Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Creek Opens to Dipnetting Friday at 6:00 AM

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Fish Creek Opens to Dipnetting Friday at 6:00 AM

The Fish Creek Personal Use Dip Net Fishery will open at 6:00 a.m., Friday, July 29, and close at 11:00 p.m., Sunday, July 31; dipnetting for salmon will be allowed only between 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. each day. Contact

Here's what all you valley folk have been waiting for.Have fun with it and save yourself the drive down to the Kenai.

You know those promises you make that you make 'cause you don't think you are actually going to have to follow through on them???

I find myself now in that situation.. I promised the two boys if they opened Fish Creek I'd take them dipnetting (I was at the Kenai last Sat and didn't take them because it was on a associates boat who was on a quick and fast meat run and didn't feel it was appropriate to encumber him with two more things to worry about)

Guess my canoe trip is getting canceled.... *sigh*

Crazy but I'll be there.

Default time to play the game of how many fishermen can you fit on one river...

I hope a good majority of people already have their limit from the Kenai.

Looks like I'll be there as well. I could use a few more for the freezer, but this one will really be about helping my sister put a few fish up. We'll see...

Let the games begin, maybe I'll even come down and play. After all it's only down the road a few miles.

What is the limit at Fish Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    What is the limit at Fish Creek?
    fish creek is part of the cook inlet permit. you have the regular household limits as you would for Kenai/Kasilof

between the 3 rivers you can get 25 for the head of household and 10 for each dependant.

SO just to be clear, if you limited out your permit on the Kenai you can't dipnet at Fish Creek!

(well you could but expect a nice be fine from the state troopers who WILL be out in force if the last two years are any indication)

Default boat access

I want to dipnet from a boat. Is there a launch close by? Do I need to launch on the little su and boat out to the inlet and then to the mouth? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!

Or depending on your boat situation you can launch from the Port of Anchorage and run over to Fish creek. There was a boat two years ago that came over to fish from the mouth.
    Good luck!

I'll be there... is Fish Creek so deep that i need chest waders? or will hip waders be enough? Thanks
    Johnny

I would wear chest waders. The mud is pretty sticky in that area.

How much later is high tide compared to Ship creek?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE everyone, pick up your garbage, stay off the private property, and don't trash the place! I took my kids there last year after the dipnetting had closed so we could see some fish and I could not believe how trashed the place was! Garbage and human waste everywhere and four wheeler ruts all over the place....

Yeah!!! I'm bringing 3,250 of my closest friends from the Kenai area up for the weekend! We sent a couple runners up late last night to reserve every camping spot within 20 miles of Fish Crick with empty tents and lawn chairs. Don't bother to try to drive on the highway tomorrow, we'll have that filled up.

J/K - It would be interesting to know if even a single person from Central or South Peninsula goes up to Fish Creek for this.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yeah!!! I'm bringing 3,250 of my closest friends from the Kenai area up for the weekend! We sent a couple runners up late last night to reserve every camping spot within 20 miles of Fish Crick with empty tents and lawn chairs. Don't bother to try to drive on the highway tomorrow, we'll have that filled up. J/K - It would be interesting to know if even a single person from Central or South Peninsula goes up to Fish Creek for this.
    LMAO! I doubt they will either, but you can bet everyone from Anchorage and Mat Valley will go....you know, great way for them to get a "second limit" or just get some if they haven't been south. Glad I dont plan to go that way this weekend...

Default Please, leave the 4 wheelers back on the hard ground on BOTH sides of Fish Creek !

Fish Creek is Posted yearly on BOTH SIDES, No Motorized Vehicles Beyond This Point, but usually by the time the second person with a 4 wheeler gets there the signs are torn down and in the bushes, or the creek. The Troopers can get you if you violate, and that could ruin your day as well as get property owners PO'd at all of us. I know I warned several people in a very nice and respectful way last year and got told off for the most part. One guy ****ed near wanted to clean my clock, and I was just letting him know as the signs were long gone by then. God knows Fish Creek is cruddy muddy, but those are the rules and if people keep breaking them, it will all come to an end. Some say this will be the last year at Fish Creek for other biological reasons alone, but why make it a sure thing.

I am not one of the property owners there, I just live in the area, but I am sure some of the owners will join in here and express their feelings and for good reason. Most of the owners I have had contact with are reasonable, but they sure have a right to be mad and they are normally pretty courteous about it. Please DONíT go on private property, and treat the area and others using it with the same respect you expect for yourself. There is public land on both sides, but make sure you look for signs and abide by them. This is one of the few areas in the state where it is private property clear down to the bottom of the creek bed. If you are floating the creek on the private property, it is OK, but technically, if you step out in the creek bed you are in violation. Check it out, I did and found it to be true.

I got a text last night that they were already lining up down there. So, since it is less than 8 miles from my house, I drove down to check it out on my way home. Sure enough, 20-25 campers, a six wheeler, a 4 wheeler, and other setups just waiting. One group had a campfire going in the parking area. Gotta love it!

AK Chappy

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

JOAT that was/is a great reply....
    I'd doubt any penisula folks are that stupid to go to the valley for fish.Can't say the reverse is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    JOAT that was/is a great reply....
    I'd doubt any penisula folks are that stupid to go to the valley for fish.Can't say the reverse is true.
    True, but you are talking about the difference between Boardwalk (Kenai) and Baltic (Fish Creek)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast