Thread: Pruning tomatoes?

Default Pruning tomatoes?'s happening...AGAIN.....the tomatoes are taking over the greenhouse. I keep saying I'm going to try it, but I'm afraid to. What do you think about topping an indeterminate tomatoe plant? I was thinking it may start to bush more instead of growing taller if you top it. If I top it, am I shooting myself in the foot for any new blooms forming?

Also, I guy I used to work with swore up and down that pruning the tomatoe plant of any limbs that didn't have blooms or fruit on them expdited the growth of the fruit and made it grow bigger. What are your thoughts on that?

I hate do go in and cut up something I've been nurtering since Feb/March........but I'd do it if it meant a bigger yield and freed up some room in the greenhouse.

Alaska, Mat valley

I prune the tops on mine now. The blooms now won't make tomatoes by seasons end without supplemental heat.
    I also prune the lower leaves (compost) & prune lots of the cuc leaves.
    I keep the suckers pinched off too.
    I get mold starting next month if I don't thin the foliage some. The inside circulation fans helps but.
    I'll do a severe prune in a few weeks when I first start seeing mold & the nights get cooler but i think you have to leave some leaves to keep the sap circulating & feed the plant's fruit. Maybe he's right, but I think some part of the plant needs to be doing photosynthesis.
    Anyway, now I'm pruning the tops (which are skinny & spindly) & a few bottom leaves.

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

Your friend is right. Tomatoes MUST be pruned and frequently. Take off every sucker as soon as it appears. When the plant gets as tall as you want, start nipping the tips. Yes, it will want to make new ones, but just keep them trimmed back and you'll be rewarded with fruit.

Also, snip any individual leaf that shows any sign of damage or deterioration immediately. Damaged & dying leaves just rob energy from elsewhere, so get rid of 'em.

Even towards the end of the season, you want to keep a lot of branches and leaves, but there comes a point where you want to start pinching off all new flower buds as soon as they appear and let the plant work entirely on ripening the existing fruit.

And definitely stay away from high nitrogen fertilizers through the last half of the growing season.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

OK.....Pruning I go....I guess I'll see ho wit works out. I can barely walk through the greenhouse right now.

Thanks for your help guys......