Thread: airline rod cases

Default airline rod cases

For 4-5 8' 2pc rods. Last year i had a case from cabellas that got folded some where en route. Then on the way home I had a telescoping one that seemed tougher, but the boys in the airport snapped 2 tips off looking for bombs. You have to be careful putting it back together. [they were not] Any ideas on other makers or home made jobbers. Thanks .....D

Home Depot...pvc pipe and a cap on each end....take er down to UPS and ship it to your destination address...be it your guide, your buddy or your hotel. Cheap way to get your rods up here without the hassell of airlines loosing or breaking them. That and you have more room for gear....rain gear that is, or at the moment a parka to keep warm!!

Default Carry-On

Every time I've flown I've taken my rods/tubes as carry-on luggage. Check the current rules, they may have changed.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Rod Cases

When I made some rod holders out of pvc, I cut some foam to fit the end of each tube so if the rods shifted, they would hit against the foam and not the end caps.

Thumbs up PVC Pipe

PVC Pipe is a great way to go. Foam on each end - rods in good rod socks.

Go the PVC route, I have done it like that for many years and never had a problem.

Doug

Default Carry them with you...

For over 2 decades I have been breaking down my poles and have carried them with me on-board wrapped with tiny bungi cords. No one messes with them but me, they arrive when I do, and I don't get gigged for the extra check.

Hold them in your seat until the bin above you is filled. Then put them in. If you are lucky enough to be flying First Class, merely ask the attendant to hang them in the wardrobe closet on a hanger.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Four words: PVC pipe, bubble wrap. I've carried rods all over the place from Super Cubs to 747s and not had a problem. Of course I don't think TSA has opened the case but if they did they re-packed very carefully.

Default Rod Cases

I have tried carrying my sticks on with me. However, they didn't fit in the over head bins because the the two pieces exceeded the bin length (8'6" & 9') rods. They won't find under the seat either. The Boeing 737's have locker closets that will fit the rods, but the MD 80's do not. Cabelas has some light weight tubes that will hold up to five rods. Check out the Magnum rod case. Much lighter than the PVC tube from the hardware store.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...325&id=0002072

Wink Rod cases

Trust me, the pvc is well worth the little extra weight, not to mention the cost.

I made a PVC tube with one glued-on cap and one screw-off (clean-out) cap at least 20 years ago. It's still in good shape. These days I prefer fly rods. All of my fly rods are 9' 2-pc and I carry them in individual tubes and tape them together. My wife has a new Sage 4-pc rod. I'll never buy a 2-pc again. I really like the convenience of carrying a short tube.