Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear in Garage.....

Default Black Bear in Garage.....

"We have a black bear that has been spotted at least 3 (that I know of) times in our neighborhood in east Anchorage. She does not act aggressive but has completely lost all fear of humans and traffic. On 7/15/11 my boss's wife (who lives a few streets over) reported seeing it walk down their street and check out garbage cans and various property. On 7/16/2011 I watched her walk right through the park adjacent to Pioneer drive off of Muldoon Road. She literally walked within 10 yards of a parent with an infant in a stroller. I followed the bear, along with two other men (who were taking pictures) and watched the bear enter several yards, and attempt to get into trash cans and other things. The bear continued east when I lost sight of her, which I hoped meant into the foothills outside of town.

On 7/20/2011, a neighbor informed me that he had seen it one street over the night before. Many people in the neighborhood were cleaning fish during this week, so I understood that.

Tonight, (7/26/2011) I arrived home from a church meeting around 9:30 and opened our garage door. I parked outside because I have a project going on inside the garage. I worked on this project briefly and then left the garage door open for ventilation of the chemicals I was using. I went inside briefly (approx 15 minutes) to eat something and went back to the garage to check on my work. The same black bear was inside my garage when I opened the interior garage door. The bear left, but in no hurry. I got in my car and again, followed her. I made a call to the wildlife troopers but got no response. 911 responded that they could not dispatch anybody because it was no emergency. I followed her to the end off my street where she entered another dense suburban neighborhood. She again, walked down the street and through various yards inspecting things and curiously checking things out. She cut off a man riding his bicycle with his dog, in the middle of the street. She showed no fear of the man or his barking dog but walked within 15 yards of them as if they were merely in her way.

I should mention trash day is Monday here so there was no garbage left to attract this bear.

At what point does shooting this bear become legally acceptable? She has yet to charge anyone or act aggressive, but she has clearly lost fear of humans and is routinely traveling through our neighborhood, obviously looking for food. Since the wildlife troopers or APD will not respond to or calls, what would justify shooting this bear (should she return again)? I am not looking for a reason to shoot an animal, but at this point I am beginning to fear for our safety (especially the children in this neighborhood)."

I submitted this to the ask a trooper forum, since the troopers didn't answer their phone and the APD essentially told me "well, thats nice." Has anyone else ever had to shoot a bear that wasn't charging you? What would you do at this point?

Seeing the bear 25 feet from a baby in a stroller was quite the sight. My son is 2 and likes to play outside in the front yard. I thought thats why bears don't belong in the city. If I wanted bears in my yard where my kids play, I'd move to Hope.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Don't know. I've been wondering if I can shoot a bean bag round or something like that in their butt to motivate them to move on - without being cited for discharging a firearm w/in city limits.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    "We have a black bear that has been spotted at least 3 (that I know of) times in our neighborhood in east Anchorage. She does not act aggressive but has completely lost all fear of humans and traffic. On 7/15/11 my boss's wife (who lives a few streets over) reported seeing it walk down their street and check out garbage cans and various property. On 7/16/2011 I watched her walk right through the park adjacent to Pioneer drive off of Muldoon Road. She literally walked within 10 yards of a parent with an infant in a stroller. I followed the bear, along with two other men (who were taking pictures) and watched the bear enter several yards, and attempt to get into trash cans and other things. The bear continued east when I lost sight of her, which I hoped meant into the foothills outside of town.

On 7/20/2011, a neighbor informed me that he had seen it one street over the night before. Many people in the neighborhood were cleaning fish during this week, so I understood that.

Tonight, (7/26/2011) I arrived home from a church meeting around 9:30 and opened our garage door. I parked outside because I have a project going on inside the garage. I worked on this project briefly and then left the garage door open for ventilation of the chemicals I was using. I went inside briefly (approx 15 minutes) to eat something and went back to the garage to check on my work. The same black bear was inside my garage when I opened the interior garage door. The bear left, but in no hurry. I got in my car and again, followed her. I made a call to the wildlife troopers but got no response. 911 responded that they could not dispatch anybody because it was no emergency. I followed her to the end off my street where she entered another dense suburban neighborhood. She again, walked down the street and through various yards inspecting things and curiously checking things out. She cut off a man riding his bicycle with his dog, in the middle of the street. She showed no fear of the man or his barking dog but walked within 15 yards of them as if they were merely in her way.

I should mention trash day is Monday here so there was no garbage left to attract this bear.

At what point does shooting this bear become legally acceptable? She has yet to charge anyone or act aggressive, but she has clearly lost fear of humans and is routinely traveling through our neighborhood, obviously looking for food. Since the wildlife troopers or APD will not respond to or calls, what would justify shooting this bear (should she return again)? I am not looking for a reason to shoot an animal, but at this point I am beginning to fear for our safety (especially the children in this neighborhood)."

I submitted this to the ask a trooper forum, since the troopers didn't answer their phone and the APD essentially told me "well, thats nice." Has anyone else ever had to shoot a bear that wasn't charging you? What would you do at this point?

Seeing the bear 25 feet from a baby in a stroller was quite the sight. My son is 2 and likes to play outside in the front yard. I thought thats why bears don't belong in the city. If I wanted bears in my yard where my kids play, I'd move to Hope.
    Unfortunately, posting things like this won't help your "case" if it comes to that. If/when you have to act in self defense, you don't need a bunch of "evidence" out there explaining how the animal is not aggressive in any way. The best situation you could have is the only reference you make to it is that it was coming at you and you had to shoot in self defense. I am not saying that you should do anything illegal at all, just that you want to be cautious about how you advertise things. Even if the bear becomes aggressive toward you or another, having documented statements opposing that condition will make it harder for you/them to convince those that make the determination of a good shoot.

