Thread: .300 Winchester Magnum.

Default .300 Winchester Magnum.

I know this has been rehashed before. But is the .300 Winchester Magnum

usable on Brown Bera. Some outfitters say do not even consider anything

less than the .338. Would a .300 Winchester Magnum with 200 gr. A-

frames cut it? Would any outfitter consider taking you out if you use it?

Thumbs up .300 w.m.

bighank;

i think some outfitters would not take you with a .300 w.m./.30 caliber gun. however, i will bet that most will. a few outfitters are hung up on .33 caliber and larger minimum.

of course , shot placement is the key here, with a premium bullet like you have chosen. other good premium bullets to choose from are nosler partition, barnes, north fork, choose what you have faith in and what groups well in your gun. i would use either 200 or 220. there are many variables that will effect your shots effectiveness; range to bear, shot angle, the shooter's rest, is the bear enraged or relaxed and so on. put you shot where it needs to go and game over.

personally, i used a .340 wthby and 250 n.p. on my 11' B & C bear. they can take some killing.

good hunting...

Which outfitters will not take you if you are shooting a 300 WM?
    Tennessee

Wink .300 w.m. and 200 gr.

snowwolfe;

the outfitter, who i can't name, that i took my bear with.

initially i wanted to go with my .30-06 and 200 gr. n.p., he would not take me. this outfitter carries a .375.

then i found a great deal on a used 8 gun collection that included a mint german .300 wthby. i called and was told "that is .30 cal and he would not take me with that gun either".

i then bought a new .340 wthby and bang, bang, bang, bang reload bang flop, boone and crockett.

long story short, he is not the only one who i have seen that requires .33 cal minimum. some just "strongly recomend" a .33 or .375. if you are not going to listen to your guides recomendations before the hunt even starts, that is not a good omen for the way the trip will go.

personally, i still feel that a .30 cal, shooting heavy for caliber, premium bullets will do the job. i also feel that .30 cal is not the ideal choice...m.h.o.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

300 Winchester 200 grain Nosler Partition. 9' 10"bear.

Arrow big bear

allen;

nice photo, nice bear, nice thick hide.

Are you breaking some rule if you post the outfitters name?
    Surely this is not top secret information.
    Gorgeous bear Allen
    Tennessee

Wink

Allen, It can"t be he is not supposed to be dead?? LOL Nice bear! Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default 300 win mag

I used that calibur for twenty years. I took three brown bears and several black bears. Never a problem. Make the first shot placement good, then if the bear is still moving follow up. I had one 8 footer dropped with one shot using 180 grain he did not move bullet angled through one side and got stuck in the brisket on the other side. Great rifle very accurate. Chef

So that extra .03 inches makes all the difference on an 8-10 foot critter.... ?

I don't use a .300, but I know a buncha folks who've shot decent bears with .300s. It ain't the size of the hole in the critter that makes it dead...it's where ya put that hole!

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post

of course , shot placement is the key here,

akroadkill;

well, we agree on the importance of shot placement. i know of one well known marquis b.b. outfitter whose most popular caliber used by his clients is the .300. it must work for him and his clients. different outfitters, have different rules they run their business by.

if you feel that .03 is insignificant, then you would use a .270 for brwn bear right...

Then down to a .243? Them .03s start adding up, don't they? I don't think I'd go below a .308 diameter for 'em. But a .270 hole through the heart is better than a .338 in the ham.

Do you like the 130 or 150 gr. bullets for the .270 when hunting brwn bear?
    there was a thread on here recently about the use of the .270 for brwn bear, you may want to check it out.

so guys that use .338 can't place their shots properly? i never heard that before. personally, i shoot my .340 as well as either of my .300's or my .30-06.

do the guys who use .358, .375 and .416 miss completely?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero View Post
    Do you like the 130 or 150 gr. bullets for the .270 when hunting brwn bear?
    there was a thread on here recently about the use of the .270 for brwn bear, you may want to check it out.

so guys that use .338 can't place their shots properly? i never heard that before. personally, i shoot my .340 as well as either of my .300's or my .30-06.

do the guys who use .358, .375 and .416 miss completely?
    Now you're starting to get it cz! It still amazes me that there is an automatic assumption that if one shoots a larger cal, then you're just going to hit the ham area, whereas, if you'd shoot a smaller one, straight thru the heart. This is quite a phenomenon...but what if, and I mean by the very rare instance, that you could put a large bullet thru the heart, would it be effective even then? Ham shots with smaller calibers?? .......Nah!

NO comment, lol.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!