Thread: Prince of Wales fly fishing rookie

Default Prince of Wales fly fishing rookie

A few of us are heading up in late August for a little hunting but we are going to try our hand at some fly fishing. It's our first trip up there. What leader would you use for the salmon 1x? Also what size would you use for the smaller fish like trout, grayling,etc.? What are some basic standby flies for POW on Salmon and trout? Thanks!

It's been a long time since I fished steelhead on POW Island, but it's a fly fishers mecca! Short leaders and any sort of flashy coho fly will work fine. You can easily Google up photos of a plethora of such fly patterns. No grayling on POW that I'm aware of, but there are good opportunities for cutthroat trout. I used Elk Hair Caddis dries for them, and I'm sure any nymph or wooly worm or even a egg-suckin-leech will take those cutts.

You should see lots of black bears and some deer down low, but I suspect you'll be hunting up high for big blacktail bucks. You are going to have a blast! But be prepared for nasty weather -real nasty weather...or fantastic weather...or both on the same day!

Jim

Thanks for the help Jim! The more research we do the more it sounds like the fishing is going to be awesome! We're going to have to flip a coin each day to figure out if it is going to be fish or deer? Alaska is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by crankbait321 View Post
    A few of us are heading up in late August for a little hunting but we are going to try our hand at some fly fishing. It's our first trip up there. What leader would you use for the salmon 1x? Also what size would you use for the smaller fish like trout, grayling,etc.? What are some basic standby flies for POW on Salmon and trout? Thanks!
    10-15 lb at the tippet for salmon
    4-8 at the tippet for trout

ESLs, bunny leeches, hareballs, squid, clousers, wooly buggers, hares ear, pheasant tail, prince nymph, elk hair caddis, coachman (wet and dry), llamas, intruders, rodmans(garcias), wogs (techno wog), the list goes on.