Thread: Late Aug vs. late Sept for Haul Road Caribou?

Default Late Aug vs. late Sept for Haul Road Caribou?

I have been planning to head up the Haul Road in the last week of august and spend a week hunting caribou in the foothills on the north side of the Brooks Range. But now my companion says he can only go in late sept. Do you think there will be a big difference in the abundance of caribou there in that time span? I was assuming late august would be better hunting but does it make a big difference?

The caribou along the haul road are very variable and trying to figure out when they'll be in any one area is a guesstimate.
    Every. Year.
    These are not whitetails or elk. They cannot be patterned. They feed into the wind, bed in circles and avoid brushy areas. Having said that, there are caribou along the Dalton from Galbraith north nearly year round. Bring good glass, extra fuel and your walking shoes.

The rut is the one constant....first week of October, so late September bulls will be very gamey. A caribou bull in the rut is said to be so hormonal as to be inedible. Late August will yield good meat quality but the bulls won't be quite as pretty.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Although you did not mention flying, be aware that the transporters up in the Happy Vally area have all stopped flying by late September.
    Winter....snow.
    Personally, i prefer the last week of August and/or the first week of September.

Pilots won't fly in winter?

For me it's all about the meat... so if the bulls are too gamey in late sept., what about the cows? Hunt is open to both sexes, correct?

northernalberta,
    Itís not that pilots will not fly in winter. It is about (most) everybody up there flying is located there on a seasonal basis. As the North Slope freezes up and landing conditions become more hazardous and paying hunters become scarcer, they move to other hunting areas.
    But I can be wrong. So call everybody if you want a fly in drop-off. The forum archives are full of North Slope and haul road flying services.

I understand. We have one pilot in mind, my companion even paid a deposit. We had the impression he would still by flying in late september, but we're waiting to hear back from him now. But frankly I would strongly prefer to hunt the area in late august, I just don't have a companion available at that time. I would go alone but would hate to become a statistic, when I have a wife & baby at home.