Thread: e-collar and "whoa"

Default e-collar and "whoa"

Anyone have any thoughts on using an e-collar to enforce the "whoa" command?

Sure, I've got plenty of thoughts on the matter. First, the dog must learn the command in the yard without the collar. Then, after the dog is thoroughly collar conditioned, you can move to the collar to enforce the command in the yard and then the field. During your training make sure you don't use the collar on a rookie pup around birds. That comes later, much later.

I teach pointing dogs to whoa on voice, or one blast of a whistle, and/or a raised hand and facing palm, and I use a mild bit of stimulation with a collar on a trained dog if he doesn't do what I tell him to do.

That's my quick, on-the-run response. Check out George Hickox DVD on this stuff. It's money well spent.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Sure, I've got plenty of thoughts on the matter. First, the dog must learn the command in the yard without the collar. Then, after the dog is thoroughly collar conditioned, you can move to the collar to enforce the command in the yard and then the field. During your training make sure you don't use the collar on a rookie pup around birds. That comes later, much later.

I teach pointing dogs to whoa on voice, or one blast of a whistle, and/or a raised hand and facing palm, and I use a mild bit of stimulation with a collar on a trained dog if he doesn't do what I tell him to do.

That's my quick, on-the-run response. Check out George Hickox DVD on this stuff. It's money well spent.

Jim
    Thank you - that was exactly what I wanted to hear (that it wasn't completely off limits). The dog I'm talking about knows whoa, but every now and then he creeps. I've seen trainers pick the dog up and move him back when this happens. That seemed like a good idear.

Oh yes, indeed you should pick that dog up and move him back near the "scene of the crime" and staunch him up. Some trainers will issue another whoa after placing the dog back where it should have stopped in its tracks, others will say nothing.That's when I also use a hand signal to let him know he should stay there, you know, a raised open palm signal like a traffic cop would use to get you to stop for him. Whoa is whoa, all the time. Say the word once. Same as any other command, you say it just once, not Whoa, whoa, whoa, etc. I use the command each time I begin to go out a door, or let the dogs out of the kennel, or dive into the bowl of food I put down before them. I hardly ever have to say whoa in the field. I mostly use it now for safety reasons, so the dog stops all movement when I tell him to, immediately. You get the point.

Best of luck to both of you. I wish I had a pup to train right now. Love the little buggers!

Jim

ditto what jim says...the dog needs to know whoa completely and the dog needs to be collar conditioned before putting the two together...and as Jim says, teach whoa separate from birds.