Thread: C-Dory Boat Question

Default C-Dory Boat Question

For years I've heard good things about the quality of this line of boat, however I've been told that they ride really rough in choppy water.

True or old wives tale? There is a 29 dory for sale that's got my interest.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

My understanding is the older hulls were a true flat bottom, but the newer models are not. I have owned a 1984 16- footer and I currently own a 1985 22- footer and they are both solid flat. Yes, they can be a little on the rough side in a wind chop, but to me, it is worth the trade off on how the boat performs, how efficient it is on fuel, overall comfort and quality of the boat, and how seaworthy it is in big swells if you were to ever get caught in the slop. The 29 I would bet has some V to it. Most C-Dory owners that I have encountered are C-Dory owners for many years.

Trim tabs help quite a bit.

Oh yeah, meant to mention that too. What skydiver said.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    For years I've heard good things about the quality of this line of boat, however I've been told that they ride really rough in choppy water.

True or old wives tale? There is a 29 dory for sale that's got my interest.
    I don't remember everything about the CD 29 Venture but it was discussed on the C-Brat site a lot when it came out. You should consider checking out the site as there is considerable dialog about it. From what I remember, the CD 29 had only about 10 degrees of rise, has a tunnel hull, and is heavy. I doubt you would have trouble with the quality of the build, but I would be seriously concerned about how it would handle with a relatively flat bottom, a tunnel hull, and little power. I think I would steer clear of it as there are better designs out there in this size range - such as the Sea Sport 27 Pilot and the Osprey. BTW, this is coming from a proud owner of a CD 22. Master Marine was basically giving one away about year ago. Is it still available????

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I don't remember everything about the CD 29 Venture but it was discussed on the C-Brat site a lot when it came out. You should consider checking out the site as there is considerable dialog about it. From what I remember, the CD 29 had only about 10 degrees of rise, has a tunnel hull, and is heavy. I doubt you would have trouble with the quality of the build, but I would be seriously concerned about how it would handle with a relatively flat bottom, a tunnel hull, and little power. I think I would steer clear of it as there are better designs out there in this size range - such as the Sea Sport 27 Pilot and the Osprey. BTW, this is coming from a proud owner of a CD 22. Master Marine was basically giving one away about year ago. Is it still available????
    27 Pilot is still my first choice. Not a lot of them to choose from out there. Heard a rumor that Seasport molds were being bought out and that they may be building boats soon. I hear lots of rumors tho.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Where the molds went is anyone's guess. According to those who think they know what's up, they are sitting around the C-Dory Warehouse near Bellingham and not being used since nobody bought them at the auction. They are not for sale any longer I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    27 Pilot is still my first choice. Not a lot of them to choose from out there. Heard a rumor that Seasport molds were being bought out and that they may be building boats soon. I hear lots of rumors tho.
    We had a Pilot in the family for years, and of all our boats I miss that one the most. It's relatively stable and I think they nailed the interior design with that boat. I still love the raised pilothouse style, but they are hard to find.

It's a shame Sea Sport is no longer around.