Thread: Hudson Bay/MudBuddy convert.

Thumbs up Hudson Bay/MudBuddy convert.

Sometimes I'm not too sharp. It's taken about 3 years for the very experience members on this forum to convince me there is a better way.

I have my new Hudson Bay in hand, and am now waiting on the delivery of a new MudBuddy Mini HD 23 horse. The tie-breaker of the choice between the Copperhead 18 and the MB 23 was the ride I took last Sunday with Budman5 in his HB with a 23 horse MB. What a very nice rig. Handled well, excellent manners, very stable. The motor, surprisingly, was not loud. The large motored jet boats that we saw were vastly louder. Lack of neutral was no problem. Idle speed didn't present a problem. A very practical motor for our favorite large freighter.

Kandik was the first to bring the subject of surface drive motors to my attention in the long thread on Scott freighters. 7mmultramag, Budman5, John Klingel, mainer-in-alaska and FamilyMan, as well as others, were great sources of good information. Thanks to all of them.

Looking forward to getting the MB mounted and then going exploring. And my 19' Grumman is sold.

I'll post pictures once the rig's assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sometimes I'm not too sharp. It's taken about 3 years for the very experience members on this forum to convince me there is a better way.

I have my new Hudson Bay in hand, and am now waiting on the delivery of a new MudBuddy Mini HD 23 horse. The tie-breaker of the choice between the Copperhead 18 and the MB 23 was the ride I took last Sunday with Budman5 in his HB with a 23 horse MB. What a very nice rig. Handled well, excellent manners, very stable. The motor, surprisingly, was not loud. The large motored jet boats that we saw were vastly louder. Lack of neutral was no problem. Idle speed didn't present a problem. A very practical motor for our favorite large freighter.

Kandik was the first to bring the subject of surface drive motors to my attention in the long thread on Scott freighters. 7mmultramag, Budman5, John Klingel, mainer-in-alaska and FamilyMan, as well as others, were great sources of good information. Thanks to all of them.

Looking forward to getting the MB mounted and then going exploring. And my 19' Grumman is sold.

I'll post pictures once the rig's assembled.
    Congrats on your new rig. That will be one versatile boat/motor combo and take you many miles off the beaten path. I look forward to the pictures!

Hey mainer ...

If i may ask a couple questions about your opinion on .... For your long trips, how do you deal with gas on board your canoe - tank(s), and gas cans; and what spares, parts do you take? Thanks, Rick

I'm fearful we have the beginnings of a big freighter canoe/surface drive cult on our hands. As the first person in
    Alaska to have a surface drive on a freighter I accept full responsibility. And I have to be honest, I'm feeling
    a little vindicated relative to the initial skepticism. As I said, most of the skepticism came from folks who had
    never actually used a surface drive on a freighter.

Now...If I could only get one small enough for a grumman!
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

maryv ...

They do. Orion outboards, Copperhead and others have surface drives as light as 80 lbs. Check them out.

[QUOTE=Rick;980686]Hey mainer ...

If i may ask a couple questions about your opinion on .... For your long trips, how do you deal with gas on board your canoe - tank(s), and gas cans; and what spares, parts do you take? Thanks, Rick[/QUOTE

Because the props can break, a spare prop is a definite. Along with the spare prop you have to have the tools to take the prop off. Depending on your set up you might have to have a hacksaw to cut a brass washer in front of the prop. If you don't cut relief cuts in the brass washer you'll never be able to loosen the prop. My motor doesn't use a brass washer so no cutting, I'm not sure about your motor. A rubber mallet works for me but you may want to fabricate a leverage bar to remove a prop. The exterior springs that operate your carburetor(or governor) are another thing to consider. A spare belt and a good idea how to remove it might also be a possible thing to carry.

Don't get me wrong here...........you're not going to be breaking these things due to the toughness of the belt and prop. Kandik will certainly have a better understanding of that particular frame though as I've never run the Mud Buddy Mini. As far as tanks are concerned I have two 6 gallon Tohatsu tanks from a prior motor. I cut off the motor end fuel hose connector and directly connected it to the pulse fuel pump. It disconnects from the tank but not from the motor. I attached an eye bolt to the block of my engine (spare hole) adjacent to the fuel pump so that I could run the hose through the eye bolt to support it so it can't be pulled off the pump (zip tied). Two 6 gallon fuel tanks, and 15 additional gallons of gas is what I brought on my Yukon trip.

Default a call for pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have my new Hudson Bay in hand, and am now waiting on the delivery of a new MudBuddy Mini HD 23 horse.
    That should be an incredibly fine rig. Please post some pictures and if you can, also a short video of your new rig in action, on the water. As much as I love my (smaller than yours) Scott, you have now given me a wandering eye.