Thread: Orvis flyline

Default Orvis flyline

Anyone on the forum use Orvis flyline? I'm wondering what those who have used it thinks of it or what you have used thats good for Salmon in 8 wt. Thanks for your help!

I have used the Orvis Wonderline WF line and it was pretty good line. If you are getting a good deal on it, probably a good move. If paying premium price ($50+), I would suggest looking at the Scientific Anglers "mastery" series lines. The GPX is the best floating line I have used. I also use the "wet tip" type III and IV sink tips from Scientific Anglers. Wonderful fishing lines in the $60 range.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Is the Scientific Anglers "mastery" series GPX line the one thats "textured & tapered"

no

that sounds like sharkskin
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think I found it. Its the GPX Taper Weight Forward Floating Fly Line ?

I love the wonderline series.... definately my favorite floating lines. They are the slickest line i have come across and they hold up really well. I also like the gpx mastery series that dan recomended but ONLY in freshwater In my experience they don't hold up as well in the salt. I don't know if it's as much the actual salt as the jagged rocky beaches here but either way the wonderline seemes to stay slicker longer and doesn't crack as quick

The wonderline WF Salmon/Steelhead taper is perfect for fishing up here

I got the gpx mastery series. We are leaving on the 14th of August. Thanks for all your help!!

Future reference consider Jim Teeny's lines direct off his Web site. http://www.jimteeny.com/ I have used Orvis in the past and I do like my wonder lines. I also fish Rio, and several SI's and the past year I started fishing Teeny lines to date they are as good as anything else I have fished and the price is comparable. Jim has helped developed a lot of what is copied and manufactures today of course there are differences in all line manufactures and coatings so not all lines are created equal.

Best Wishes and Good Luck with your purchase and your trip.

R. Mousseau
    BMR

And unlike most (all) other well known guys, Jim replies personally to his emails. Used his t300 and mini sink tips. Good stuff.

I am sure you will enjoy the SA line. Very good casting lines if you go for their premium lines as you have.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    no

that sounds like sharkskin
    Yep, sharkskin.
    I just got their magnum taper for my 7wt.
    I got a chance to use it for lakers a couple of weeks ago and it's nice but did order a crap load of finger guards for my stripping finger when I gor back from the trip.
    I was repositioning my hand at the end of a strip when I had a good take. Darn near sawed my finger off!!!!