Thread: traveling the ice

Cool traveling the ice

anyone been out to lake louise lately? how's the weather and snow out there on the lake? i'm hoping that the snow out on the lake is packed down pretty well, last thing i wanna do is get stuck in deep or slushy snow. thinking about heading out there. is the lake safe to ride across the middle on a snowmachine or 4wheeler? about how thick is the ice? i've herd that people actually drive thier trucks out there on the ice fishing and out to thier cabins is this true?this will be my first time out on the lake and just doing alittle homework before heading out. oh! by the way out on the lake where is some good trout and burbot fishing, north, south, east, or west side of the lake? first timer and much info. is greatly appreciated of the area.

I'd wager a guess that the lake ice is pretty safe for a truck, I mean people drive around on big lake eh?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Lake Louise - NO DRIVING

A few weeks ago the ice was pretty thick, 30-32" (just about extension time). I would "NOT" drive out onto the lake. The snowpack is too deep, 18" or so where we were fishing. There are also some overflow spots and open water out between Louise and Susitna Lake at the channel.

Take a snowmachine or a tracked vehicle.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    A few weeks ago the ice was pretty thick, 30-32" (just about extension time). I would "NOT" drive out onto the lake. The snowpack is too deep, 18" or so where we were fishing. There are also some overflow spots and open water out between Louise and Susitna Lake at the channel.

Take a snowmachine or a tracked vehicle.

open water don't sound too good that's good to know bro., but about the snowpack you think it's strong enough to support a 4wheeler? If you don't mind which side of the lake you were at? thanks alot for the info.

Talking No worry

The open water is no worry for a light vehicle. It is on the right-hand side of the snowgo trail between the two lakes. As long as you stay on the trail between the two lakes you should be fine. Same thing if you take a 4-wheeler. If you are on the trail you are fine but off of that you are going to have problems.

"WARNING" - much of the Lake Louise area is groomed and maintained snowgo trails, even the lake. If you take a 4-wheeler I do not know what the reaction will be from the groomers and locals. You might want to give Lake Louise Lodge a call and just mention that you want to take a 4-wheeler out. If they hang up or use several euphemisms describing where to "put your 4-wheeler", I would avoid taking one up.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Hey Barbarian,

The locals do not like you driving on the groomed trails with non-tracked vehicles. In fact, they don't much like you driving non-tracked vehicles anywhere, becuase inevitably you'll have to cross groomed trails messing up the grooming where you do.

Also, snow drifts on that lake, then hardens into big frozen waves that you can walk on but that your vehicle can get high-centered on. I speak from experience. Occasionally, there will be pressure ridges of ice that can be a foot or more high that form barriers impeding travel as well.

Take the snow machine if you have one. If not, you can walk on at a couple different locations.

Then go to ADF&Gs maps section (online) and get a map of the lake. It will give you some starting points on where to fish. Every year I catch fish in water as shallow as 6 feet and as deep as over 50 feet. Put in some time and you'll score eventually. I've caught fish N, S, E and W. Let the big ones go; they are long-lived, slow to mature (7 to 9 years old at first spawning) and take a long time to replace. Instead of killing them, take a sewing tape measure, a camera and take a quick length/girth measurement. That will allow you to calculate weight later, and the picture lasts forever.

Also, for snow, ice, overflow and trail conditions contact Patti or Ron at the Point Lodge. You can find their website on the Internet.

Thanks a bunch guys! That was some very useful information. Very helpful for when I head out there this weekend. Wish me luck guys! And anyone with more info is very much welcomed. I've never been on that lake b4 for so, anything that will help me out is awesome!!!!!