Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting in 13

Default Moose Hunting in 13

Does anyone know any good areas in area 13?

Yes ........

Just drive up the Glenn or the Parks and sit on one of the pull outs. Wait there until you see a line of about three thousand trucks loaded with ATV's headed north then fall in with them. They are all headed to unit 13.

There are 44000 acres from MP 164-179 on the left side of the Glenn heading towards Glennallen.
    You might try there.....

Not a great 1st post. You expect someone to just give you their special spot online? you should offer to go with someone who knows the area and pack meat.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Yes ........
    Priceless LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    There are 44000 acres from MP 164-179 on the left side of the Glenn heading towards Glennallen.
    You might try there.....
    Better be quick about it though.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Yes ........
    Someone rep this guy........I can't and he deserves it. Thanks in advance!

Mike
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Just a thought.........as a new member you might want to do some research on your own before asking a question the way you did. Your first post on the forum and you ask a very touchy question right off the bat. You'd done better to ask to borrow someone wife, truck, atc, plane maybe even their dog. Seriouly, there is plenty of info on this forum. Spend a few days reading the archives, talk to the brown shirts, look up harvest info, talk with the biologist for the area, do some scouting if you can. You might as well asked how long is a piece of string asking the question the way you did.

Wish you the best of luck.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Someone rep this guy........I can't and he deserves it. Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Did it...it is a great answer.

I'm always amazed when I see a question like this on an open internet forum, and even more amazed when someone actually openly posts specific areas to hunt. I've helped a handful of people in the past, but through PM's only. Many of the areas out there simply can't handle high volume use, and I know that I am not the only one around here who has seen it happen.

Doc I like your answer and what u said about high volume,it's so true!!! We usually get 5-10 years out of an area before people eventually find it and push us out to go find a new area! I will say this though there's alot more moose than there was 10 years ago! And alot more people too!!!!!!

Head to paxson lodge hang a left drive about 18 miles or so pull into swede lake trail head drop your wheeler and go. Unlike some guys who posted there are no honey holes or secret spots in unit 13... As someone said half the state is in unit 13 for moose season the other half is in unit 20

323 - Do you hear those Alaska Atlases opening and pages flipping?! LOL

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    .... You'd done better to ask to borrow someone wife, truck, atc, plane maybe even their dog.....

Wish you the best of luck.
    I've got an ex-wife I'd be happy to lend.

Well on second thought maybe not, I guess I'm just not that mean spirited.

Everyone seems to use a wheeler in that area, but I have watched them from the air as they go zipping down the ATV trail never knowing that they just passed by some moose a couple hundred yards to their left.

Same thing in most any other area for hunting. Wheelers have their place, but nothing beats using your feet. Seems many hunters never stray more than a few yards from their wheels and they miss quite a bit of game that way.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Everyone seems to use a wheeler in that area, but I have watched them from the air as they go zipping down the ATV trail never knowing that they just passed by some moose a couple hundred yards to their left.

Same thing in most any other area for hunting. Wheelers have their place, but nothing beats using your feet. Seems many hunters never stray more than a few yards from their wheels and they miss quite a bit of game that way.
    You mean hunters are actually passing by animals...... say it isn't so!
    Bill Hicks

The funny thing is since you mentioned that trail head above Paxton there will be another 100 guys this year on it

You should go try PWS for moose, there are some huge ones out there

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    You might try there.....

LOL, no moose here...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post

Bilder: you seem surprised! Didn't anyone ever tell you that all of the moose are at the end if the trail? Why do you think they would build the trail that far if it wasn't where the moose are? Hunting in Alaska is a simple thing, the animals are at the end of the trail and the first one there gets them. You should look at it as a race of sorts.

Yeah.. we could call it the Moose Nugget 500.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast