Thread: Having trouble

Default Having trouble

I have been flyfishing for cohos today with no luck. I have all the right flies but I think there is more of a technique that I need help with. I have been trying to catch them on Willow creek. Tips please??????
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Fish low light hours and see if it helps. Also, consider using smaller and darker flies than most would suggest for silvers. Fish deeper and slower perhaps.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thats a good idea. I had one hid at one of my flies real quick. I guess I should just keep stripping the line faster maybe. It's hard to tell. I would imagine that they would bite on the surface too. I dont want to much weight. I am casting downstream and slowly stripping upstream. I just need a way to get the fly close to the salmon. Work in progress.... I will let you know how it goes tonight.
    Fish on!
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Try casting quartering upstream and following the fly with the rod tip as it works it's way downstream. when the fly is downstream and has swung in below you start slowly stripping back to you.
    If you are fishing a slough (very slow water) fan cast the area, let the fly sink for 5 seconds or more and slowly strip back to you in a strip, strip, pause, strip, strip, pause cadence.

Make sure your fly is getting down deep enough and your drift is carrying said fly to the holding fish at their level. Vary your stripping speed and cadence and try different flies. If none of this works just sit it out for a while on the bank and just watch the fish, and think it all over. It is, afterall, fishing, and that means some days are diamonds, and some days are stones!

Good fishing!

Jim

I like to cast into faster moving water and let the current put a bend in my line. This sort of downstream mend helps to propel the fly through the water, once my line begins to straighten out I will do the strip, strip, pause cadence and try to keep the fly on the same level as the fish. I agree with Jim though...some days it just doesn't happen...frustrating, but the truth!

Funny thing hapopend on the way to the Forum. Ok that is movie title but hey. I will add a little somthing i.e. combo to both Dan, and Jim's post. Over the years and yes way to many of them :-( I actually fish Silver's on the Park's systems streams with Bead / Cone Head woolley buggers Olive, Brown and Black size 4-6 Most of the fishing is dead drifting just like fishing for trout with the exception of the confluences of the rivers with the Big Su then cast out and swing. As Jim points out deep enough i.e. the correct weight line / fly to get your bait at the proper level i.e. the target zone for the species of fish you are attempting to harvest. If and when you master that trick you will find the amount of takes should increase notice the word should. On a side note same business for Kings heavy weighted smaller darkish flies during low clear water works well. As my pappy use to say most flies are made for fisherman not fish. K.I.S.S.

Great information sharing fellow members!

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

I should be out fishing Moose-O

K.I.S.S. Haha ya that's what all my "old man" freinds tell me when I get excited. "Keep it simple stupid!" lol and it usually works. The simplest most plain non articulating fly will have the biggest impact on ur catching numbers! Good luck to all! And K.I.S.S.!

Thanks for all the info. I caught my first salmon last night on a fly and right when i brought it close to the bank it came off But I do know how to catch them now on flies. Fly fishing for Salmon is something new to me and I am starting to get the hang of it. I had a lot of bites but it is just setting the hook which is also important.
    -Zach
    -Henry David Thoreau

I caught more cohos when the only flies I knew how to tie were clouser minnows and egg-sucking leeches. The fancier I get the less fish I catch. I did really well last year and the only fly I used was a #2 chartruese clouser.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.