Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadheads for Caribou??

Default Broadheads for Caribou??

My best friend is taking a trip to Alaska next month for a Caribou bowhunt and we are wondering what are the best broadheads to use. We are thinking expandables, but not ruling out fixed blade. He shoots a Mathews Monster at 340 FPS and a Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrow. Pulling 70lbs! Any suggestions or personal experience are welcomed greatly! Thanks!

Any broadhead will work just fine as long as you put it where it needs to go. Fixed blade heads are just fine. Caribou are bigger than a deer and smaller than an elk. I use 100 grain G5 strykers and they worked good on last year's caribou.

Caribou die easy.......when any major artery or heart/lung gets a hole poked into or through it.
    Without question, the best broadheads, or bullets, or round lead balls -any projectile- to use are whatever he shoots most accurately.
    Caribou die easy...keep it simple....they are no harder to kill than a very large rabbit.

I have used Magnus SS Snuffers, Slick Tricks and some less quality Cabela's. Almost any "quality" broadhead will work but I am not a fan of expandables. Caribou so die easy as stated.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Whatever shoots best out of your bow and is legal(read reg. on "barbed" and mech. heads) is what I would use. I use or have used Shuttle T's, German Kinetic Silver Flames(broadhead i'm using this year) and Magnus stingers and all work great, some being better than others but all shooting dead on with my Fieldpoints out to 60yds. I've also used a Rage broadhead this past spring on a blackie, did the job with a great bloodtrail.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Any broadhead will work just fine as long as you put it where it needs to go. Fixed blade heads are just fine. Caribou are bigger than a deer and smaller than an elk. I use 100 grain G5 strykers and they worked good on last year's caribou.
    I'd use the G5's for caribou, they are compact and fly good in open breezy tundra. Mine shoot better than my field points

regs are no less than 40lbs draw for caribou. fixed, replaceable or mechanicals are all fine for caribou. I used Muzzy 100g on mine. Most drop within 50yds after the shot.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

NAP Mechanicals and Slick Trick 4 blades are all I use. The slick tricks fly very well in the wind compared to the muzzy's and thunderheads that I stopped using years ago. The NAP Shockwave is my favorite caribou broadhead, but I can barely find them in 125 grain any longer.

I am not much for expandables, and have always preferred cut on contact tips for big game hunting. But, as Dennis mentions, caribou just do not have the will to live that an Elk or Whitetail have. You could almost whack one with a blunt and tip it over.....JK of course.

On the dozen or so trips I've taken up there with a wide variety of buddies using different broadheads killing lots of 'bou, my experience would say use whatever flies best in his bow. They all kill just dandy when put where it belongs. From various mechanicals to Snuffers to Thunderheads and beyond. They all worked great.They die pretty quick like said earlier. And take a rangefinder...

I use montec g5's for everything moose, bear and caribou. Use whatever you are comfortable with and flies straight.

Young bulls and cows are way smaller than a full grown bull. Last year I ranged a young bull at 19 yards. Drew back, came up - second guessed my rangefinder and shot him for 40...right over his back. The younger ones are a lot smaller than they look and distance judging on the tundra can be deceitful.......

Default Magnus stingers

I shot a good bull with 100grain. I really like them fly good and are sharp!

I shot 2 Bou last year using out dated equiptment and had 2 complete pass throughs. The bow is a Martin from the early 80s shooting Easton 2218s with Zwickey broadheads at 600grs and 210 fps. I think just about any sharp broadhead will work just fine on Bou. The most important thing is does it shoot well from your bow.

I have been using NAP Hellrazors, Rage 2 blade, and Magnus Stingers. All have worked good on deer and other game. This year, I'm trying some Swacker 100-grains I got in for review.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

This year, I killed two bou with Muzzy 3 blade 100gr and my wife killed a nice bull with Slick Trick 100gr. Use what works and what you can afford. We each had 18 arrows and broadheads. Didn't need them but we had them.

I made a change this year. I've been using NAP products fairly religiously since the introduction of the Thunderhead. All have worked excellent on moose, bears, caribou, coyote, and deer. I gave the Hellrazor a try this year because of what I'd heard from trusted friends and other bowhunters. I shot a moose opening day and was most impressed. Complete pass through @ 36yds landing 20yds beyond. Perfect flight, perfect penetration, and a short 35yd run/walk and it was over. I just found myself a new favorite and I'm most certain it would work great on caribou as well. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I made a change this year. I've been using NAP products fairly religiously since the introduction of the Thunderhead. All have worked excellent on moose, bears, caribou, coyote, and deer. I gave the Hellrazor a try this year because of what I'd heard from trusted friends and other bowhunters. I shot a moose opening day and was most impressed. Complete pass through @ 36yds landing 20yds beyond. Perfect flight, perfect penetration, and a short 35yd run/walk and it was over. I just found myself a new favorite and I'm most certain it would work great on caribou as well. Food for thought.
    Those thunderheads are hard to beat man they fly really well. I might have to try some of those hellrazors out. But again the NAP Thunderheads 6 broadheads for around 40-45 bucks is hard to beat.

I never could get thunder heads to fly well. I had some black outs by redhead(made by g5) that flew ok but my Magnus stingersfly the best out of all I've tried. I took a deer with the black outs and they were good heads.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I never could get thunder heads to fly well. I had some black outs by redhead(made by g5) that flew ok but my Magnus stingersfly the best out of all I've tried. I took a deer with the black outs and they were good heads.
    whats crazy they are flying well out of my 82nd airborne... I have always been told that speed bows you will have hard time to get fixed blades to fly thats why mechanicals are real popular with speed bows. I was shooting 60yds out with the thunderheads as I said I was impressed. Thats what I plan on taking up the haul road again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast