Thread: Kifaru vs goat?

Default Kifaru vs goat?

I know that there has been alot of dicussion about the tipis. But really couldn't find any discussion as to which was better. I know that the Goat is a little lighter and cost a less. Is there anyone that has done a comparison of the two and maybe more important actually had hands on evaluation.

Second, how about the stoves? Which is better?

After reading all of the reviews I'm almost under the impression that the Kifaru tipi is better and the Goat stove is better..........
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I researched this 3 years ago and ended up with Kifaru gear. The Kif tipi offered a liner, and Ti-Goat didn't then. I didn't think the Kif tipi was actually better built...just more options and such. Neither stove is impressive in terms of appearance, but both will keep you quite warm or even hot. They are not airtight stoves, and feel quite flimsy due to their lightweight materials. They work great, but require some basic care and protection during use. I have a friend who uses Four Doggs stove and he loves it. Somewhat heavier (several pounds) but a decent option for those who don't need a true ultralight stove.

Several years of Alaska interior hunting for moose, bou and bears have not dimmed my opinion of my tipi. I'd replace it instantly if lost, and with a Kifaru model again.

I saw that $2k tipi from Kifaru get ripped to shreds on a musk ox hunt last fall. I had an Arctic Oven, a friend had the tipi....after that night, he wanted to sleep in my vestibule. Never seen something like that happen before. The Kifaru needs more guyline tieouts! The wind was strong, but not "rip to shred" strong.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I love my Kifaru tipi's! I have a 4-man and a 12-man. I don't know much about Goat stuff, though I have the same impression that some people like Goat stoves more than Kifaru's, but it's close & in the land of tipi's Kifaru is king. And when it comes to camping in cold conditions, you can't beat a warm tipi. They truly do make the camping experience twice as nice!

TiGoat, hands-down. Now offers liner as well.

Taylor

Interesting to hear that TiGoat has followed Kifaru's lead in offering a liner. I'd never go to any cold or humid location without a condensation liner in a tipi. I've learned that tipis must...MUST be staked and pitched according to the numbers. A poor or "soft" pitch results in a misshapen tipi and susceptibility to wind damage. Done correctly they have better wind resistance than a geodesic dome. One very important point is to be SURE all pegs hold securely to the ground, and keep the tipi fabric pinned down snugly to Mother Earth. Gravel bars, ridge tops, tundra meadows...windy exposures...all have different needs in terms of the pegs or stakes used. Nothing looks better to me than a really tight tipi...a perfect dixie cup turned upside-down.

One final tip. Fabric expands and contracts with temp changes. During a warm afternoon a tipi can appear a bit loose in pitch, due to the expansion plus the fact that only one pole is providing tension. You can raise the center pole a notch to overcome this. At night the tipi will be even tighter and better at shedding snow or rain. Just keep watch on the pegs to be sure they don't lift over a period of several days.

I have a 12 man kifaru. My wife made the liner. I use the Kif large stove. My setup is about 10+ years old - it is the old ripstop material - not the new lightweight silnylon.

I have never used or seen the ti-goat stuff.

I have had my tipi in very windy conditions in Montana and Wyoming (eastern sides of both). Gusts up to 70mph with sustained in the mid 30's.

If you set the tipi correctly it will not come apart. Interesting on the extra guys - I actually had Kifaru sew extra tie downs into my tipi when they were repairing the very top portion (their sewing failed so they replaced it). I do like the extra tie downs, but they will not put them in any more - they said that it may cause more ripping.

I would bet that the arctic oven is much much warmer than a tipi but I cannot see one standing up to more wind.

My tipi with the one stove and good dry wood will gain about 70 degrees F over ambient - but that is at 4 foot above the floor - not on the ground where you are sleeping.

I have burned many many cords of wood in my kifaru stove. I did send the pipe back for replacement last year and they sent me a new one under warranty. The new one is much thinner material than my old pipe was.

I can ride horseback with a backpack on with my tipi and stove in the backpack and my bed roll in my saddle bags --- Do that with your arctic oven! You have to sacrifice for the lightweight.

thanks for the responses so far, on a side note........what do you think a older style 6 man Kifaru with med stove that was set up once to seal and test the stove is worth? It does have the liner as well. Im always leary of buying used equipment but it might make this affordable.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I guess I have to question "how old". It seems odd that on older unit was only ever set up once to prep it...and then never used. If it was less than 5 years old and in basically new shape, it would likely bring around 80% (m/l) of new cost. I have actually seen guys buy them for over 90%, when time was short and they wanted one badly. I'm pretty sure I could put my 8-man on the board over at Kifaru.net and it would be gone in 48 hours...used ones sell easily the majority of the time.

Now to give you something else to ponder... Kifaru has a hybrid TiPi called the sawtooth, I have one with liner and stove in the mail.
    Everything I have bought from Kifaru has been high quality and they have great customer support. Hope to be nice and warm this fall on Kodiak instead of freezing like I did last fall.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    thanks for the responses so far, on a side note........what do you think a older style 6 man Kifaru with med stove that was set up once to seal and test the stove is worth? It does have the liner as well. Im always leary of buying used equipment but it might make this affordable.
    I'd have no problem buying used - there just isn't much that can be wrong with it, and you'd save money. I lusted over the 6-man when they came out with it, but my 4-man will have to do. The Sawtooth is probably a better shelter than either the 4 or 6-man, though - vertical walls would be nice!

I've been in an 8 man Kifaru in the Brooks with 40-50 mph sustained...no problem. Used a 12 man on a moose hunt and it is palatial...cots and and the amenities. Great shelters. The 4 Dog stove we had in the 12 man is far superior to the Kifaru stove but the the Kifaru stove is collapsible...pick your poison
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I've been using a Ti-Goat Vertex 6 for a few years now. Posted a bunch of pics on it in past posts. Also wrote a review of it that is on our Alaska Backcountry Hunters site:
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/Ti-Goat%20Tent and Stove Review.pdf

Have the carbon fiber support pole with mine, and the little Ti-Goat stove. Pretty much carry it all the time, it's in the boat right now and stays in the sled all winter, nice to have something so small and lightweight it's always there and available. Was testing this back in 2006 for Ti-Goat...they didn't offer liner then, or clothesline setups, so they've made some improvements and additions since then. Great people to work with, they really care about their customers and product. They will handle wicked winds, you just have to be sure you have it staked properly.

Been in Kifarus, have to say they too make a good product. Likely like an older Ford/Chevy debate, everyone has their preferences, both will do the job well.