Thread: Chulitna River flows

Default Chulitna River flows

Any recent (within the last week or so) info about whether the East Fork is running with enough water for a 15 foot Maravia SB raft? Looks like the Big Su and Talkeetna are both running lower than median flows, so I suppose the Chulitna is too. Any reports would be appreciated.

Likewise, any current info on the status of the private takeout road near the Denali Princess hotel (upstream of bridge, river left).About a decade ago I had to haul a raft up the bank when it was closed and I'm not up for that again (and I'll just have my wife and young kids on this trip, so not much muscle to help).

Failing that, any rough estimates on float time from the Princess Bridge down to road access in Talkeetna (if there even is any -- I think I could get my boat over to the big beaches just west of town, but can you drive a vehicle out onto that beach anymore -- especially with a trailer?)

Thanks...

anyone float this recently? any updates, trip reports, water level notes would be appreciated. thx, abel6wt

Was just woundering if you are the Doug Whittaker from Kansas that I know?

I am going to float this upcoming weekend so I am also curious about flows and any new junk in the river. Doug, as far as I know there is no longer vehicle access to the beach in Talkeetna, except for the rafting guides who have a permit to access it. I don't recall the name of the outfit but the last couple of years we have paid them like $40 to ferry our gear off the beach. This year we are going past Talkeetna down to the Parks bridge at Sunshine, mile 102. Adds about 3-4 hours to the trip but you can drive right up to the pull-out.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningLeverAction View Post
    I am going to float this upcoming weekend so I am also curious about flows and any new junk in the river. Doug, as far as I know there is no longer vehicle access to the beach in Talkeetna, except for the rafting guides who have a permit to access it. I don't recall the name of the outfit but the last couple of years we have paid them like $40 to ferry our gear off the beach. This year we are going past Talkeetna down to the Parks bridge at Sunshine, mile 102. Adds about 3-4 hours to the trip but you can drive right up to the pull-out.
    The other option is the trapper creek side, you can drive to the water there. We hauled our gear from the beach to the road in talkeetna a couple of weeks ago after floating the big su, it wasn't too bad - maybe 100 yards or so.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by slickmcit View Post
    Was just woundering if you are the Doug Whittaker from Kansas that I know?
    I don't think so . . .

I went two weeks ago with a 14 round boat. We camped the second night above the braids. Due to weather we floated out the 3rd day. 11.5 hours from about 30 min above the braids to Talkeetna. Nailed all the channels so no dragging! It took about 4 hours from the princess bridge to Talkeetna. Ran into some young college kids in town so getting gear from beach to vehicle was quick! River was in good shape. No logs, river was in great shape. Ran into a group of about 6 boats that flipped one in the braids. We found it downriver quite a ways and got it to the beach for them. Not sure how it happened. Have fun.