Thread: North Gulf Coast [NGC] Shrimp

Default North Gulf Coast [NGC] Shrimp

We are going to fish for halibut 5/6 August in the NGC shrimp area. Has anyone shrimped the area near Aialik Bay and if so, could you tell me if it's worth hauling the pots along. Any issues with tides? They are 9-10 feet 5/6 August. Thx in advance.

I know people and have heard of people who have tried shrimping in areas out of Seward without much success. Not sure about the tides.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    We are going to fish for halibut 5/6 August in the NGC shrimp area. Has anyone shrimped the area near Aialik Bay and if so, could you tell me if it's worth hauling the pots along. Any issues with tides? They are 9-10 feet 5/6 August. Thx in advance.
    I have done ok over there, but only early in the year. And it was not as good as PWS. I have tried late in the year and come up empty handed. I have heard the numbers over there are good - I just haven't found the right spot I guess.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like it may be worth a try...Anyone have any more information regarding the good numbers?
    Respectfully,

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I have done ok over there, but only early in the year. And it was not as good as PWS. I have tried late in the year and come up empty handed. I have heard the numbers over there are good - I just haven't found the right spot I guess.

Tried way up Aialik over the 4th in the usual steep and deep locations. 2 day soak with heavy bait produced exactly 1 spot which was released to help propogate the species. Looking back it was most likely comitting suicide due to loneliness. (it took 2 more empty sets before I came to that conclusion)

Thanks for the very specific response, I will forego the shrimping next week and focus my efforts elsewhere. We are taking an Air Force member who's deploying and I don't want to waste their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKfishkiller View Post
    Tried way up Aialik over the 4th in the usual steep and deep locations. 2 day soak with heavy bait produced exactly 1 spot which was released to help propogate the species. Looking back it was most likely comitting suicide due to loneliness. (it took 2 more empty sets before I came to that conclusion)

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Thanks for the very specific response, I will forego the shrimping next week and focus my efforts elsewhere. We are taking an Air Force member who's deploying and I don't want to waste their time.
    I will be even more specific. I tried the mouth of Holgate Arm during Memorial Day Weekend and had enough for dinner. PWS is far better if you plan any significant numbers. As far as the numbers of shrimp, that is the reason why it is open again as the shrimp populations are mounting a recovery according to the biologist that study it.

Right on. I'm starting to figure out PWS shrimping some. Pulled a boat best 39 spot and 3 coons in one pot last week. Those bugs sure do taste good.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I will be even more specific. I tried the mouth of Holgate Arm during Memorial Day Weekend and had enough for dinner. PWS is far better if you plan any significant numbers. As far as the numbers of shrimp, that is the reason why it is open again as the shrimp populations are mounting a recovery according to the biologist that study it.

Saw your Youtube video pulling pots. Nice haul. And in sunshine, no wind, and flat water

Yeah, the hung pot couldn't have happened when it was nice out...funny how that works.