Thread: What would you do??

Default What would you do??

Let’s say you can only hunt one week this year and you’re on the last day would you shoot this moose? Looking in the regs on pg. 33 it talks about points and how they have to be at least one inch longer than it is wide. I got that but then on Pg. 34 it talks about spike – fork moose. In their it has a little disclaimer that I don’t know how to “read”. It tells me that bulls with palmated antlers are seldom legal. What would you do??

Attached Images Attached Images

Take pictures, hope he is still around next year and that some unethical person does not shoot him. From what you are showing in this picture he is NOT going to be legal.

If it's legal.....WHACK IT!
    Pictures too fuzzy be certian if it's a fork or 3 points on this side.....however he deserves a closer look. Palmated is OK as long as it is still a fork w/no "points" that count as "points". Bumps along the paddle are fine as long as they don't qualify for a "point" by F&G standards.
    BK

My bet is by the time the season opens, his head gear will be much more defined and it won't be hard to tell legality. There was at least 3 more weeks of growth yet to occur after that photo was taken (bow season starts 8/10...). If in doubt, shoot him only with a camera.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If you are hunting an "any bull" area, pull the trigger. If a spike/fork/50" area, watch him go his merry way.

If that was the only look I got at him I dont think I would pull the trigger

I know there is still 3 more weeks and he is going to grow a little more. The reason I am asking this is becuse my self at 2 other people where debating if you could shoot it if the season was open right now.

NO WAY I'm touching him...

[QUOTE=cmp189ap;980611]I know there is still 3 more weeks and he is going to grow a little more. The reason I am asking this is becuse my self at 2 other people where debating if you could shoot it if the season was open right now.[

There is no debate, he is legal in a "bull only" area, NOT legal in a spike/fork 50"/3 or 4 brow tine ( NOT 3 or 4 points)area. If you all are debating this then someone needs to study the regulations on what defines a legal bull .

He is clearly palmated on both sides and therefor will not qualify as a spike/fork per regulations and appears to be sporting 1 brow tine per side, judging by that photo.

See pages 33 and 34 of the regulations again

When in doubt, Do Not Shoot.

I/we passed on 7 bulls we called in one season and do not regret shooting any of them due to judging them at less than 50", all had 2 brow tines per side and chances are good that 1 or more would have actualy made 50" . Better judgement ruled, as it should, the outcome of that experience, and having those bulls respond as they did was totaly worth the time spent hunting even though we returned without something for the freezer.

I hate to muddy the waters here but the only thing that prevents a paddled antler from being a spike/fork is if it results in 3 or more points on that side.

Generally, if a bull develops paddles during the first year, he will have several points by August, hence the "seldom legal" wording. This guy will clearly have 2 (or more) points on each of those paddles within another week or two, which, when added to the tine points equals not legal.

However, from what can be seen in that photo (which is NOT enough to confidently judge because you might not be seeing all the tine points) he currently qualifies as a spike, likely on both sides. There is no way that those paddles have points, but they will most definitely have several each side by August.

If you are pulling the trigger on him you better be awfully hungry.

bkmail/Andweav, has got it. If watch the tape on fishgame web site about 15 min,.50 sec.. he explains that very thing, And the debate is today not 3weeks from now, So if walked in front of you now and season was open is he,Dinner?? And we are going down to F&G with 8x10, If they say yes were have the guy sign and date it..LOL..SUNP0003 (Small).JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about more info? What GMU? Archery only, like Fairbanks? Or more of a general season? As a spike/fork- he is not going to be legal. But, in an any bull area- he will eat just fine!

Chris

I have one pretty close to just like that hanging in the garage....at Check Station I got alot of strange looks but here to tell you he eats good. The answer I got, it does not matter how wide the palm is as long as there are no points. Mine was basically a 4 to 6 inch wide palm and basically a brow tine forming a fork. I watched and took pictures of him for a week to make sure I did not miss something and shot him the last day of my hunt.

dupontspinner got it also, Did any of the others watch, the, Is this moose legal tape?? It is on F&G web site Print in search and you will see it... as stated above.. About 15min,5o sec, into you will see. He explains the palm thing with no points. And defines what is and is not.So Mr, 338WM That someone who needs to study..Just could be you...And yes this would be for a spike fork area.. Also friend mine took the 8x10 photos down to F&G todayAnd the man Said He would be legal at the time they were taken, of course 2wks from now that could change if he grows those points. we shall see..Happy hunting, Good luck to all...

Tough one for sure. He's in your back yard and there'd be no dragging involved. Hmmmmm

I know what I would do...
    Tony