball head when it comes to video and even glassing.