Frozzen paintballs in a paintball gun with a lot of loud yelling will haze the bear pretty good and you want be find for discharging a firearm in the city. But knowing how the law is, they may try and site you for harasing the wildlife. It's a no win situation, just wait and be reactive when someone gets hurt versus proactive to prevent it all together.

I guess the flip side would be how many more homes and people before I can eat somebody.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Check your hunting regs. In most GMU's black bear season is year round. You may have to harvest the animal on your own property, and salvage either the hide or the meat. But, that may be a "legal" recourse. My neighbor shot one with a rifle, and only had to mark his new harvest tag. Note: You cannot use firearms to hunt moose in the Fairbanks area, but other game is legal. You just have to be concuise of what your neighbors will think is safe, or might give us hunters a public black eye.

Chris

Can't answer your main question but i think that it's time to do something!!!! Do you own a bow? Sounds like an excuse to tell the wife that you need a crossbow.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Check your hunting regs. In most GMU's black bear season is year round. You may have to harvest the animal on your own property, and salvage either the hide or the meat. But, that may be a "legal" recourse. My neighbor shot one with a rifle, and only had to mark his new harvest tag. Note: You cannot use firearms to hunt moose in the Fairbanks area, but other game is legal. You just have to be concuise of what your neighbors will think is safe, or might give us hunters a public black eye.

Chris
    It looks like he is based in Anchorage (just by the profile), so it would be illegal to discharge a firearm, even if just on their property. It also sounds like a pretty dense neighborhood, so probably not the best area to be shooting unless absolutely necessary.

From what you describe, unfortunately, it doesn't look like you could claim defense of life or property. She's not a direct threat against you (yet). From your description she does not appear to have directly threatened anyone. But I agree is will probably happen. I would call fish and Game (Jesse Coltran) and talk to her about it. I have been in a similar situation where the bear was killed by authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I would call fish and Game (Jesse Coltran) and talk to her about it. I have been in a similar situation where the bear was killed by authorities.
    That would be ideal, I think. I'd rather have the troopers take care of it, but nobody answered their phone last night.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

sounds like you are creating a problem where there isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Could you clarify what you mean by this?

Don't know about Anchorage, but around here they try to trap and relocate those bears. The troopers won't handle it, the wildlife folks do.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

If leaving my garage door open for 15 minutes is "creating a problem", I think I'm in the wrong town.

Yeah, EVERYBODY knows that a bear thats totally lost its fear of humans isn't a problem. Especially when they're walking through city neighborhoods looking for food. And those bears NEVER create problems down the line. Silly me. I thought there was a problem brewing when I saw a bear inside my house but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Don't know. I've been wondering if I can shoot a bean bag round or something like that in their butt to motivate them to move on - without being cited for discharging a firearm w/in city limits.
    Being non agressive I would call the wildlife folks. They work with these bears all the time and have authority to do just what you are saying. LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS

You knew there was a bear around and you left your garage open, unattended. That is producing a problem. I should not have said that you were"creating" a problem, as it does seem clear that the bear has already been conditioned to look for an easy meal around houses in that general area of town.

Bears look for food, it's largely what they do. Black bears, in particular, commonly look for food around human dwellings. If it weren't finding food around houses, it would not be there. If the Muni did not have a blanket ban on discharging firearms, the bear would also probably not be there.

However, I think a reasonable person in Anchorage these days should assume that there are black bears around that have lost their fear of humans and learned that human dwellings can yield easy meals. Wouldn't you agree?

Being the human in this situation, I would recommend adjusting your behavior accordingly.

I'm not sure that negative conditioning of a bear residing in a suburban area is the best idea. Relocation seems expensive but reasonable. The troopers have no role in this situation.

you say "If I wanted bears in my yard where my kids play, I'd move to Hope." It sounds to me like you should adjust your attitude a wee little bit, or maybe keep your kids inside all day long (but remember to shut the garage door or else keep the kids out of the garage too).

Anchorage isn't the only place in Alaska where kids (or adults that are childish) encounter Bears wandering around looking for food. It does seem to be the primary place where people become outraged that there are bears around doing what bears do.

Remember the bears were there first and we set up house in their hood. Just because we call it a city dosent mean the bears will be gracious enough to stay outside the boundries on some map. Anchorage or Hope it dosent matter, bears are bears, and they are going to do what bears do. They are going to scrounge for food where they can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    "At what point does shooting this bear become legally acceptable? She has yet to charge anyone or act aggressive, but she has clearly lost fear of humans and is routinely traveling through our neighborhood, obviously looking for food. Since the wildlife troopers or APD will not respond to or calls, what would justify shooting this bear (should she return again)? I am not looking for a reason to shoot an animal, but at this point I am beginning to fear for our safety (especially the children in this neighborhood)."
    Sounds like law enforcement doesnít understand the threat you perceive and youíre contemplating taking action yourself. IMO, that's a good reason to not do anything. Only suggest you become more bear aware so that if it becomes a DLP, your actions fit with due diligence.

If it bothers you that a bear goes into your garage, then keep the garage door closed. Otherwise, thatís like asking the neighbors to close their blinds because one does not want them to see one running around the yard naked.

I'm not so gracious about bears as others seem to be. Bear in garage would not fly with me. Unfortunately your in the city and laws are laws. Bear repedetly hanging out around my house where my 1 and 3 year old play is dangerous IMHO. If it where me I would find some way that that bear would be gone no question about that. Just remember your in Alaska where large portions of people feel bears should be allowed to stay in there homes after we humans have decided to settle said area, so you will get lots of flack from your fellow anchorage residents for trying to do something about it.Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast