Thread: Salcha River Caribou

Default Salcha River Caribou

I am planning on going up the Salcha River after caribou in Zone 2 (RC860). Can anyone tell me how far up I can expect to have to go to get into caribou? Also, I will be in my Wooldridge with 2 boys, a buddy and gear. Do you think I will have any problems getting up the river in mid-August? Any help will be great.

Shawn

you will not make it up there. caribou hunting up there is with an airboat.

It is all water dependant! Many a caribou come out in jet boats. Sounds like you are going with a very heavy boat, it is a very shallow rocky river. The farther you go the worse it gets. Expect to bend the bottom a little!

I scouted up 57 miles a couple weeks ago and found a pretty good sand bar on the way back down. How much further up the river before you see caribou? Anyone know anything about the Goodpaster River?

Much further. Some, not many, come out in jet boats every now and then on high water years, or if the bou are moving more south of where they usually are. I know a guy that went up I think 113 miles (I don't remember the exact number). He is a very experienced boat navigator (been boating up here his entire life), and ended up with about 13k in hull damage to his inboard. Ran into an air boater up there that was simply perplexed on how that jet boat made it as far as it did. He was doing it for fun, and to see how far he could make it. Not saying you couldn’t run into a bou up there 70 miles or so, but if you really want to get a bou, there are better places. Hell of a beautiful river, and good fishing! I have spent a number of years running around on the Salcha, and just live down the road. Beautiful river for sure. I do not know a ton about the Goodpasture.

Quote Originally Posted by sbenjamin78 View Post
    I scouted up 57 miles a couple weeks ago and found a pretty good sand bar on the way back down. How much further up the river before you see caribou? Anyone know anything about the Goodpaster River?
    How much further? Probably about 3 miles, I hear that they are fenced in at 60 miles now so people know exactly where to go to find caribou. It saves on scouting and actual hunting time. No need to go up Goodpaster, they herded all of those ones up and fenced them in with the others.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

go buy a quad and head to 40mile - you will double or triple your chances of a least seeing a 'bou

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    How much further? Probably about 3 miles, I hear that they are fenced in at 60 miles now so people know exactly where to go to find caribou. It saves on scouting and actual hunting time. No need to go up Goodpaster, they herded all of those ones up and fenced them in with the others.
    Yep...never fails. Someone has to be a jack!@#!!! I'm not asking for coordinates, just how far up the river others have started see them. Sure I could burn a bunch of fuel and get myself into a situation where my boat gets sunk and noone else ventures that far up, but I would rather ask questions. Thank you for the folks that are being wothwhile members of society and giving valuable advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sbenjamin78 View Post
    Yep...never fails. Someone has to be a jack!@#!!! I'm not asking for coordinates, just how far up the river others have started see them. Sure I could burn a bunch of fuel and get myself into a situation where my boat gets sunk and noone else ventures that far up, but I would rather ask questions. Thank you for the folks that are being wothwhile members of society and giving valuable advice.
    You are the jackass. Do you understand that Caribou migrate and don't always use the same trail or migration routes change? If you are asking where not to go to get yourself into a situation where your boat gets stuck then you could have asked that but you asked where the caribou are, not what is the river like.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine