Thread: scouting moose right now?

Default scouting moose right now?

Just for something to do, I put out my game camera on a well used moose trail. After a month I got a few pictures of moose.3 different bulls and some cows. all the bulls were photod in late june early july. then nothing, just some cows at the end of july.

Im wondering what usefull info I can get from these pictures. will these bulls stay put, or will they go to a totally different place come september? Granted there are alot of rubs where this camera is so they must be in there during the rut.

Im a little concerned that no more bulls showed up after july 7th. Camera was checked on the 23rd

Anyway, here are the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

here are two more. whatcha think about these bulls? I think the first will be a fork. That 2nd one might sprout three brows. 3rd one probably wont be legal
    Attached Images Attached Images

The first is a mulligan bull and won't be legal and I don't see the second one producing three brow times but he could. Fun time out there getting pictures and learning behavior patterns.

What do you have out there that is attracting the moose to walk or visit your camera?
    Cool photos.
    BK

It has been my experience that small bulls will remain close to the cows during the summer and thru the early stages of September. The overwhelming majority of the larger bulls will be at the highest elevation within an 80 to 100 mile radius of their winter range. They will be in groups of three to five throughout the summer, from what I have seen. Then they will move down, to right at timberline...and the cows and small bull will move up to that same location to rut. There will always be few stragglers that can be found in lower reaches though...just not as many. Judging, only by the photos presented, I would not put a lot of effort in that location, myself as I tend to think my 'luck' is better in higher country.

Nice pics...
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Hey Matt. Cool pictures. IMO the second picture you posted is a forkhorn. The one in daylight that looks like he is in a slow trot or gallop. The rest of the bulls are a no go. My bet is all your bulls will be within the vicinity of your camera, but not necessarily following a set pattern like a whitetail deer. You will have to scout em out. Possibly up higher in elevation to avoid the mosquitos. At least until after the temps get a little cooler. Good luck man. Thanks for sharing the photos.

If there is thick timber in the area you may find your bulls in there. They go to the deepest hole where it's cool and less bugs. We harvested two that were laying down, still hunting the timber one hot September. Doubt they headed 80 miles in July.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Doubt your forkie will be a forkie by late aug but I imagine it is possible. I agree with jkb though I would look for a densly forested ridge and find a decent day with a little wind then walk the ridge into the wind and see what I could find. Look for rubs where they scrape their velvet and move the camera into an area near them if you do find some.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    What do you have out there that is attracting the moose to walk or visit your camera?
    Cool photos.
    BK
    I dont have anything out. I just found a well used trail through the woods. They have this trail worn down to bare dirt. they use it to travel between two boggy areas.

This weekend i hope to put the camera up in the mountains and see whats lurking around there.

Speeking of attractents, though not legal for hunting I wonder if its a problem to put out a mineral lick right now to bring them in? Plus it would be nice to get them to mill around a little so I could get multiple pictures. As of right now, I'm only getting one pic per moose for the most part. Camera is set at its fastest setting which is a 30 second interval.