Thread: Question..??? Crescent Lake to Tern Lake...??

Default Question..??? Crescent Lake to Tern Lake...??

Requesting information on the trail from Crescent Lake to Tern Lake......??? Can a fat old man navigate the trail...?? What is that leg called...??? Is there a trail head at Tern Lake.....?? Thank You.

I drove on it aways a very long time ago. The trees were closing in on it then scrape, scrape. Its actually an old road. I believe it was once part of the Sterling Highway until it got rerouted. As I recall it was all pretty flat the only question is if its overgrown now and that I don't know. I didn't get all the way to Tern Lake I remember turning around somewhere and going back out the way I went in.

You might want to call the Chugach National Forest, Seward Ranger district and ask to speak to the trails supervisor and see if they maintain it or know of its condition.

Thewolfwatching

"Crescent & Carter Lakes Trail

Steep elevation in beginning on Carter Creek side, then the trail flattens out. Crescent Trail side is a very gradual elevation gain but longer to the lake.
    Hike Summary: Half day to several day hikes. Length: Total: 21.5 Crescent Creek Trail: 6.5 Carter Creek Trail: 5.5 Primitive Trail around south side of lake: 9.5 Elevation: Elevation gain 1500 ft. Best Season: June to September. Difficulty: Moderate Nearest Reference Point: 35 miles north of Seward. Special Feature: Scenery & fishing. Trailhead Location: Drive 7 miles west of the Seward/Sterling Highway "Y" junction and turn south onto the Quartz Creek road. Drive 3.5 mikes past the Crescent Creek Campground to the parking area on the left. Hike Details: Mile 0 Crescent Creek Trailhead. Mile 3.5 Crescent Creek bridge. Mile 6.5 West end Crescent Lake. Junction to Crescent Lake Cabin, .01 mile. Mile 11 Crescent Saddle Cabin. Mile 14.5 East End Crescent Lake. Mile 16 Carter Lake. Mile 18 Carter Lake Trailhead.

Thewolfwatching

Sorry, never been but quoted from, "http://www.alaskalegends.com/alaska_hiking.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewolfwatching View Post
    "Crescent & Carter Lakes Trail"

Steep elevation in beginning on Carter Creek side, then the trail flattens out. Crescent Trail side is a very gradual elevation gain but longer to the lake.
    Hike Summary: Half day to several day hikes. Length: Total: 21.5 Crescent Creek Trail: 6.5 Carter Creek Trail: 5.5 Primitive Trail around south side of lake: 9.5 Elevation: Elevation gain 1500 ft. Best Season: June to September. Difficulty: Moderate Nearest Reference Point: 35 miles north of Seward. Special Feature: Scenery & fishing. Trailhead Location: Drive 7 miles west of the Seward/Sterling Highway "Y" junction and turn south onto the Quartz Creek road. Drive 3.5 mikes past the Crescent Creek Campground to the parking area on the left. Hike Details: Mile 0 Crescent Creek Trailhead. Mile 3.5 Crescent Creek bridge. Mile 6.5 West end Crescent Lake. Junction to Crescent Lake Cabin, .01 mile. Mile 11 Crescent Saddle Cabin. Mile 14.5 East End Crescent Lake. Mile 16 Carter Lake. Mile 18 Carter Lake Trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewolfwatching View Post
    Sorry, never been but quoted from, "http://www.alaskalegends.com/alaska_hiking.html
    You should go it is a very nice trail. What I was questioning is: I kind of remember that there was a way to come off Crescent Lake, and end up at the back of Tern Lake. I think it was more of a goat trail than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You should go it is a very nice trail. What I was questioning is: I kind of remember that there was a way to come off Crescent Lake, and end up at the back of Tern Lake. I think it was more of a goat trail than anything.
    Okay now thats a trail I am unaware of. The one I was referring to starts at the base of Crescent Lake Trail and runs sorta parallel to the present Sterling Highway to Tern Lake. A much lower elevation than a goat trail starting at Crescent Lake. Interesting AGL4now.

Crescent lake
    cl13.JPG

Thewolfwatching

I might.. thanks..

I drove my '06 crew cab down it a year or two ago. Its basically flat, and would be a fine walk for anyone that can tie their own shoes and pack a gun for bear protection. Probably not wheel chair accessible though.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hunter View Post
    I drove my '06 crew cab down it a year or two ago. Its basically flat, and would be a fine walk for anyone that can tie their own shoes and pack a gun for bear protection. Probably not wheel chair accessible though.

Wow, I am truly impressed, you drove to "CRESCENT" Lake and Back..........??? I will pay a lot of money to see you do it again, alot of money.

Ha! Sorry, I was thinking you said Crescent Creek to Tern Lake. oops

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hunter View Post
    Ha! Sorry, I was thinking you said Crescent Creek to Tern Lake. oops
    No worries, I am going to walk'about up in the Crescent Lake area, and see what I can find.

Last summer I walked the north shore of Crescent Lake to about half way up the lake. I didn't see any trail that led up into the mountains, it turns into a game trail along the lake shore real quick once you pass the tent camping area. So, if the trail exists I would think it would be somewhere around the cabin or tent camping area or just back downstream after you cross the last bridge.

I have walked into Crescent Lake from both sides and all the way around it both directions. I have not seen what appeared to be a trail leading up and over the hills to the north of the lake, that would take one to Tern Lake.
    I have gone in on the trail from Crescent Creek to Tern Lake...easy trail that is now, pretty much over grown and has to be walked. From that trail, I went to the south up behind Tern Lake....Rough, real rough climb...So rough, that when I finally got to the Black Bear I was after, I declined the shot. One of the few times I don't regret...IF there is a trail up, I did not find it and it must surely be a Goat Trail...indeed. If you find it, post it up...as I wouldn't mind doing it again, but not a repeat of my earlier trip.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

No worries, I am going to walk'about up in the Crescent Lake area, and see what I can find.
    Take lots of pictures, thats a beautiful area!