Thread: Kenai Coho get as much attention as the Kenai Reds?

Default Kenai Coho get as much attention as the Kenai Reds?

Hey guys,

I usually fish for reds in some crowded areas like the Russian or Centennial in Soldotna.
    There are always a lot of people at Centennial and I actually kind of prefer that since Im often there in the middle of the night.

I was just wondering if there are as many people there during the Kenai silver run? I probably wouldnt fish them at night but just wondering how busy the more known areas are.

Its also the first time I saw the numbers on the fish and game website for the Kenai sockeye but didnt see any for the cohos. ARe they listed there for previous years?

Basically trying to start a discussion about Kenai cohos...

thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

There are no silvers in the Kenai. The party is over come 31 July. The tourists go home, kids are back in school, guides put their boats away for the season. Nothing worth seeing...move along.Well, that's the rumor... hickster

Not nearly as many people. Bank fishing for silvers has a much lower success rate. You'll still see lots of boats. There are numbers out there somewhere. The sockeye run so far overshadows the silver numbers that you can't even compare them. Also, we'll have silvers trickling into the river all the way through winter freeze up.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by hickster View Post
    There are no silvers in the Kenai. The party is over come 31 July. The tourists go home, kids are back in school, guides put their boats away for the season. Nothing worth seeing...move along.Well, that's the rumor... hickster
    I was thinking the same thing...

In reality Silver fishing from the bank in the Kenai is pretty tough, too much water to cover and most of the holding water is only accessible by boat, just the reality of the particular system.

Thats too bad.
    I was really under the impression there was good silver fishing from shore.

There is. The area below Eagle Rock (pay site $10) is pretty good. Ditto below Bings Landing. There may be others.

Visitor center fish walk I'n soldotna, roe under a bobber, Early I'n morning, late I'n the evening, best times

When do they typically start rolling in?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Attention paid to silvers?

I'd much rather legitimately catch a pair of voracious biter Kenai silvers than floss up a half dozen non-biter reds.

From the bank.... Cunningham, Eagle Rock, Centennial, Moose River mouth, Bings, Morgans.

Don't forget Swanson Kasilof Ninlchik/Deep/Anchor/Stariski as other good bank options on the KP
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Attention paid to silvers?

I'd much rather legitimately catch a pair of voracious biter Kenai silvers than floss up a half dozen non-biter reds.

From the bank.... Cunningham, Eagle Rock, Centennial, Moose River mouth, Bings, Morgans.

Don't forget Swanson Kasilof Ninlchik/Deep/Anchor/Stariski as other good bank options on the KP
    I agree Doc. I actually started thinking about them while I was flossing for reds.

I saw all these jumpers and just imagined how fun it would be to let the blades from a vibrax spin in the current then that 'thump'...no more spin...heavy rod...FISH ON!

I think Im anxious to catch silvers.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll try roe this year. I usually prefer throwing hardware but maybe I can bring a couple of beers and sit with the woman while we wait for hungry fish.

I will be traveling to Soldotna for my first fishing trip from PA on Aug23-Sept 10. I have a 5 day trip planned ocean/freshwater and a 10 day stay. So, I want to go on my own and cut some brush. After reading this post, I am wondering where I can drive to so I can get a sore arm? Swanson shows a high catch rate in history per days fished - got to watch the sand--just some research.